A Challenge For Bill O'Reilly

Abbey Normal said:
But who's to say that what starts out as a war on Christmas won't someday slide it's way into a war on Christians? Full blown intolerance and persecution often start in small ways.

Only in 50 more years when the Chavez Communists (latin America), new leftists (major cities) and Holy Islamic Army of Jihad (Canada, Europe) invade America from the South, within and the North respectively and take over.

As far as the ACLU is concerned, I am sure we share similar feelings about how outrageous, defeatist and extremist they have become.

But that is good, because they are widely discrediting themselves among the American people.

And even better, their outlandish antics only further strengthen Pres. Bush's hand, which makes it easier to put more conservative judges on the courts who will throw the ACLU's nonsense out and restore America's faith in the courts in the coming decade.

A more important war to fight in the "culture war" (i'm sorry i should edit my previous comment, this is actually important, but IMHO the war on christmas is a lost cause, a quixotic battle in the ongoing struggle) is the war against fathers and boys, the war against drugs, the war against free speech (and i ain't talking cindy sheehan), the war against free markets and businesses and the war against churches (where to me the right for a church to get involved in social causes is far more important the right to hear Merry Christmas, and far more beneficial to Americans).

GunnyL said:
Play your literalist games on someone else, bub. The implication does the damage it's intended to do without specification. Reeled your ass in pretty-damned quick, didn't it?
About as fast as O'Reilly reels you in.

NATO AIR said:
We can't fight every war, we can't be everywhere.

This is as true a valid excuse for not getting involved with Darfur as not getting involved with the culture war.

I believe in intelligent conservatism, call me elitist or snobbish, but I think its gotten us a lot further than O'Reilly and Limbaugh's "rant and rage" brand.

Ronald Reagan practiced it, to a large degree George Bush does as well. (intelligent conservatism)

Jesse Helms is a perfect example of this. Jesse always caught flack for his "rant and rage" tactics in the Senate. I believe Jesse could have gotten even further than he did (in making serious progress in changing the way Americans view the UN (removing its holier than thou halo), forcing the State Dept. to join the rest of the US government and implement the president's policies, not their own and raising needed questions about affirmative action, abortion and education that still resonate today).

Now I say this because Jesse was never properly appreciated or respected by most (including many Republicans), because of his "words" and his infamous "rants and raves" about the UN, State Dept., Clinton etc etc. Behind this wall of infamy was a cunning mind of sharp analysis, original ideas and down-home common sense. Jesse was his most effective when he used factual evidence, good analysis and linkage to get his many opponents and enemies to bend to his will or to reform or change.

In the end, he was a master of both styles; but his legacy and his effectiveness were damaged by his inability to table the "rant and rage" enough of the time.

So go ahead, cheer O'Reilly, he's ranting and raging and raving and he's whipping up the folks, just like a good demagogue, Christian, Muslim, Communist or Nazi. He's perfect for the role, though its a shame that he's not an authentic firebrand, just a guy who plays on TV and the radio.

Rather than facts and figures, analysis and informed opinion, he offers ranting, raving, preaching and bullshit. Perfect for the short-attention span minded, but poor for the people who actually want the facts.

Again, WFB, George Will or Cal Thomas any day over crap like O'Reilly.

I think there's a place for both types.

We need the "loudmouths" such as O'Reilly, Hannity, and Limbaugh as much as we need the conservative thinkers. They are battling the good fight in the voice and visual media. Before Limbaugh and O'Reilly the conservative voice did not even exist in those media. Except for the likes of Buckley and a few others in print, conservatives were scarcely heard by middle America who got their info mostly from the alphabet channels.

They're not perfect but are better than nothing and I think (hope) that the pendulum will continue to swing to the right with their help.

A lot of the discrediting of the ACLU is being accomplished by the likes of O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc. They are also taking on the Courts and supporting the Iraq war. The "war on Christmas" is being won. Notice how the stores are starting express Merry Christmas again.

The live media arena may be scrappy and not too "intellectual" but it certainly is getting some results in making people more aware. :thup:

The ClayTaurus said:
Yes, that was a masterful job of turning that all around into promotion of his website and I'm better than you because I give more money to charity than you posturing. That whole talking point redefined pompous. That's not to say that he doesn't have a point, but damn, can one man get any more full of himself?

Now come on, ClayTaurus. O'Reilly had a perfect right to defend himself against Kristof's smears. O'Reilly uses his program to fight against a lot of evils in this world every single day, and to insinuate that he is a plastic Christian fighting against meaningless causes is quite a stretch to make. O'Reilly's programs directed against the anti-Christmas campaign have a lot of supporters, me among them. When 95% of Americans call themselves Christians, and the other 5% starts a campaign to weaken and deprive us of our meaningful holidays, then O'Reilly is right to stand up against this campaign and bring to people's attention what is going on.

O'Reilly's comment about donations to charity shows that he puts his money where his mouth is. I did not get the sense that he was bragging about that, but rather showing that Kristof's smears did not hold much water. Makes one wonder how much Kristof "walks the walk" instead of "talks the talk." All proceeds received from the sale of O'Reilly's "Factor" products is donated to charity, so he is really not aggrandizing himself money-wise through the sale of those products.

Adam's Apple said:
Now come on, ClayTaurus. O'Reilly had a perfect right to defend himself against Kristof's smears. O'Reilly uses his program to fight against a lot of evils in this world every single day, and to insinuate that he is a plastic Christian fighting against meaningless causes is quite a stretch to make. O'Reilly's programs directed against the anti-Christmas campaign have a lot of supporters, me among them. When 95% of Americans call themselves Christians, and the other 5% starts a campaign to weaken and deprive us of our meaningful holidays, then O'Reilly is right to stand up against this campaign and bring to people's attention what is going on.

O'Reilly's comment about donations to charity shows that he puts his money where his mouth is. I did not get the sense that he was bragging about that, but rather showing that Kristof's smears did not hold much water. Makes one wonder how much Kristof "walks the walk" instead of "talks the talk." All proceeds received from the sale of O'Reilly's "Factor" products is donated to charity, so he is really not aggrandizing himself money-wise through the sale of those products.

Ha, that's funny.

O'Reilly.... pays off the sex scandal he got himself into. Slanders anyone and everyone who crosses him. "Claims", "Claims", "Claims" he donates lots of money to charity, donates his proceeds to charity..... where's the proof? the man has a problem with the truth, highly evident when watching his show and watching his actions in the real world.

Kristof... well, all you can really criticize about is he's a liberal. Wow, that's just horrible. This is a guy who's on the ground reporting about "real" news, showcasing noble individuals and groups (from Christian missionaries and NGO's to pragmatic Chinese businessmen) who are doing good in the world. As I've said before, this guy is leaps and bounds above O'Reilly, both in intelligence and professionalism.

What the hell does O'Reilly know? Where he been? Has he seen genocide up close and personal like kristof has (Darfur)? how about totalitarian oppression (China-Tianenmen Square 1989)? what about young girls sold by their families into sexual slavery, some of whom are dying of AIDS and others who return to the life of prostitution after they've been rescued because they have no faith in the other life they once led (thailand)? How about north korean refugees fleeing chinese agents and backstabbing south korean diplomats? (border region of north korea and china)? Or women in Pakistan who were gang-raped for the crimes of their brother?

All these and a whole lot more have come from Kristof's columns over the last 4 years and before that in his stories for various news services. The man can't even get visas in half the world's hellholes and pisspots because he's so pissed off various dictators and oppressive governments with his writing.

Hell, somewhere in the Asia section is a story he wrote about the Pakistani gang-rape victim. He wrote about her and enlisted the aid of his readers to help, they raised damn near half a million dollars in a week. She took that money and built a school for Pakistani girls so they can learn to read, write and have a future, not just be some kind of slave.

Not to mention the one-man media crusade he's been on Darfur, a genocide that has been taking place over the last 2 years that has thus far taken the lives of damn near half a million people. Kristof's efforts at getting this story out when no one else wanted to touch it has undoubtedly led many good-hearted Americans to donate money, time and their voices and political power to helping the genocide survivors of Darfur.

Do we need to talk any more about his record on behalf of the world's most screwed over?

I haven't seen jack shit from O'Reilly over the years that even comes close to this. To compare a punk like him with a guy like Kristof is a sick joke, and i'm not laughing any more. it just sad that some of you really think o'reilly is worth more than those toilet paper books he's been writing over the years.

Abbey Normal said:
But who's to say that what starts out as a war on Christmas won't someday slide it's way into a war on Christians? Full blown intolerance and persecution often start in small ways.

Which is why we always need to be aware of what's going on, no matter how busy we are in our daily lives.

The ClayTaurus said:
About as fast as O'Reilly reels you in.

For your information, I am not a fan of O'Reilly's. What I AM a fan of is people not tolerating BS attacks on their integrity by left-wingnut witch-hunters presenting a skewed, one-sided picture to the public

Abbey Normal said:

Good point; however, IMO, the attack against Christmas is an extension of the war already being waged against Christianity.

NATO AIR said:
Ha, that's funny.

Well, I certainly hope you feel better after that rant. More power to Kristof in fighting the causes he holds so dear. But he had no right to attack O'Reilly for using his program to alert Americans that the radical minority is trying to chip away the country's Christian foundation. Does anyone really believe that the radical left IS NOT trying to do that? Probably the real reason the libs and radicals are jumping on O'Reilly full force is because he is using his program to expose them. Good for O'Reilly!

Adam's Apple said:
NATO AIR said:
Ha, that's funny.
Well, I certainly hope you feel better after that rant. More power to Kristof in fighting the causes he holds so dear. But he had no right to attack O'Reilly for using his program to alert Americans that the radical minority is trying to chip away the country's Christian foundation. Does anyone really believe that the radical left IS NOT trying to do that? Probably the real reason the libs and radicals are jumping on O'Reilly full force is because he is using his program to expose them. Good for O'Reilly!

Now we're onto conspiracy theories. Gimme a break. Look at how incompetent these idiots are... they couldn't pull off a conspiracy if they had all the money, influence and power in the world. They're just outright delusional.

O'Reilly is playing them for ratings, like damn near everybody else on Fox News is (and who can blame them in the end, the wacko leftists are quite entertaining from a comfortable distance).

Karl Rove has been (and will continue to) playing these twerps like a fiddle for the last five years, they've gotten nowhere other than awakening the American people to their pathetic bias towards the military, the family, the world.

The American people don't give a shit. They know the leftists chip away at their own efforts with every passing year.

and no the rant didn't make me feel better. it demeans the talent of real journalists (everyone from kristof to blogger michael yon) to be compared to an idiot like o'reilly, as well as the intelligence of anyone who knows the difference between jingoistic crap like the o'reilly factor and air america and real reporting, like the aforementioned michael yon, john burns, simon reeve, dana priest, bob kaplan and others like kristof.

NATO AIR said:
and no the rant didn't make me feel better. it demeans the talent of real journalists (everyone from kristof to blogger michael yon) to be compared to an idiot like o'reilly, as well as the intelligence of anyone who knows the difference between jingoistic crap like the o'reilly factor and air america and real reporting, like the aforementioned michael yon, john burns, simon reeve, dana priest, bob kaplan and others like kristof.

O'Reilly, who btw, drives me nuts, is not, nor claims to be a journalist. He is a commentator. Now if only the MSM media would seperate out news and commentary, I would be happy. Kristof chose O'Reilly because of his ratings and audience, that was cheap and to sell papers, which is fine.

Kathianne said:
O'Reilly, who btw, drives me nuts, is not, nor claims to be a journalist. He is a commentator. Now if only the MSM media would seperate out news and commentary, I would be happy. Kristof chose O'Reilly because of his ratings and audience, that was cheap and to sell papers, which is fine.

With the price rises and that times select foolishness, can we honestly assume the NYT is selling papers?

:laugh:

mark my words, it will be a centrist paper in 5 years or less... this liberal crusader crap won't cut it much longer, the bottom line just isn't there.

NATO AIR said:
With the price rises and that times select foolishness, can we honestly assume the NYT is selling papers?

:laugh:

mark my words, it will be a centrist paper in 5 years or less... this liberal crusader crap won't cut it much longer, the bottom line just isn't there.

I know I won't pay to read Kristof or Dowd. I wonder how many really are?

NATO AIR said:
Now we're onto conspiracy theories.

No, these are no longer just "conspiracy theories", but "conspiracy theories" activated. I have no doubt in my mind that you are aware that the left is chipping away, day by day, at the Christian foundations of this country. You tune in to what's going on, so you know about the left's feverish activity to ban prayer and display the Ten Commandments, defend abortion and gay marriage, teach kids secularism in the public schools, propagandize that "free love" is good, adultery is only sex, blah, blah, blah.

The people are finally waking up to what's happening. O'Reilly is just using his program to say "enough is enough already" and has taken a stand not to let this chipping away of Christian values continue. If the left doesn't like the Christian foundations of America--supported by a large majority of Americans--they are free to take up residence in a country--Europe is wide open--more supportive of their desires.

Regarding your statement that the "American people have a pathetic bias towards the military, the family, and the world", I don't think anything could be further from the truth. Please enlighten me about this. I always thought it was those on the political left who had a "pathetic bias" towards the military and the family. And as far as the "world" is concerned, when there is a need, isn't it the Americans who are always the first in line to offer help?

Adam's Apple said:
Regarding your statement that the "American people have a pathetic bias towards the military, the family, and the world", I don't think anything could be further from the truth. Please enlighten me about this. I always thought it was those on the political left who had a "pathetic bias" towards the military and the family. And as far as the "world" is concerned, when there is a need, isn't it the Americans who are always the first in line to offer help?

You misread my statement. I stated (and perhaps should clarify?):

Karl Rove has been (and will continue to) playing these twerps like a fiddle for the last five years, they've gotten nowhere other than awakening the American people to their pathetic bias towards the military, the family, the world.

They being the pathetic leftists, awakening the American people to THEIR (the leftists) bias.

The ClayTaurus said:
Yes, that was a masterful job of turning that all around into promotion of his website and I'm better than you because I give more money to charity than you posturing. That whole talking point redefined pompous. That's not to say that he doesn't have a point, but damn, can one man get any more full of himself?

yes. But you dont want to see it happen.

ill say it again - I seriously dislike OReilly. He seems to fake.

Forum List

Back