A Nation of Anxious Wimps....

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by geauxtohell, Dec 21, 2011.

1. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    A pretty good read.

Treating a Nation of Anxious Wimps

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    good read.

I loved this;

In a single night I had patients come in for the following complaints (all brought by ambulance): “Smoked marijuana and got dizzy”, “stung by a bee and it hurts”, “got drunk and have a hangover”, “sat out in the sun and got sunburn”, “ate Mexican food and threw up”, “picked my nose and it bled, but now it stopped”, “just had sex and want to know if I’m pregnant.”

I worked in an emergency room as a security goon for 18 months. I remember a story from an EMT as to a call he and his partner took; stomach pains, when they pulled up they were 4 cars in the homes driveway, a 10 minute trip from home to hospital.

The stomach pains? gas. due to? eating spicy food. cost for the ride? $400.00. billed to? you know who....... :doubt:

3. geauxtohell

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    It's definitely a problem.

People are using EDs as their primary care facilities, and that is a huge mistakes. EDs are not for primary care.

It's understandable if people have no access too care. EDs are just currently soaking up a lot of the patient load. It's annoying (and detrimental to your health) if people do it out of neglect.

Also annoying: the frequent fliers who knew the system and called EMS to try and avoid the waiting room and jump triage by getting "roomed".

Though, most EDs are wise to this trick. I've seen people arrive on ambulance and get directed to the waiting room.

4. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    agreed....and another blurb-

we had a guy named L____....came in every single Sunday night, he was an alcoholic. DT's, couldn't sleep, wouldn't eat, he would come in and expect us to detox him, IV and ativan so he could get up to go to work etc etc...when I left he had at least, oh, 20 weeks under his belt that I was aware of.:lol:Unreal.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I agree completely with the author. We have become a nation of anxious wimps who are afraid of their own shadows. We (collectively) run to the doctor or ER for every little ache, pain, and sniffle, and we want a pill to cure every change in our psyche or if we are farting too much. It's pretty disgusting to me personally, to see a formerly great nation of tough individualists reduced to the sobbing babies that are using up the resources like there's no tomorrow.

How in the hell do people think folks used to handle being depressed or anxious, or having joint pain from working and growing old? They just dealt with it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. geauxtohell

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Hmm. It usually takes 3-5 days to detox an alcoholic. A classic board vignette is how to manage a patient who was admitted 3-5 days ago for surgery (or whatever) and this morning is hallucinating, developed tremors, and is sweating. The trick is to spot the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and recognize the person is an alcoholic who has been away from their booze for three days and is going through DTs and give them ativan.

If you don't see it on a board question, you'll see it on inpatient medicine. I know I did. Though, DTs will kill some people. It's a dangerous pathology.

However, after multiple admits, that's a "TURF" to psych issue.

7. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Funny how so many people worry about every little thing, but I bet very few of them know what their normal blood pressure and resting heart rate are, and I doubt they have a clue what their cholesterol and blood glucose levels are.

8. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    We are taught to fear vaccinations, mold, shark attacks, airplanes and breast implants when we really should worry about smoking, drug abuse, obesity, cars and basic hygiene. If you go by pharmaceutical advertisement budgets, our most critical health needs are to have sex and fall asleep.

Marketing at its finest.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Some truth to this.

But the major problems are an aging population and late life HC that actually works.

10. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,884
    We’ve become a nation of hypochondriacs. Every sneeze is swine flu, every headache a tumor. And at great expense, we deliver fantastically prompt, thorough and largely unnecessary care. There is tremendous financial pressure on physicians to keep patients happy. But unlike business, in medicine the customer isn’t always right. Sometimes a doctor needs to show tough love and deny patients the quick fix. A good physician needs to have the guts to stand up to people and tell them that their baby gets ear infections because they smoke cigarettes. That it’s time to admit they are alcoholics. That they need to suck it up and deal with discomfort because narcotics will just make everything worse. That what’s really wrong with them is that they are just too damned fat. Unfortunately, this type of advice rarely leads to high patient satisfaction scores.

the net contributes to this mal......i do a search on projectile vomiting.....comes back with brain tumor...wtf? i am pretty sure i dont need an mri...since the hubby is now sick.....

but people get on the net and suddenly they become fearful....i worked in er admitting.....one night about 3 am ..the er doctor is sound asleep.....there is nothing going on ...this is a real small town....a guy comes in....huffing....needs a wheelchair for his g/f in the car....big emergency....well we get the wheel chair and go out to the ambulance bay where he has pulled up like a race car driver....she is sitting in car crying her eyes out....damn me and the nurse look at each other.....wondering what is wrong with her.....she had a broken toe

by the time the very grumpy er doctor finished manipulating that toe...she was screaming....he just keep twisting it and asking her if that hurt.....then he taped it to the toe next to it...