A Lesson on Leadership

Rye Catcher

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2019

From the first paragraph in the link above:

In March 1861, as Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated as president, the United States faced its greatest crisis: its sudden and unexpected dissolution. Seven of the then 31 states had already voted to secede from the Union.

What he did in the following months and years made such a massive difference in history that David M. Potter, an eminent historian of the South, concluded years ago that if Lincoln and the Confederate president Jefferson Davis had somehow swapped jobs, the Confederacy would have secured its independence.

Interesting claim. You made the claim. Now support it with reason.

• Banned

Apparently you've never been a successful leader, or any leader in fact. The reason is to lead subordinates with the necessary truths, actively listen to them and when you are wrong, admit it. It's really that simple, and very easy if the leader is consistent, not vindictive and knows what subordinates do and on occasion fits in and lifts the load with them.

Apparently you've never been a successful leader, or any leader in fact. The reason is to lead subordinates with the necessary truths, actively listen to them and when you are wrong, admit it. It's really that simple, and very easy if the leader is consistent, not vindictive and knows what subordinates do and on occasion fits in and lifts the load with them.

When did LIncoln admit "the necessary truths"? When did he admit that his goal was abolition of slavery, even if it meant the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men? for one example,

When did LIncoln admit "the necessary truths"? When did he admit that his goal was abolition of slavery, even if it meant the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men? for one example,

No man is prefect, I suggest you read: LINCOLN, a life of purpose and power by Richard Carwardine. Chapter 4 (The Limits of Power from President elect to wartime president) and Chap 5 (The Purpose of Power: Evolving Objectives).

Last edited by a moderator:

No man is prefect, I suggest you read: LINCOLN, a life of purpose and power by Richard Carwardine. Chapter 4 (The Limits of Power from President elect to wartime president) and Chap 5 (The Purpose of Power: Evolving Objectives).

It is on Amazon Prime for $10.95

You made a claim AND you set a standard for proving it. I'm just asking about the example you must have already considered, since you went though the analysis of Lincoln, using those standards and found that he met them.

So, what is the biggest and best example of LIncoln telling the American people a " necessary truth"?

I always gave Lincoln a lot of credit for some things, but honesty was never one of them. To his credit of course.

There is a time to lie, and if his lies to the Southerns, had worked, ie prevented a Civil War, and thus saved hundreds of thousands of lives, I would have considered him a great President and one of the greatest liars of all time.

But we are discussing YOUR analysis. What is his big Truth, that he told the American people?

Irony is reading a post from a sniveling bed wetter who still believes that meat puppet faggot messiah of his was a "leader", or even a decent fucking human being.

Anyone who voted for obozo doesn't have a clue what leadership actually is.

OP....

579.png

You made a claim AND you set a standard for proving it. I'm just asking about the example you must have already considered, since you went though the analysis of Lincoln, using those standards and found that he met them.

So, what is the biggest and best example of LIncoln telling the American people a " necessary truth"?

I always gave Lincoln a lot of credit for some things, but honesty was never one of them. To his credit of course.

There is a time to lie, and if his lies to the Southerns, had worked, ie prevented a Civil War, and thus saved hundreds of thousands of lives, I would have considered him a great President and one of the greatest liars of all time.

But we are discussing YOUR analysis. What is his big Truth, that he told the American people?

Pg. 136 in the book I noted above:

"The President-in-waiting was prepared to run the risk of a de facto breakup of the Union rather than relinquish the high ground of nonextension; to yield on that would be to invite the disintegration of his party, the only political force capable of implementing the egalitarian principles of the Declaration of Independence."​
Notes: 356-357 on the limits of power​

Pg. 136 in the book I noted above:

"The President-in-waiting was prepared to run the risk of a de facto breakup of the Union rather than relinquish the high ground of nonextension; to yield on that would be to invite the disintegration of his party, the only political force capable of implementing the egalitarian principles of the Declaration of Independence."​
Notes: 356-357 on the limits of power​

Yes, I understand that that is where he was coming from.

My understanding of history is that at this point, he dishonestly pretended to be willing to negotiate false promises of protecting slavery in order to either lure the south into a false feeling of security and prevent the Civil War, OR, failing that, to dishonestly present to the people of the North the idea that he had done all that could be done, to save the union, and now they had to fight.

You set the standard of leadership as telling "the necessary truths", and said that Lincoln met them.

So, when did he tell the people of the United States this truth, or what did he tell them that, in your mind, was him showing leadership in that way?

Irony is reading a post from a sniveling bed wetter who still believes that meat puppet faggot messiah of his was a "leader", or even a decent fucking human being.

Anyone who voted for obozo doesn't have a clue what leadership actually is.

You clearly have no clue as to leadership, anyone who voted for trump and does not see a megalomaniac is out of touch with reality. Trump's recent (apparent) narcissistic rage is evidence he is unfit to be POTUS.

Forum List

Back