A cultural paradigm shift?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
So, I'm wondering ........since 9-11 has America seen a paradigm shift from the posture of victory to a posture of victim?

Have we come to revel in our candle light vigils and memorial services. People used to die horrible deaths when I was young. All the time, they died horrible deaths. But there were no publicized vigils and memorial services and droning on and on about it. We had a funeral, buried them, and moved on. The Kennedy funeral was the biggest thing I had ever seen in terms of a memorial. But now, it's every other day for something, to 'raise awareness' as if 24/7 news doesn't keep us aware enough. Are all the vigils and memorials becoming a cultural investment?

Yes to your last question.

As the population expands dramatically yet the world's connections shrink in time and space, people feel marginalized. Thus the social connecting through technology has increased exponentially.

Individuals want to matter. They want to connect. They wish their lives mean something.

The public mourning and vigils allow folks to do all that.

The first time I saw a candlelight vigil or one of those ASININE roadside shrines, it was in a neighborhood that had rapidly become hispanic.

I have seen the shrines mostly in Caucasion neighborhoods, rarely in Hispanic, almost never in African American.

Forum List

Back