A Consumer's Deuteronomy

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Here is a mock dialogue between Shiva (Hindu god of destruction) and Mr. Blonde (fictional villain and assassin-maniac all-around 'bad-guy' from Quentin Tarantino's iconic crime-savvy film Reservoir Dogs) about the 'wisdom of consumerism.'

How can we coordinate metaphysics discussions with the capitalism-frailties of 'TrumpUSA'?

I've renamed Mr. Blonde 'Tor' to signify his general 'macho might'...

====

SHIVA: You seem pensive about your last diamond-heist, Tor.
TOR: Yeah, well, the Cabots had me antsy, and now things have gone sour (with cops)...
SHIVA: Since when have you been 'antsy' about cops?
TOR: Ever since I started falling in love with poetry and Starbucks, Shiva!
SHIVA: Don't be flippant, Tor. I know something is truly bothering you (and I want to help!).
TOR: Alright, great lord of destruction (Master Shiva). I fear I'm becoming arrogant about bloodlust.
SHIVA: How can one be arrogant about bloodlust, if (by definition) bloodlust implies only instinct?
TOR: It's true I feel raw savage instinct, but my mind is gnawing at me when I think about 'criminality.'
SHIVA: What does that have to do with Starbucks, Tor?
TOR: I'm supposed to feel more light-hearted about capitalism and profiteerism.
SHIVA: Maybe you should go shopping at Kay Jewellers...
TOR: Very funny. No, I'm worried that my gun defines my humanity.
SHIVA: I see. I think you fear any close bond between mayhem and composure.
TOR: Doesn't mayhem imply complete loss of composure?
SHIVA: According to consumerism, shopper-madness is actually...energy!
TOR: Oh, so Black Friday is like a symbol of 'mental enthusiasm'?
SHIVA: Exactly! So go shopping or go to a Planet Hollywood and eat a juicy mushroom-burger.
TOR: I think I see some enlightenment, Shiva. If I enjoy a sandwich and buy a ring, I'll feel more 'child-like.'
SHIVA: Exactly, Tor! The key to calmness is financial courage.
TOR: In other words, fight fire with express-lane checkout at Acme. Alright, thank you very much.

====

tor2.jpg

18 Again!

====

SHIVA: Images/stories about combat in popular movies represent a social investment in unfiltered dialogue.
TOR: Grab a cup of coffee from Starbucks and head to the Ritz for a showing of Universal Soldier!
SHIVA: Teens get excited this way about 'pop-culture.'
TOR: Americans love brain-candy...
SHIVA: Americans appreciate the conveniences of 'drive-thru shopping.'
TOR: What's the difference between The Illiad (Homer) and Universal Soldier, Shiva?
SHIVA: The latter (the film) is symbolic of 'instant-gratification.'
TOR: Does that mean civilization is becoming...crude?
SHIVA: Youngsters celebrate the 'thrill' of cholesterol deities.
TOR: What the heck does that mean?
SHIVA: It means old world gods (e.g., Zeus, Buddha, etc.) are being 'challenged' by 'media-dolls' (e.g., Ronald McDonald)!
TOR: Oh, you mean we're becoming 'toy-store robots'?
SHIVA: Precisely, and the staging-ground for this 'imaginarium evolution' is Hollywood (e.g., Tom Cruise)!
TOR: Wow, so consumerism is turning us into 'crafty creatures.'
SHIVA: Yes, which means that we fantasize about 'ominous robots,' since we're curious about 'sensual strength.'
TOR: I suppose I should refrain from eating cheeseburgers for breakfast...
SHIVA: Obesity is a problem in America, and Americans are self-conscious about traffic.
TOR: In that case, I'll reflect on my diamond-heist and why I might consider becoming a...psychologist!
SHIVA: Don't be sarcastic, Tor. This 'new world' requires strict megatrends meditation.
TOR: I understand now why there are so many video-game adaptations of movies these days.

====

us.jpg

Forum List

Back