A Note on Hypocrisy

QUENTIN

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2008
Texas
So I've noticed a trend lately. While it happens all over, it's pretty prevalent here.

1.) A conservative or Republican criticizes Obama for something Bush did as well, that they did not criticize when Bush did it.

Example: Obama plays so much golf! Does the guy ever work? (Bush spent more of his presidency on vacation than any other president in our history)

or

Example: Obama bowed to the Saudi prince! We should be up in arms over this for some reason! (Prince Bandar is one of George Bush's closest and oldest friends, was his first official guest in the aftermath of 9/11, they had lots of business dealings prior to his presidency and he is known by the Bush family as "Bandar Bush." Bush's relationship to the Saudis is far more significant and deferential than Obama's)

or

Example: Obama criticizes and won't give interviews to Fox News! He's trying to censor them! (Bush not only refused to answer questions throughout his presidency from adversarial journalists and blackballed those who gave him unfavorable coverage, he actually imprisoned foreign journalists who criticized his war and bombed Al Jazeera's UN-protected offices multiple times)

2.) A liberal or Democrat points out that Bush did the same thing, or was even more egregious in his quite similar actions.

Example: Where was all your concern for the integrity of the Constitution when George Bush ignored the first and fourth amendment, spied on Americans without warrants, and imprisoned people without trials? Where was your support for the right to protest when you were calling anti-Administration protesters anti-American traitors? Why did you only find your small government roots when it wasn't your guy borrowing us into oblivion anymore?"

3.) The conservative or Republican responds by mocking the liberal/Democrat as playing a childish "you started it" game or having "Bush Derangement Syndrome."

Example: "BOOHOO! Bush did it first! Is that seriously all you can come up with to defend Hussein here? You libtards sure are childish and simple. ROFLMAO!!!!1"

All I want to point out is that a valid criticism of Obama, or anyone else, is a valid criticism based on its merit alone. When a conservative complains about something Obama has done that they either sat idly by or more often vocally supported when Bush did the same and get called out on that fact, it's not an excuse or justification for Obama's actions if they are indeed wrong. It's not attempt to say "Well it's okay Obama did it because Bush did it." Instead, it simply asserts that regardless of the merit and substance of the actual criticism, you can't criticize him for it without revealing yourself as a disingenuous hypocrite playing an empty partisan game because you didn't complain about it until it wasn't your party doing it. It may in fact be a terrible policy or ignoble action, but if Bush and Obama both did it, it can't only be wrong for one of them. That's all. It's not "two wrongs make a right," but rather "The pot shouldn't call the kettle black."

And certainly, those who criticized Bush for things Clinton did as well without chastising Clinton for the same are equally worthless hypocrites. And back through time ad infinitum...

Last edited:
Almost as hypocritical as running a campaign on a mantra of "Hope and change", and then use "they did it too" as an excuse to keep doing the same things.

99.9% of them are all fuckin' hypocrites, regardless of party affiliation, same as people who are in the tank for their respective parties.

So I've noticed a trend lately. While it happens all over, it's pretty prevalent here.

1.) A conservative or Republican criticizes Obama for something Bush did as well, that they did not criticize when Bush did it.

Example: Obama plays so much golf! Does the guy ever work? (Bush spent more of his presidency on vacation than any other president in our history)

or...
Well, right off the bat, Obama has played more golf in the first nine months than Bush did in his entire first term.

And the hypocrisy belongs to the D's on this because they criticized Bush, but justify Obama without a fuss.

so as you said "ad infinitum" ad absurdum, because all your examples starting with that first one deserve a fair appraisal, and examination, which one doubts you have given them; They are only talking points for the left, and an indication of thin skin.

Last edited:
2.) A liberal or Democrat points out that Bush did the same thing
This is "Appeal to Mom" which is a logical fallacy. It's basically "Mom, the other kid did it too" and it's never worked, even on Mom. It's in the "bandwagon" category of logical fallacies, and most mature people stop using it around age eight, when Mom raps them in the mouth for trying it.

This infantile defensive/deflection tactic is actually an argument against Obama, since there was supposed to be change there should be no comparisons in existence to anything Booooosh did or said. If there is, where's the change we voted for?

You're also making assumptions of facts not in evidence for your "hypocrisy" case, with the broad brush "cons never had a problem with Boooosh doing that" when in fact, you don't know what they had a problem with. This is unless you have a massive database of all "cons" positively self-identified, and ALL on record as not having ANY gripes about things Boooosh said/did.

The fact is, you do not know, therefore you assume. Another weak debate tactic.

You also seem to think your OP here represents some kind of revelation, or light-bulb moment, something representing original thought, when in fact it's old regurgitated WH kool-aid which has been indiscriminately imbibed and bazooka barfed for almost eight months, at least.

In a word, fail. Or flail. Or both.

or

Example: Obama bowed to the Saudi prince! We should be up in arms over this for some reason! (Prince Bandar is one of George Bush's closest and oldest friends, was his first official guest in the aftermath of 9/11, they had lots of business dealings prior to his presidency and he is known by the Bush family as "Bandar Bush." Bush's relationship to the Saudis is far more significant and deferential than Obama's)

or

Example: Obama criticizes and won't give interviews to Fox News! He's trying to censor them! (Bush not only refused to answer questions throughout his presidency from adversarial journalists and blackballed those who gave him unfavorable coverage, he actually imprisoned foreign journalists who criticized his war and bombed Al Jazeera's UN-protected offices multiple times)

2.) A liberal or Democrat points out that Bush did the same thing, or was even more egregious in his quite similar actions.

Example: Where was all your concern for the integrity of the Constitution when George Bush ignored the first and fourth amendment, spied on Americans without warrants, and imprisoned people without trials? Where was your support for the right to protest when you were calling anti-Administration protesters anti-American traitors? Why did you only find your small government roots when it wasn't your guy borrowing us into oblivion anymore?"

3.) The conservative or Republican responds by mocking the liberal/Democrat as playing a childish "you started it" game or having "Bush Derangement Syndrome."

Example: "BOOHOO! Bush did it first! Is that seriously all you can come up with to defend Hussein here? You libtards sure are childish and simple. ROFLMAO!!!!1"

All I want to point out is that a valid criticism of Obama, or anyone else, is a valid criticism based on its merit alone. When a conservative complains about something Obama has done that they either sat idly by or more often vocally supported when Bush did the same and get called out on that fact, it's not an excuse or justification for Obama's actions if they are indeed wrong. It's not attempt to say "Well it's okay Obama did it because Bush did it." Instead, it simply asserts that regardless of the merit and substance of the actual criticism, you can't criticize him for it without revealing yourself as a disingenuous hypocrite playing an empty partisan game because you didn't complain about it until it wasn't your party doing it. It may in fact be a terrible policy or ignoble action, but if Bush and Obama both did it, it can't only be wrong for one of them. That's all. It's not "two wrongs make a right," but rather "The pot shouldn't call the kettle black."

And certainly, those who criticized Bush for things Clinton did as well without chastising Clinton for the same are equally worthless hypocrites. And back through time ad infinitum...

Why are you liberals such fucking cry babies?

But... but.... but..... Buuuush!!

As I've noticed, everything hte Left says about conservatives is true. But it is true about liberals. The OP is no different.

I love how these uber-lefties attempt to change history to think that all republicans or conservatives fully supported anything Bush ever did... and then attempt to use that in their 'but Booooooooooosh' defense tactics for Obama

priceless

A Note on Hypocrisy

That's because politics in America is like a team sport. Most people are under the impression that they must either vote for the 'Red' or the 'Blue' team or risk wasting their vote. There have been moments of lucidity in recent years. In 1992, Ross Perot received 18.9% of the popular vote. That's nearly 1 in 5. What a great time for the country. Of course, he didn't receive even 1 Electoral vote, but it's a start. Let's hope that happens again in the near future.

you guys are doing JUST WHAT HE POINTED OUT that you do, no?

Admit your mistakes....is what you should do.

Admit that you sat idly by while your man did the same things as obama OR WORSE.....

The truth will set you free and open your eyes to what is really going on here....

And to the author of this thread:

All that you are saying is TRUE about most of the Conservatives, I agree.

But why not take it a step further and ask yourself, when Bush was in power and he did these things that were violations of the constitution or kissing with the Saudi Prince, or sending more troops to War, or his and the conservative's deficit spending, you screamed from the rooftops about it....

Where is this screaming from the rooftops about these SAME TYPE THINGS when the Obama administration does them?

It seems like it is the same thing that you are rightfully bitching about....only it is Dems that are letting "their man" slide....same as what the Republicans did with president Bush, no?

Care

Admit that you sat idly by while your man did the same things as obama OR WORSE.....

The truth will set you free and open your eyes to what is really going on here....

But why not take it a step further and ask yourself, when Bush was in power and he did these things that were violations of the constitution or kissing with the Saudi Prince, or sending more troops to War, or his and the conservative's deficit spending, you screamed from the rooftops about it....

Where is this screaming from the rooftops about these SAME TYPE THINGS when the Obama administration does them?

It seems like it is the same thing that you are rightfully bitching about....only it is Dems that are letting "their man" slide....same as what the Republicans did with president Bush, no?

Care

And on cue.. just as I stated.. another uber-lefty trying to rewrite history... like Conservatives did not criticize many decision of Bush and his administration... especially on spending...

And don't you dare let truth get in the way of leftist hype on the typical parrot points like 'violations to the constitution'

Absolutely laughable

Care

And on cue.. just as I stated.. another uber-lefty trying to rewrite history... like Conservatives did not criticize many decision of Bush and his administration... especially on spending...

And don't you dare let truth get in the way of leftist hype on the typical parrot points like 'violations to the constitution'

Absolutely laughable

Republicans didn't, just show me where ya did and i will eat my words....there was no criticism of president bush of any kind of significance UNTIL Conservatives LOST their BUTTS in the 2006 election....then we started to hear slight murmurs....but you went a good solid 6 years of letting the republicans do as they wish, DEFICIT SPEND until the cows came home or like drunken sailors or like there was no tomorrow....I'm sorry, but you all let them do this, with hardly a murmur....you even reelected President Bush in 2004...while our national debt went from 5.6 trillion to 11.2 trillion....it is rewriting history to say otherwise imo dave....

And I am not negating that a few of you more independent leaning types did not complain some near the end about spending....

Do you really think we added 6-7 trillion to the national debt, when all said and done, in 8 years because you all didn't support your man?

It's laughable alright....

Each side of the aisle does the same thing...you are no different, dems are no different...each are blindly supporting "their man".....Dems are no different than you....and this does not mean I am justifying it, because I am not.

I love how these uber-lefties attempt to change history to think that all republicans or conservatives fully supported anything Bush ever did... and then attempt to use that in their 'but Booooooooooosh' defense tactics for Obama

priceless

Offhand, the only things that conservatives showed any consensus objection to when Bush did it were Harriet Miers and some immigration stuff. I'm sure someone will want to claim some other things.

The statement forwarded here is an accurate assessment of what happens. The difference for me is, I get put into the Republican camp, while an Independent. Also, Mr. Obama made it quite clear he was going to rise above what Presidents had done in the recent past. In addition to the transparency and other change promised, he rode to office on NOT being Bush. Sort of a disappointment when he does the same thing, don't you think?

As I recall the situation. President Bush did not run on hope change and transparency. but obammie did. and what President Bush did took eight years, obammie has outpaced him by 7. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back