A Cubs Disco (Superstition)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a sports-culture fable inspired by the film Mr. Destiny.

Cheers,

====

The Chicago Cubs had finally won the coveted World Series trophy (MLB) and were now recounting the gloried stories of yesteryear's players who always fell short such as Ryne Sandberg and Mark Grace. The Cubs celebrated their win with champagne on a yacht and considered how free-agency and capitalism had transformed the sport of American baseball and potentially impact the global perspective on Olympics/international baseball. One of the Cubs players decided to retire from the MLB and coach for the Little League (and possibly the LLWS --- Little League World Series).

The Cubs player who opted to coach for the LLWS was a second-string 1st baseman named Tim Holt, a hot hitter out of Florida A&M University who never quite made it big with the Cubs on the field but provided great locker-room cheers for his team (which his coach always appreciated). Holt was thrilled at obtaining a Cubs World Series ring (which he now always wore) and turned his attention to the Little League World Series (LLWS). Holt got a job-offer to coach for the Miami Tsunamis (a start-up Little League team which needed serious coaching upgrades).

Holt and the Tsunamis did very well during his first year as head coach, racking up enough wins to post a +.500% winning statistic. The next season, Holt and the Tsunamis reached the LLWS but lost to the Washington Mavericks (2-4). The third season Holt coached the Tsunamis, they won the LLWS, defeating the Texas Terror 4-3 (in the best of 7 game-series). Holt was named Sports Illustrated Man of the Year, and his Tsunamis generated quite a stir in the sports-media arena and obtained some handsome video-game marketing feathers (including being featured on the cover of the new LLWS video-game by EA Sports and on the cover of the Christmas issue of EA Sports Magazine!).

HOLT: It's a thrill to accomplish so much in baseball!
INTERVIEWER: That's why we wanted to interview you, Tim.
HOLT: I was honored to win with the Cubs...and then with the Tsunamis.
INTERVIEWER: The Cubs had never won the World Series before your squad!
HOLT: I know, and the Tsunamis were a meek little start-up team when I arrived!
INTERVIEWER: You must be humbled by all this newfound celebrity.
HOLT: It's been great, and my family and I've appreciated all the gifts/presents.
INTERVIEWER: Do you ever wish you were a New York Yankee?
HOLT: Athletes dream of what it's like to be a Yankee, but I'm still a Cub/Tsunami!
INTERVIEWER: Any regrets/ghosts/demons?
HOLT: In game 4 of the Cubs' World Series, I thought I saw a ghost in the stands.
INTERVIEWER: Was the ghost signalling to you/anyone?
HOLT: I could have sworn the ghost looked right at me and said, "Win or die!"
INTERVIEWER: Maybe you should consider how merchandising has changed sports.

====

cubs.jpg

Forum List

Back