A liberal defends Bush - hard to believe

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rhodescholar, Jun 14, 2009.

1. rhodescholar

rhodescholar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,741
    Tom Friedman is not exactly known for sitting firmly in the conservative camp, and he had this to say about Bush's actions in the middle east:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/opinion/14friedman.html?_r=1

"There are a million things to hate about President Bush’s costly and wrenching wars. But the fact is, in ousting Saddam in Iraq in 2003 and mobilizing the U.N. to push Syria out of Lebanon in 2005, he opened space for real democratic politics that had not existed in Iraq or Lebanon for decades. “Bush had a simple idea, that the Arabs could be democratic, and at that particular moment simple ideas were what was needed, even if he was disingenuous,” said Michael Young, the opinion editor of The Beirut Daily Star. “It was bolstered by the presence of a U.S. Army in the center of the Middle East. It created a sense that change was possible, that things did not always have to be as they were.”"

----------------------------------------------

It is amazing how, first, Bush's wars were horrible and iraq was a disaster. Then the libs started grudgingly admitting things were calming down there. Now they're starting to admit, "well, maybe the wars opened things up a bit..."

It is so fucking hilarious the effect that the media-manufactured, irrational hatred of Bush has had on so many people, without them even grasping it. No matter what he did, even if it turned out positively, he was still "bad". Hysterical.

In about 20 years, unless there is some major catastrophe, Bush's interventions into the middle east will be looked back upon as watershed events, that finally began to break the hold of the religious fanatics.

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Not hard to believe if you don't think in black and white.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. rhodescholar

rhodescholar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,741
    Hardly, and you must have missed the irrational hatred spewed against Bush by the left - see chimps like Keith Olbermann - that flowed so freely for 8 years...

4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Like the irrational hatred spewed at Obama while doing the same things as Bush from the right?

5. rhodescholar

rhodescholar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,741
    I am a conservative, voted against Obama, but am still hoping he is successful as president, though things aren't looking up right now. His success, though is my success, as we are Americans FIRST.

Anyway, if a fat turd like drug-using Rush is your representation of convservatives, I can see how you might not think well of them, but he is not nor should he considered be...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  6. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Not all "liberals" hated W. Many people have the mentality that either you supported GWB for 8 years or you were a "liberal" Bush basher.

7. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    History might very well give Bush high marks for his role in bringing about actual change in the Middle East. (If things continue to improve slowly but surely) That has got to be driving Jimah Cahtah crazy. (Thankfully that is a short drive for Jimah)

I'm sure his 38th book on the subject will be sure to alter the Middle East this time around...

[​IMG]

8. rhodescholar

rhodescholar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,741
    He might actually have learned something about the mid east by then. Love the pic, it almost looks like the person in my avatar...

9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,016
    Or just black.

10. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    You know, if the Middle East layed down all its guns tomorrow, and shook hands and had a big ol porkless summer BBQ, the media would say Obama changed the world, and it all began with Jimah Cahtah, and give them both Nobel Peace Prizes.

But history comes long after the initial media portrayals, and Bush II might very well be far more respected in the future than when he left office - similar to Truman.

Not sayin' it's a sure thing - but certainly possible.