A heroes welcome??

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by DKSuddeth, Mar 16, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/03/16/blix.back.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- President Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair have lost credibility, the world is not safer now that Saddam Hussein is out of power and it was clear 10 months ago that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, according to Hans Blix, the former U.N. weapons inspector who returned to New York on the one-year anniversary of the war.

Blix, who was often vilified by supporters and opponents of an invasion in the run-up to the Iraq war, left his post at the United Nations last June at a time when many held out hope that biological, chemical or even nuclear weapons could be found by U.S. troops in Iraq.

But dozens of search teams over the last year have came up empty handed and much of the initial resources devoted to the hunt have since been reallocated.

In an address Monday at New York University, Blix said the United States should have known months ago that there were no weapons to be found.

"By May I knew there was nothing because the Americans had interrogated so many Iraqis by then and even offered money and still they found nothing."

On a speaking tour for his new book "Disarming Iraq," Blix offered some tough assessments of American accomplishments in Iraq and suggested that the United States was motivated to go to war because of the attacks of September 11, 2001.

"It was a reaction to 9/11 that we have to strike some theoretical, hypothetical links between Saddam Hussein and the terrorists. That was wrong. There wasn't anything," he said in an interview with NBC's "Today" show.

And he disagreed that the war had made the world a safer place.

"Sorry to say it doesn't look that way. If the message was to terrorists that we are willing to take you on, then that has not succeeded. In Iraq, it has bred a lot of terrorism and a lot of hatred to the Western world," he told an audience of 1,200 at NYU.

"Disarmament by war and democracy by occupation are difficult prospects."

He was especially critical of the United States and Britain for claiming the war was meant to uphold U.N. resolutions when the rest of the Security Council refused to back the conflict and he said Bush and Blair "oversold" what they knew.

By May I knew there was nothing because the Americans had interrogated so many Iraqis by then and even offered money and still they found nothing.
    -- Hans Blix, former U.N. weapons inspector

"The moral of this story was clearly a loss of credibility for the leaders of this war and that they didn't think the council mattered, that was a mistake," Blix said.

Referring to passages from his book, the 75-year-old Swede identified Vice President Dick Cheney as his No. 1 opponent inside the Bush administration.

In a meeting with Mr. Cheney in October 2002, Blix said he was told the United States 'was ready to discredit inspections in favor of disarmament,' unless Blix's teams were able to find weapons the White House insisted were in Iraq.

Blix's return to the United States, after nine months in Sweden working on the book, was triumphant compared to his quiet departure last June, which was marred by a U.S. refusal to let his inspectors back into Iraq.

Blix spent Monday appearing on TV talk shows and signing copies of his book, which came out this week in the United States.

At NYU, he was introduced by faculty members as a "real-life hero," "unbiased and critical," and his comments drew rounds of thunderous applause during his two hour appearance.

It was a striking contrast to the contentious appearances he made in the U.N. Security Council in the months leading up to the war. At that time, he was often criticized as pro-Iraqi or anti-American because his teams were coming up empty and refusing to blame Saddam for their failures.

Blix said he had been convinced for years that the Iraqis were hiding weapons of mass destruction but began having doubts when intelligence provided by the United States and other countries wasn't producing results. He blamed an over-reliance on defectors and a refusal on the part of the White House to consider the possibility that the intelligence was wrong.

2. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In Iraq, it has bred a lot of terrorism and a lot of hatred to the Western world,"
    --------
    see the thread intitled "poll in Iraq".....while I agree with very little of what Blix has to say, everyone has an opinion...
    -------
    And he disagreed that the war had made the world a safer place.
    ------
    tell that to the Iraqis that say they are better off now..
    any terrorist acts on our land since 9/11?
    -------
    He was especially critical of the United States and Britain for claiming the war was meant to uphold U.N. resolutions when the rest of the Security Council refused to back the conflict and he said Bush and Blair "oversold" what they knew.
    -----
    if the resolutions are not going to be enforced,why have them at all? the faulty in-tel has been beat to death..
    -------
    "The moral of this story was clearly a loss of credibility for the leaders of this war and that they didn't think the council mattered, that was a mistake," Blix said.
    ------
    and he thinks his book is going to sell? Here? who is Blix supporting , because the UN is just about dead and buried as a policing body.and this right after Spains Election...hhhmmmm wonder who HE wants as the next CIC
    --------
    At NYU, he was introduced by faculty members as a "real-life hero," "unbiased and critical," and his comments drew rounds of thunderous applause during his two hour appearance
    -----------
    After the fact!!! always easier in hindsight

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I wonder if spain agrees right now?

So if the arab world puts together a coalition vs Israel will we join it?

Hindsight.....seems that he, among many others, was right all along and that some of the worlds leaders were so obviously wrong. Why can't they use that same hindsight?

4. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    a terrorist act happens on their homeland and they tuck tail and run for cover. France should be proud.
    what does a UN resolution have to do with Israel?

Yes, He sure made an all out effort to stop the Liberation of Iraq. A year late. The world leaders arestill not "obviously "wrong, the militarys view is the WMD have been moved to Other Arab states nearby. namely Syria! If our leaders used the same hindsight as Blix, we wouldnt have a country to worry about. The terrorist would rule supreme. as they do right now in Spain. Dumb people, they will regret this Election. the question is, are the pansies in this country going to vote for themselves? or let AQ , PLO, ETA and others dictate who WE have lead this great nation?

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    that doesn't answer the question of whether they feel the world is safer or not, election day sure did though.

well, you said "if the resolutions are not going to be enforced,why have them at all?, so I said "So if the arab world puts together a coalition vs Israel will we join it?" because there are numerous resolutions against israel, why have those if the UN isn't going to enforce it? I see no unilateral action coming forth from anyone about those?

Maybe I'm just spitballing here, but wasn't Blix's job to inspect and determine that hussein had destroyed and possessed no more WMD's and NOT his job to determine if the Iraqi people needed to be liberated?

And, should we invade syria to remove THOSE WMD's, whom do we blame when they aren't found there? do we determine that they are being shuttled back and forth by extremely deceptive insurgents who have had years of practice shuttling? :rolleyes:

Those arab submarines were coming close, weren't they?

I wonder how many countries were thinking that of the US when GWB was elected?????

you'll get your answer on Nov 4.

6. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    My favorite thing is how no one accuses Democrats of lying when they have been talking about Iraq's WMDs since 1998. Several people from the UN and some world leaders have also talked about them. Of course, they are not lying. That's always the way it is.

7. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    DK, please tell all your Democrat buddies to vote on November 4th... I'll tell all my Republican friends to vote on November 2nd - Election Day. :D

just kidding... I know you are smarter than that!

8. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just as AQ wanted... a government that has no balls.
    who has the balls to do it besides the UnitedStates? NO.ONE

as for the WMD being in Syria...I stated Fact .....sarcasm is not needed..
    put wings on them and they can go anywhere they want!!!
    we at the time G.W. was first ELECTED, did not have a terrorist strike on our soil such as Spain has. This Terrorist strike greatly influenced the election,in the way the terrorist wanted. so killing over 200 people to get what AQ wanted in Spain is OK? That is what you imply in your post ...I realize you hate G.W..but you are acting a little on the blind side as to what could happen in Nov.. Its OK for an outside force to influence OUR Elections.. ITs Ok if the out come is what you want, right?

9. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    ooops, got me LOL

10. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Quel Surpris!

A malcontent little Euro-bureaucrat is on a book tour - and getting free press by trashing the U.S.

:rolleyes: