• 38 degrees ?

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 37.6 degrees ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Taking a simple unscientific poll what does this thermometer read? Pretend you are a scientist in 1902 and have to read and record a thermometer every day.

14601281231197.jpg

And no cheating by blowing it up, you don't have that luxury in 1902.

Last edited:
It reads 'you're not spending enough money on your weather stations you cheapskates'. Don't buy Walmart thermometers for accurate recording of data. No wonder you don't trust your scientists.

But it all depends on what part of the scale markings it was calibrated to. That is basic. I guess it's a bit sophisticated for the plastics industry which doesn't seem to understand the concept that many measuring devices in science must be calibrated to be of use.

Last edited:
It reads 'you're not spending enough money on your weather stations you cheapskates'. Don't buy Walmart thermometers for accurate recording of data. No wonder you don't trust your scientists.

But it all depends on what part of the scale markings it was calibrated to. That is basic. I guess it's a bit sophisticated for the plastics industry.

lol....I copied this picture from one of old rocks posts in another thread.

Thanks for your post

Taking a simple unscientific poll what does this thermometer read? Pretend you are a scientist in 1902 and have to read and record a thermometer every day.

14601281231197.jpg

38.8 degrees

However that's not the point. It makes no difference really. As long as the person reading it is being consistent.

Damn I fucked up part of my OP, (my two points I was trying to make) I was only 2 years off though.

The Sort of Sad Death of the Mercury Thermometer

NIST, as a federal government agency, served as a clearinghouse where everyone could get thermometers matched to a precise and uniform standard under controlled conditions. NIST started calibrating mercury thermometers (usually in ice baths) in 1901, and the thermometers became ingrained in our scientific culture.

Where are you getting all these readings? Doesn't it say 39 degrees? I've already got trifocals. Can't do any better than that.

My AGW friends think it reads 80 degrees F.

are you in much pain? because clearly your brain is foggy
Oh Jilly baby how I have missed you so...

I sure hope you aren't sweating your ass off due to global warming....ops I mean climate change....ops I mean the WORLD IS COMING TO AN END....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....big ears will save us!!!

14601281231197.jpg

38.8 degrees

However that's not the point. It makes no difference really. As long as the person reading it is being consistent.

True on the consistent part.

What we're looking for is change. Change up or down. Okay, we don't have massively accurate readings in the past, and now we have more accurate readings in some parts of the world and less so elsewhere.

That doesn't mean data from the past is not worthy of being looked at. It just means that people need to be aware of the fact.

We still don't have 100% accurate reading of temperature. However the consistency can tell us a lot about the changes in temperature.

Forum List

Back