A Gringo in the Lettuce Fields

☭proletarian☭;1977833 said:
What's the damn point?

If they want to work, then they can get a visa, work legally, pay their taxes- it's all good. Hello, Mr Mexican, can i see your documentation? Thank you, have a nice day.

If they hop the border, then they should be warned once, then shot as potential terrorists. No more playing games with our sovereignty.

Most seasonal workers do have temporary visas. But the sheer volume of workers needed for the fields could be dealt with much more expiditiously the old-fashioned way.

Them applying for citizenship or resident alien status?
Your solution to just shoot them is, of course, ludicrous. Once we began doing that, we would be in an all out REAL war with Mexico, not just a drug war.

Right...because we should care about Mexico. Didn't we already march to Mexico City and decide we didn't want it?

$10.00 an hour is a pretty good wage to simply pick lettuce. Pretty easy. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it. If you screw it up, you've only screwed up a head of lettuce. If I was unemployed and needed to earn some money I would do it. Beats just sitting around watching them haul your Chevy away or not being able to buy a gallon of milk.

Didn't read the story, did you... It ISN'T "easy." And you do have the option of going without a vehicle. To paraphrase all of you strict constitutionalists, "where in the Constitution does it guarantee you a car?" And if you can't afford milk, you probably would qualify for food stamps to buy your milk. But I suspect that's not your real problem with this.

Milk isn't good for you anyway.

Cows milk is good for one thing and one thing only. Making baby cows fat.

We'd all be a lot better off if we stopped drinking milk.

'Lets just give Texas and California back to Mexico?'

We already have - or haven't you noticed?

$10.00 an hour is a pretty good wage to simply pick lettuce. Pretty easy. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it. If you screw it up, you've only screwed up a head of lettuce. If I was unemployed and needed to earn some money I would do it. Beats just sitting around watching them haul your Chevy away or not being able to buy a gallon of milk.

Didn't read the story, did you... It ISN'T "easy." And you do have the option of going without a vehicle. To paraphrase all of you strict constitutionalists, "where in the Constitution does it guarantee you a car?" And if you can't afford milk, you probably would qualify for food stamps to buy your milk. But I suspect that's not your real problem with this.

I don't think most Americans have a problem with legal migrant workers coming to the U.S for the harvest season. What we have problems with are those that cross the borders illegally and end up overwhelming the resources of our communities.

And that's a given, but not what the article was about. For me, it was about the tendency to group and label an entire nationality as being rotten to the core because of the illegal alien problem this country has.

☭proletarian☭;1979886 said:
☭proletarian☭;1977833 said:
What's the damn point?

If they want to work, then they can get a visa, work legally, pay their taxes- it's all good. Hello, Mr Mexican, can i see your documentation? Thank you, have a nice day.

If they hop the border, then they should be warned once, then shot as potential terrorists. No more playing games with our sovereignty.

Most seasonal workers do have temporary visas. But the sheer volume of workers needed for the fields could be dealt with much more expiditiously the old-fashioned way.

Them applying for citizenship or resident alien status?
Your solution to just shoot them is, of course, ludicrous. Once we began doing that, we would be in an all out REAL war with Mexico, not just a drug war.

Right...because we should care about Mexico. Didn't we already march to Mexico City and decide we didn't want it?

Huh?

Lets just give Texas and California back to Mexico?

The Nation of Texas would have a real problem if it ever succeeded in seceding. That's why even talking about it is pure bullshit, and unbelievable that some Texans actually think it would be a good idea.

Giving Texas back to Mexico at this point does not matter as it's 'little mexico' anyway.

Forum List

Back