A Good Thread

Overseas, I did not go into a Bedouin tent or sleep on the Great Wall of China. But I did go to a street fair right across the river from East Germany in the late 80s. I stood staring at the starkness of the barbed wire fence and the armed guards contrasted with the sounds and colors of the fair for the longest time, until my friend came and finally pulled me away.

I was only 18, but somehow I knew to really take it in. I'm glad I did.

Delivered $400,000 in three big garbage bags from a war zone to the rear echelon.

Ran with the bulls as a high school lad “studying” in Spain one summer.

Years later, 3 decades or so, I overhear an acquaintance in a bar telling a friend about his feat of having run with the bulls, so naturally I drifted over to propose a toast to our shared experience. Turned out we’d run the same year, but he was older and in Europe spending the summer whoring and drinking around in order to hone the proper mindset for the onslaught of law school that coming fall.

Got another one:

I once woke up on a bullet train going from Seoul to Daegu sitting next to a life-size portrait of Walter Mondale. No idea how I or it got there.

I came home one day to find a cake and a pitcher of something to drink (I'm guessing it was tea.) outside on the ground where my front door is and to this day, I still don't know who left it there which is why I never ate or drink any of it.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back