A Gentle Wander Down Memory Lane

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
Can you remember what our daily lives were like before the rapidly advancing and sustained intrusion of technology? It's been a while, but sometimes I like to hazard a guess.

1993, somewhere in middle America.

After the dishes have been done, Susan surveys her lounge. It's a scene that always evokes pride and wellbeing. A scene she'll always cherish. Her husband puts on a CD, but is interupted by their grandchildren whose video game isn't working. David gives an exaggerated but affectionate shrug, and proceeds to blow the dust from the video game cartridge. Alas, they have no luck there. They switch the console off and tune in the TV to catch the evening news, one of David's private sanctuaries. The youngest members of the brood sit patiently over a board game.

The cat winds its way between its distracted keepers, the dog lazily observes its feline nemesis. Susan's daughter-in-law mutters an article from the magazine she's reading, her husband feigns interest. It's growing dark, and snow's been forecasted. Susan glances at the headlines of the newspaper her husband's bought for the last thirty years - the war in Yugoslavia is on everyones lips. Somewhere upstairs, Susan can hear a door slam followed by the rumble of a teenage grand-daughter slouching down the stairs. Becky appears, her impatiant, teenage scowl breaks on seeing her grandmother's welcoming smile. No matter what confused mood she finds herself engulfed by, she knows that she can rely on her grandmother's welcoming countenance. Suddenly, the echo of the X-Files' theme music resonates around the cosy lounge, invoking a collective exclaimation of joy and excitement from all age groups present. Susan's grandson Michael makes his way to the kitchen. Halfway to his destination, everyones attention is drawn from the drama on the TV to the crunch of the CD case Michael's trodden on. Michael's face betrays both a look of guilt and a plea for forgiveness. Both his grandparents forgive him without thinking.

Susan looks curiously from the packaging her husband tells her contains a revolutionary slice of technology to the streetlit avenue outside. The first flakes of snow begin to tumble from the winter's night sky. The cats slides amongst her feet, somehow sharing in her thoughts.

Forgive the somewhat melancholy narrative of my pastiche, America. I just thought that a morose-ish lament would reflect the sense of loss some of us will have undeniably experienced at the expense of all this technology we find ourselves surrounded by in today's media-saturated world.

Last edited:
Or you can go back further to the day my Father brought home a screen to put n front of the TV to change it from Black & White to color.

It did sort of give the Black & White some brown and yellow.....We were amazed on all three channels........

That was a lovely write!

I wasn't quite expecting the walk down memory lane to be, well....not that long ago! I was thinking
60s, 70s, maybe...perhaps even further back...*sigh* Guess my age is showing!

before tech advance you have neighbor and communities putting out peer pressure. If you were unwed and preggy the community would force you to give up the child by not allowing the woman to work.

I was in Highschool before we installed our first television set. Until then I looked forward to the wonderful, entertaining radio programs consisting of real stories you could see in your head as clearly as sitcoms and drama series on television now.

Radio doesn't do that any more and I think children's imagination has suffered as a result.

My mother didn't have a TV, I clearly remember sitting on my others lap at my grandmothers house watching JFK's funeral. it was a black white console type deal from Zenith.

yea ollie....:lol: channels? 2 4 5 7 9 13 and some godawful uhf...which we could never tune right. had this ring around the channel changer you had to rotate...phttttthh...

we got that TV from her when she passed on.....my mother worked a second job so I'd sneak out and watch TV late, another flashback, I remember Rodney Dangerfield on the Jackie Gleason show doing stand up......or the late late show then the national anthem....

who remembers this ?

indtestpat.jpg

Dailymotion - Early TV Test Pattern - a Film & TV video

Last edited:
My mother didn't have a TV, I clearly remember sitting on my others lap at my grandmothers house watching JFK's funeral. it was a black white console type deal from Zenith.

yea ollie....:lol: channels? 2 4 5 7 9 13 and some godawful uhf...which we could never tune right. had this ring around the channel changer you had to rotate...phttttthh...

we got that TV from her when she passed on.....my mother worked a second job so I'd sneak out and watch TV late, another flashback, I remember Rodney Dangerfield on the Jackie Gleason show doing stand up......or the late late show then the national anthem....

who remembers this ?

indtestpat.jpg

Remember when television stations signed off in the late evening with a few minutes of patriotic or inspirational stuff? I wish I could remember which two politicians it was but two guys running against each other for something or other were slotted on a local station for late night. One had 30 minutes to give his spiel to be immediately followed by 30 minutes assigned to the other. Of course both wanted to go second as they would have advantage of hearing their opponent and could comment on it. They were supposed to flip a coin but one offered to go first.

He did his spiel but filled the last five minutes or so of his time slot with jet planes doing rolls in the sky, and some poetic reading and the National Anthem. Most of the audience thought the station was signing off, turned off their TVs, and went to bed before the other guy could speak. :)

I think politicians had a better sense of humor and were maybe smarter some decades ago. :)

who remembers this ?

indtestpat.jpg

Before I got to your post, I was thinking of the test patterns.

If you couldn't sleep, the bookshelf was the place to go.

We are a 24 hour society, now, especially in union towns. Can do grocery shopping at 4 in the morn.

Playing with my toys.

Later on, watching our first black and white tv and loving Hoss on Bonanza.

Later than that, hanging out with friends, sitting on the lawn and talking about boys.

Fast forward from there, cruising with friends up and down, up and down the street, listening to radio, then 4 track then 8 track tapes, banging on my tambourine in tune with the music.

Forum List

Back