A misuse of local police

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<blockquote>3/19/2004

PROPOSED LEGISLATION in Congress goes too far in the name of homeland security.

In the House, a bill going by the acronym CLEAR -- the Clear Law Enforcement for Criminal Alien Removal act -- would compel local police officers to enforce federal immigration laws, including investigating, detaining, and removing illegal immigrants. States where police refused this work would lose federal funding.

Police officers are needed to focus on preventing and fighting crime. If they are also forced to become immigration agents, they could lose a crucial tool: conversation. Communities that are willing to work with police can provide tips and information.

Last year, in a letter to Senator Edward Kennedy, Boston's former police commissioner Paul Evans pointed out that local and state police departments in Massachusetts have worked hard to win the trust of immigrant communities. Evans said that the CLEAR act could threaten this progress by discouraging immigrants to come to police. Police officials across the country have stated similar concerns. They need unimpeded access to immigrant victims and witnesses.

A related concern is that the CLEAR act could lead criminals to prey on undocumented immigrants who would be afraid to report crimes to police. This could create a grim subculture where robbery, domestic violence, and other offenses were accepted as the price of life in America.

The bill also overlooks the fact that many police departments already have responsibilities that outstrip their resources. Enforcing immigration law would add to the burden.

The Senate version, the Homeland Security Enhancement Act, has similar provisions and adds that states should not be allowed to issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens.

States should be left to make this decision based on their own circumstances. California, for example, struggled over the issue of distributing licenses to its estimated 2 million illegal aliens who drive. The disadvantage is that licenses seem to encourage illegal immigrants by making it easier for them to live in the state. The benefit is that California could have more information about drivers and test their skills. It is also a way to acknowledge that even illegal immigrants make substantial contributions to their state economies. Last year, California briefly adopted a system to train, test, insure and license drivers. But the law was repealed, and now state officials are back to debating the matter.

Immigration policies need reform. And 9/11 has left the country with a mandate to increase security. But this work cannot be piled on the backs of local police, and local needs cannot be ignored. - The Boston Globe</blockquote>

Once again Dubbyuh and his merry band show utter disregard for the local needs of American citizens in their blind pursuit of "Homeland Security". Where are the billions he promised to firefighters, police and medical first responders after 9/11? They have not been forthcoming. Why was a bill requiring the petro/chem and nuclear (<i>Not nucyular</i>) industry to tighten security and facilities around the country scuttled? Why was the Administration vehemently opposed to the oversight of funds in the $87 billion spending bill that was ramrodded through Congress? It seems necessary, especially given the excesses of Haliburton and KBR.

It never was about "Homeland Security" a department whose formation Dubbyuh was bitterly opposed to. It was, and is, about lining the pockets of Dubbyuhs pimps and johns

I have no problem with them harassing and getting rid of illegals, the more the merrier!

I do agree that this shouldn't just be dropped into the laps of local law enforcement. If so, they should immediately increase funding and have new officers hired to take up the slack.

All in all, I'm for this. Work out the problems, but the idea of breaking down on illegals is excellent.

Are you telling me that local law enforcement ignored the law when it came to illegal aliens?

I agree with jim on this one. increase the funding and get em to help out. That will keep them from driving all over the place doing nothing and cut down on the starbucks trips.

What gave you the impression that local cops DON'T or SHOULDN't enforce federal law? You're nutty.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Are you telling me that local law enforcement ignored the law when it came to illegal aliens?

I agree with jim on this one. increase the funding and get em to help out. That will keep them from driving all over the place doing nothing and cut down on the starbucks trips.

Yeah. Then those damn brown people won't take our jobs.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
What gave you the impression that local cops DON'T or SHOULDN't enforce federal law? You're nutty.

Nothing old son...It's just another bait-and switch by the administration. Another unfunded mandate on top of the ones they've already handed down.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Nothing old son...It's just another bait-and switch by the administration. Another unfunded mandate on top of the ones they've already handed down.

How is it bait and switch, please explain.

Folks, not all immigrants are illegal and not all landscapers are immigrants. Why shouldnt[if they already are not] the local law enforcement take illegals seriously. while not going out of there way[targeting] all the laws of this land should be up-held by out officers. They have sworn to do so. RWA, most of the Jobs these people take are not ones we would be very interested in, very low pay, poor working conditions and no respect. Bully, you stated in your post that "Police officers are needed to focus on preventing and fighting crime." since when is being in this country illegally not a crime. If the immigrants are here legally I welcomr them with open arms, if they are not here legally they will meet the steel toe'd end of my work boot.:mad:

please kemo sabe, explain to me how that is a racist statement? Or are you just sticking up for RWA?

I think he thinks it's racist to say that mexicans do lots of landscaping. Is it?

Oh and remember, I'm an open borders neocon nut, bent on reducing america to a third world nation by letting browns in and allowing jobs to go overseas. Your the one, DK, who sides with Pat Buchanan on this issue.

If they have problem with the legal immigrants because of the police enforcing legal immigration laws the solution is simple. If legal immigrants refuse to cooporate with law enforcement, they lose their visa status becoming an illegal immigrant and being shipped back to their home country.

We are governed by the law. if people want to ignore the law, they must suffer the consequences.

The fifth Ammendment is to protect someone from implimenting themselves in a crime. How exactly does refusal to help law officers detain enforce the law on other criminals envoke the fifth ammendment?

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
<blockquote>3/19/2004
It is also a way to acknowledge that even illegal immigrants make substantial contributions to their state economies. Last year, California briefly adopted a system to train, test, insure and license drivers.
Sure, and we can all see how well California is doing today with ALL those contributions that illegal alians make?

This is what is great about the internet, you can watch a guy from Ohio tell a guy from Los Angeles about illegal alians.

please kemo sabe, explain to me how that is a racist statement? Or are you just sticking up for RWA?

So you are not implying that all Hispanics are landscapers? The statement was pure stereotyping.

I think he thinks it's racist to say that mexicans do lots of landscaping. Is it?

Not in Dallas it isn't.

So you are not implying that all Hispanics are landscapers? The statement was pure stereotyping.

Again, you wouldn't think that if you lived in my city.

No racist remark was intended, my statment was based on my living experience here in North Texas.

DK - totally unrelated to the thread, but I had no idea you lived in Dallas. I grew up in Houston, and my uncle (Bubba) lives in Garland.

Forum List

Back