A Personal View of the Nevada Caucus

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Various dictionaries define a caucus as a meeting or assembly of people with shared concerns within a political party.

Was that what happened in Nevada yesterday?

Not in my view.

I arrived at the polling place about a half hour after the doors opened. The line was huge. A young man in line just ahead of me said he 'd counted about 260 people in line ahead of us. (There appeared to be no separate line for old gimps like me, so I just settled in for the ordeal. I didn't see a single person turn around and leave due to the expected wait.)

An hour and a half later, I reached the door and a young man in a suit asked to see my voter registration card. He then pointed me to a table with a volunteer – one of many. She checked my card and had me show my photo ID, very carefully comparing it with my card. She then found the precinct book and my name so I could sign on the dotted line. Only then did she give me my ballot – a simple sheet of paper with the names of the candidates in alphabetical order. She told me to look around to find the table with my precinct number on it as she had no idea where it was. Fortunately, it was close and I walked over. Another volunteer stood there with envelopes. I checked my choice on the ballot and she had me drop it into the proper envelope.

I was done and my dear wife – who is not a citizen but was waiting just inside the door to help me to the car – and we left.

That was it! No candidate reps. No discussions other than what we held while in line. And no campaigning. Not one bit different than any other election I've ever participated in.

So?

First, it was in no way, shape, or form what the definition of a caucus says it should be.

I've already see whining of “voter fraud” from Leftist reporters and talking heads on TV. Bullshit! Unlike the Dimbocraps where everyone just showed up, did not have to show ID or proof of already being registered in the party, the Republican party affair was one of the most legitimate one I've ever seen. EVERY SINGLE VOTER WAS SCRUTINIZED AND HAD TO PROVE THEIR ELIGIBILITY BEFORE VOTING.

I thought it was going to be a time to select delegates to the county caucus coming up next. I learned that a young man in line with me had already registered as a delegate. Paying $40 to do so! He had to pay to be a delegate? What was that all about? That was nowhere in anything I could find online. He couldn't explain why or what it entailed only that he had been required to sign a document stating he would represent the will of the voters of the precinct or he could face prosecution.

Who was there to vote? I live in North Las Vegas and there is a reasonable minority population. They were almost entirely absent at the caucus. Those there were clearly veterans and most of their wives were Asian – and citizens. And, from listening to those in line, most were there to make it known they prefer a Republican over Bernie or Shrillary. Every single one of them was disappointed and disgusted with Obama and his policies. They will clearly support ANY GOP candidate.

Everyone I talked to also said this was a big turnout compared to previous ones.

And finally, after so much time in line, I simply couldn't hang around to see if there was going to be an actual caucus. I was disappointed but, as there were no candidate reps and almost less than a handful of GOP regulars, I don't think I missed anything.

As for the results. Others told me and I saw it for myself on TV that the ballots were counted by one person and verified by two others with an observer there. And, just plain citizens stood around to make sure everything was up and up. I am secure that my vote was counted and tabulated properly. I also know the envelope with the actual ballots will be taken to the GOP headquarters to ensure their validity.

Unlike the Dimbocrap debacle, I personally feel the GOP caucuses were fair and free of voter fraud. MY VOTE IS GOING TO COUNT.

So, who did I vote for? No secret to anyone who's seen my previous post – the one who will cause the widest number of people to show up in November ensure that the Dimbocrap nominee doesn't win – The Donald.

And, it says something that the supposed “hometown” of Rubio didn't give him more support.

On to November!

Longknife, kudo's my friend. Thank you for following up on your post concerning "Help me Out". In that post you mentioned that you would attend a caucus and now you have. Thank you for your time and effort. We, the old guys and gals are a dying breed and belief in the American Way is dying with us. May God help the younger generations if today is representative of the future. I chuckle when the younger folks, and "Matthew" rave about how wonderful and modernized things are with todays technological advances. An "hour and a half" in line, now that is truly an advancement! Kinda makes one remember the old Army saw of "mind over matter". "The Army don't mind and the troops don't matter". From one "old troop" to another, Stay well Longknife, and again, Kudo's to you.

I've already see whining of “voter fraud” from Leftist reporters and talking heads on TV. Bullshit! Unlike the Dimbocraps where everyone just showed up, did not have to show ID or proof of already being registered in the party, the Republican party affair was one of the most legitimate one I've ever seen. EVERY SINGLE VOTER WAS SCRUTINIZED AND HAD TO PROVE THEIR ELIGIBILITY BEFORE VOTING.

Unlike the Dimbocrap debacle, I personally feel the GOP caucuses were fair and free of voter fraud. MY VOTE IS GOING TO COUNT.

Good report except for that partisan bullshit I quoted. So you dismiss the rampant reports of GOP fraud because you were personally there and had a good experience (if you can call a 2 hour wait a good experience) but scarf down reports about Democrat fraud because the media that you say is a bunch of liars told you that it happened. You're the worst kind of partisan hack.

Me and my son went to the Nevada Republican Caucus last night. At least half of the delegates were wearing Trump shirts and buttons.

I was given a number of my precinct and I looked around and found it. I told them my Dad wanted me to vote for Marco Rubio, but I favored Ted Cruz. A nice lady talked my ear off about how great Ted Cruz, and I finally decided I would vote for Ted Cruz. My son told her that he had come to the caucus to vote for Ted Cruz.

However, I have now learned that Donald Trump won big in Nevada, which didn't surprise me because people in Nevada are hurting financially, and angry, and Donald Trump is appealing to people who are angry. He talks tough about punching people in the face, and roughing people up. He bragged that he could stand on Fifth Avenue and shoot people, and his mindless supporters would still vote for him.

I feel like our nation's last chance to recover from the bad times is slipping away. I wanted a Republican President who would get us back to "normalcy" but that's not going to happen. If Trump is President, there will be absolute chaos and there's no predicting what could happen. Trump is an idiot and he surrounds himself with "yes men" so there is no one telling him he should stop acting like a bully and a thug.

I feel like our nation's last chance to recover from the bad times is slipping away. I wanted a Republican President who would get us back to "normalcy" but that's not going to happen. If Trump is President, there will be absolute chaos and there's no predicting what could happen. Trump is an idiot and he surrounds himself with "yes men" so there is no one telling him he should stop acting like a bully and a thug.

Care to define "normalcy?"

I want nothing to do with what passed for normalcy over the last few decades.
I look at it like this. We've withstood the worst Barry has thrown at us for the last seven years.
If Trump turns out to be full of crap I still dont see him doing as much damage as Barry in the four years he'll have,and at the very least he'll get rid of some of those EOs the messiah has penned.

I feel like I'm living in the last days of the Weimar Republic. I can see the dark days ahead, but there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Normalcy Definition

A word used by President Warren Harding to describe the calm political andsocial order to which he wished to return the United States after theidealism and commotion of the presidency of Woodrow Wilson.

Note : Normalcy has been used as a general term for the politicalclimate in the United States in the early 1920s.

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition

the definition of normalcy

I feel like I'm living in the last days of the Weimar Republic. I can see the dark days ahead, but there's nothing I can do to stop it.

You already did something just by going to the caucus! Makes no difference who you voted for. The amazing turnout has to send a message to ALL sitting politicians at all levels that WE THE PEOPLE are sick and tired of "politics as usual" and won't tolerate it any more.

And, don't forget this:

June 14, 2016 - Primary Election (Federal/State): Vote 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Election Day at Your Assigned Polling Place,
A Primary Election is a preliminary (nominating) election to select, when necessary, Democratic, Republican and nonpartisan candidates who will run in the General Election contests (except candidates for special district offices because they will only appear in the General Election). The direct vote of the people selects the candidates, rather than votes of convention delegates. In State/Federal Elections, Nevada has CLOSED Primary elections.

So, we aren't done yet. We've still got state and local candidates to deal with too - along with congress seats.

1004976603_gop_caucus_022_6_12.jpg

This is where I went to vote. If you will note, it wasn't ALL old white men and women!

And this

1004976603_gop_caucus_022_2_12.jpg

(These came from today's edition of the Las Vegas Review/Journal)

The school district has used this design for numerous high schools, so this room looks exactly like the room where I went, except for the team name on the wall.

The school district has used this design for numerous high schools, so this room looks exactly like the room where I went, except for the team name on the wall.

Agreed. The R/j article had pictures from a variety of schools and every single one of them looked the same!

Forum List

Back