A Disturbing Truth about Participant Sports

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have watched professional golf both on television and in print for many years. I read about how these golfers - the best in the world - spend X hours a day practicing one thing and another, and hours on the putting green.

Then it occurred to me: they absolutely never improve IN PUTTING. If practice helped even a tiny bit, then the golfers on the Champions Tour would be better than the pros on the PGA Tour. They would be the best putters in the world. But they are obviously NOT the best putters. In fact, the players on the Champions Tour are no better at putting than they were when they first came on the PGA tour, decades earlier.

And you can say the same thing about golf itself. Name a player who is or was better at 35 (before any age-related deterioration would be a factor) than he was at 25. There are none. The top ones accumulate titles, but they are no better. The only apparent improvement might come as the drivers and balls improve over time due to technology.

One might point to Kenny Perry, who had more success in his 40's than he did earlier, but even he attributes that to a new putter and a modification to his swing. He didn't improve, per se, he just changed, and that change (which could have been done in college), helped him out.

So the idea that YOU or I could improve over time at our golf game is only feasible if you really suck now, because of major flaws in your swing. And most people are unwilling to mess with their swing as an adult, because the inevitable result is a short-term deterioration of your game in the HOPE that you will improve later. People aren't willing to risk that deterioration in the short term.

I see the same thing in bowling. The only people who ever improve are people who start off with a major flaw in their game, then correct it. For most people, they are averaging about the same score at 50 as they were at 20.

Look at other "skill" sports. It is rare that anyone actually improves after age 20 at anything, despite a lifetime of practice, analysis, and repetition. Pro tennis players who appear to improve are generally just improving their level of conditioning, so that they can overwhelm their opponents in the later sets; but their level of skill doesn't generally improve. Was Michael Jordan a better shot at age 30 than he was at age 20? I doubt it.

So what is the point of practice? Most adults never practice (golf, tennis, bowling, etc) but it doesn't seem to matter.

It keeps you "limber," and prevents you from deteriorating with age, but that's about it.

Just gotta stick it close, then you're just left with a little tap tap taparoo.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree if we are talking about golf. Let's take putting, the biggest factor is nerves in the older golfer. When I was a young golfer in my late teens and 20s I never practiced putting and I ran them in from everywhere. As I got older I would overthink the putt and somehow lost that instinctive feel. I had to practice putting to even be close to how I used to put as a young man. That's why a lot of old guys go to the long putter because it gets so bad they get the yips. Look at Bernhard Langer for the best example of that. So along with the physical deterioration that happens when you age you have to factor in the mental deterioration too.

Putting isn't like throwing a football through a tire. The tire stays constant.
No two putting greens are the same. The lay of the land is not constant. How much will that little hump in the green send my ball to the right? How much will the dense grass on this hole slow down my ball? How far will that dip change the trajectory of my putt? How much harder do I need to hit the ball to overcome the dip?

Yes reading putts is yet another aspect within putting that requires a lot of practice. There is the putting stroke itself, the nerves to execute the stroke, and the read.

Tom Brady is nor more skilled, he is just more experienced and knows more. He can't throw or run as well as he could ten years ago.

As for putting, it has nothing to do with pressure. It has nothing to do with physical strength. If practice made you better, the older golfers would be best - but they ain't.

Putting has three elements: direction (which can be perfected on a short term basis), break, and distance. Reading a green is a knack, which appears to come and go for those at the top level.

But as I said above and being specific, take pro golfer X; at 35 he is no more likely to hole a 150 yard shot than he was at 25, despite THOUSANDS OF HOURS OF PRACTICE during those ten years. Same could be said for nailing a 30 foot jump shot, bowling 12 strikes in a row, or hitting a perfect tennis serve on the 'T'.

Practice doesn't make them any better.

Some people just know nothing about sports, aside from their own bitterness over sucking at them.

Tom Brady is nor more skilled, he is just more experienced and knows more. He can't throw or run as well as he could ten years ago.

As for putting, it has nothing to do with pressure. It has nothing to do with physical strength. If practice made you better, the older golfers would be best - but they ain't.

Putting has three elements: direction (which can be perfected on a short term basis), break, and distance. Reading a green is a knack, which appears to come and go for those at the top level.

But as I said above and being specific, take pro golfer X; at 35 he is no more likely to hole a 150 yard shot than he was at 25, despite THOUSANDS OF HOURS OF PRACTICE during those ten years. Same could be said for nailing a 30 foot jump shot, bowling 12 strikes in a row, or hitting a perfect tennis serve on the 'T'.

Practice doesn't make them any better.
You really do not know what you are talking about. If pro golfer X stopped practicing at 25, there is zero chance he would still be a pro at 35. The margin for error in golf is smaller than any sport. If you are really good or a pro golfer you practice to maintain your swing timing, keep your muscle memory programmed through repetition, and maintain your touch especially around the greens and especially putting. And there absolutely is an age related degradation that happens in putting.

MarathonMIke, do you realize that you are agreeing with me?

They practice to MAINTAIN their level of proficiency, hoping to get better (they are only human), but THEY NEVER GET BETTER.

Amateurs who suck (like me) CAN get better, because we are starting at such a low level, but the number of people who actually put forth the effort and DO get better over time (I'm talking about adults here, not kids who are still learning), is microscopic.

Forum List

Back