A disgusting act

And what about child molestors? Sometimes they get out in 3!

But of course a child's lost innocence is nothing compared to a bunch of drunk colleges students having to plant new trees.
You keep concentrating on the trees instead of the illegal act.

The severity of charges for destruction of property are directly related to the value of the property.

Wood is going for about $200 a cord.
Again, for the slow-witted: it's not a destruction of property issue as much as it's an environmental terrorism issue. He's not going to pay huge fines for killing trees, but for using concentrated poison.

If he had used a chainsaw, he wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble.

The severity of charges for destruction of property are directly related to the value of the property.

Again, for the slow-witted: it's not a destruction of property issue as much as it's an environmental terrorism issue. He's not going to pay huge fines for killing trees, but for using concentrated poison.

i think there are actually multiple issues involved
the destruction of school property, the use of chemicals, the intended purpose of the terrorism of the student body of AU

If some of you emotional half wits want to convince yourselves that this crime is equal to or worse than rape and child molestation go ahead and knock yourselves out.

I prefer sanity. :thup:

No one is claiming a tree is worth as much as a child, mani. Doesn't mean people cannot be outraged just the same...this was just so vile.

the destruction of school property, the use of chemicals, the intended purpose of the terrorism of the student body of AU

Wasn't school property. Was in ''town'' on a corner by a drugstore called Toomers ie Toomers corner.
And yeah it was a vile act.....about as vile as the AU fans that ransacked a house of Saban's....long before the tree killing.

Wasn't school property. Was in ''town'' on a corner by a drugstore called Toomers ie Toomers corner.
And yeah it was a vile act.....about as vile as the AU fans that ransacked a house of Saban's....long before the tree killing.
ok
then the destruction of someones property

whats really sad about this is that someone can let a silly sports rivalry take it to this level

ok

whats really sad about this is that someone can let a silly sports rivalry take it to this level

True...but it has been on this level since I could remember. I have said for years that they need to stop playing one another.

ok

True...but it has been on this level since I could remember. I have said for years that they need to stop playing one another.

Meh, college football is a religion down south. The Florida-Florida State rivalry is just as bad.

Environmental terrorism? That's funny.

If the herbicide was legal it is still only a destruction of property issue.

Nitrious oxide is also legal, but if I spray an old growth forest with it until all plant life dies....somewhat more serious, Skull Pilot.

Nitrious oxide is also legal, but if I spray an old growth forest with it until all plant life dies....somewhat more serious, Skull Pilot.

ALL plant life in the town didn't die just a tree. What's with the exaggeration in this case?

A tree was killed using a legal herbicide in an act of vandalism nothing more.

Cleanup of the affected area is also included in the damages. It is a park, on school property, owned by the State. Estimates to clean up the area and replace the trees/soil are already well over $200,000.

It is believed that Updyke will face Federal charges in addition to the felony he was arrested on, but as of 2/24/11 no Federal charges have been filed, though Federal agents were instrumental in his capture.

He's going away for a long time. While initially the thought was 2-5 years, that has changed since the charges were first published. The latest consensus seems to be 10 years or more (10 years is the maximum for the Criminal Mischief I he is facing).

The Tide for Toomers facebook page has now raised over $45,000 for the tree replacement fund.

If some of you emotional half wits want to convince yourselves that this crime is equal to or worse than rape and child molestation go ahead and knock yourselves out.

I prefer sanity. :thup:

No one is claiming a tree is worth as much as a child, mani. Doesn't mean people cannot be outraged just the same...this was just so vile.

The outrage is warranted, no argument here.

But IMO, it doesn't deserve jail time. Certainly not more than 6 months anyway.

The latest consensus seems to be 10 years or more (10 years is the maximum for the Criminal Mischief I he is facing).

See what I mean? Fucking ridiculous.

First offense child molestors are usually out in 18 months or less.

Perspective people! It's two fucking TREES!

Cleanup of the affected area is also included in the damages. It is a park, on school property, owned by the State. Estimates to clean up the area and replace the trees/soil are already well over $200,000.

It is believed that Updyke will face Federal charges in addition to the felony he was arrested on, but as of 2/24/11 no Federal charges have been filed, though Federal agents were instrumental in his capture.

He's going away for a long time. While initially the thought was 2-5 years, that has changed since the charges were first published. The latest consensus seems to be 10 years or more (10 years is the maximum for the Criminal Mischief I he is facing).

The Tide for Toomers facebook page has now raised over $45,000 for the tree replacement fund.
200K to dig up some dirt and replant a tree?

Sounds like a fucking scam to me.

200K to dig up some dirt and replant a tree?

Sounds like a fucking scam to me.

Probably a union job. ;)

All I can say is I'm glad I don't have you rocket scientists managing my trees.

Or my legal system :)

Updyke is toast.

And the Federal charges haven't even been filed yet.

Forum List

Back