Pelosi asked if Constitution authorizes Congress to make Americans buy Health Ins

Her answer is not suprising since she despises the Constitution.

When Asked Where the Constitution Authorizes Congress to Order Americans To Buy Health Insurance, Pelosi Says: 'Are You Serious?'

Quote:
When CNSNews.com asked House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday where the Constitution authorized Congress to order Americans to buy health insurance--a mandate included in both the House and Senate versions of the health care bill--Pelosi dismissed the question by saying: “Are you serious? Are you serious?”

Pelosi's press secretary later responded to written follow-up questions from CNSNews.com by emailing CNSNews.com a press release on the “Constitutionality of Health Insurance Reform,” that argues that Congress derives the authority to mandate that people purchase health insurance from its constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce.

The exchange with Speaker Pelosi on Thursday occurred as follows:

CNSNews.com: “Madam Speaker, where specifically does the Constitution grant Congress the authority to enact an individual health insurance mandate?”

Pelosi: “Are you serious? Are you serious?”

CNSNews.com: “Yes, yes I am.”

Pelosi then shook her head before taking a question from another reporter. Her press spokesman, Nadeam Elshami, then told CNSNews.com that asking the speaker of the House where the Constitution authorized Congress to mandated that individual Americans buy health insurance as not a "serious question."

“You can put this on the record,” said Elshami. “That is not a serious question. That is not a serious question.”

UHC will definitely be challenged in court. Judge Napolitano said that it will be defeated. So let the dems spin their wheels until 2010.

Technically, it is a dumb, nearly rhetorical question.

Article One vests legislative power in the Congress, meaning it can make any law if it is passed in the proscribed way and does not directly contradict an existing Constitutional law without that second law being properly amended in the proscribed way.

Article One said:
The Congress shall have power...
To lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defence and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

The Constitution doesn't need to specifically enumerate Congress's ability to pass laws on each individual subject and issue it could predict might come up 200+ years later. It vests in the Congress fairly broad powers to create laws, only constraining them in the manner required to pass legislation into law and that the law not contradict a pre-existing law without properly amending it.

Of course the fact that Congress can pass this miserable law, doesn't mean it should.

Article One vests legislative power in the Congress, meaning it can make any law if it is passed in the proscribed way * * * *

If they purportedly pass a law in a proscribed way it is no law at all.

So, inadvertently, you came close to saying something correct, but you bolluxed it up from jump street.

Quentin is therefore sentenced to reading the dictionary and learning the meaning of the words he is using.

:eusa_whistle:

Oh, alright. Sentence suspended.

The President pro tempore (pronounced /ˈproʊ ˈtɛm pɔr eɪː/; also referred to as President pro tem) is the second-highest-ranking official of the United States Senate and the highest-ranking senator. The U.S. Constitution states the Vice President of the United States serves ex officio as President of the Senate, and is the highest-ranking official of the Senate even though he or she only votes in the case of a tie.

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no vote, unless they be equally divided.

The Senate shall choose their other officers, and also a President pro tempore, in the absence of the Vice President, or when he shall exercise the office of President of the United States.

LII: Constitution

While in the over the last several years it's correct to assume that the Vice President has become more of a figurehead because of their lack or participation in the Senate. It does not preclude the language of the constitution that makes it clear who the President of the Senate is to be. So technically when someone refers to the Vice President as being the head of the Senate they are correct. Further, this was such a controversy when the original constitution was signed some refused to sign it because they felt it was too much an intrusion upon the seperation of powers.

Elbridge Gerry
"might as well put the President himself as head of the legislature."

Roger Sherman
"if the vice-President were not to be President of the Senate, he would be without employment, and some member [of the Senate, acting as presiding officer] must be deprived of his vote."

Article One vests legislative power in the Congress, meaning it can make any law if it is passed in the proscribed way * * * *

So, inadvertently, you came close to saying something correct, but you bolluxed it up from jump street.

Quentin is therefore sentenced to reading the dictionary and learning the meaning of the words he is using.

Hehe, good catch. It's late (early) and I've been up all night.

Replace all with "prescribed."

So, the Congress has the Constitutional authority and I imagine Pelosi laughed at her for being so ignorant of the rather basic fact that Congress can make and pass laws.

Hehe, good catch. It's late (early) and I've been up all night.

Replace all with "prescribed."

So, the Congress has the Constitutional authority and I imagine Pelosi laughed at her for being so ignorant of the rather basic fact that Congress can make and pass laws.

That Congress can pass any damn law it wants is one thing. But it does not go so far as to say that any damn law they pass will survive (or even should survive) Constitutional scrutiny.

When people speak informally (which is not such a terrible sin, actually) and they say things like "Congress cannot pass such a law," what they are actually saying is that Congress cannot pass such a law VALIDLY.

It's like if I tell you "Hey man! Slow down. You can't drive on this highway at 85 mph!"

Obviously, you CAN. But you are not permitted to do so. And the cop coming up on your tail with his emergency lights flashing and siren wailing is a good clue to what I really mean when I say "you can't go 85 mph on this road!" :cool:

From Yahoo Answers.com
Resolved Question
Show me another »
Is Universal Health Care Constitutional?
Where in the constitution is the government given such power? Since the government only has power that is specifically granted to it in that document, it would have to be there.

I imagine it would be somewhere in Article I. Here is a list of powers given to Congress:

Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

* 2 years ago

Additional Details
To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

2 years ago
To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings

The President pro tempore (pronounced /ˈproʊ ˈtɛm pɔr eɪː/; also referred to as President pro tem) is the second-highest-ranking official of the United States Senate and the highest-ranking senator. The U.S. Constitution states the Vice President of the United States serves ex officio as President of the Senate, and is the highest-ranking official of the Senate even though he or she only votes in the case of a tie.

Many years ago the Pro Tem was next in line for the Presidency after the Veep, now it is the Speaker of the House, then Pro Tem.

David Rice Atchison, Senate Pro Tem, was the so called "President for one day" when Zachary Taylor did not want to be sworn in on a Sunday and both terms for the President, then Polk, and Veep had expired. Arguably, his expired also, but his tombstone epitaph still states he was "President of the United States for one day".

I find it interesting that the rights enumerated to me allow me to decide if I will excerise it. I can own a gun, not am not required to. I can speak publicly, but do not have to. In the case of health care coverage I am required to be covered under penalty of law? Doesn't sound like a right to me.

Forum List

Back