A bridge between Mods and Non Mods: Ambassadors

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by phoenyx, Sep 19, 2016.

?

What do you think of this idea?

1. Good

10.5%
  2. Bad

68.4%
  3. Not Sure

5.3%
  4. Other (please elaborate in comments)

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex.

Alex. BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,495
    You win the prize and it is no wonder........you are a paid messageboard poster.:thup::dance:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. phoenyx

phoenyx Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +404
    -I- care about how they reach their decisions, and I'm certainly not the only one. Fortunately, there are at least some moderators here (I'm looking at you flacaltenn :p) who are willing to explain these decisions, atleast in a private way. However, I thought that perhaps decisions that affect a fair amount of people on USMB -could- be discussed publicly, by someone who the moderation team would probably trust wouldn't mess things up- that is, a member of their own team, flacaltenn. Here's how I think it could work- people get upset about one or more mod decisions; flacal writes a weekly/biweekly newsletter addressing the general issue, without going into the specifics of any particular mod decision. Comments would be allowed to be made, but in a Clean Debate Zone type of forum, which I think could go a long way towards the thread dissolving into a mess.

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48,470
    Not a terrible idea, but the moderator who agrees to do this will be agreeing to increase his responsibilities here. People would probably be PMing him and bothering him all the time. Lol. flacaltenn

4. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,012
    I like the way things are now. If you have a question, email the mod.

5. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,813
    One of realities is -- Voting of any form would not get candidates who are INTERESTED in serving as volunteers. A small fraction of the membership is probably willing to dedicate the time it would take to review 100s of moderation actions a week and boil that down into something interesting and hopefully entertaining and helpful.

There's no auto tally of the number of posts deleted, warnings issued, thread closures and movements, PM chats, bans from thread, forum, or the board. So --- they'd have read thru pages of mod logs and notes to do it.

Best way would be (brain-storming only) soliciting volunteers for a job like that and then culling the list in some fashion. And because of the biases and polarization on the boards -- it would have to be a done deal rather than a vote of approval.

This whole thread exercise was condoned in the 1st place only because (IMO) there is nothing to hide and everything to gain by THINKING about ways to assure folks WE ARE DOING stuff to make the place more readable and enjoyable. And unfortunately, most of what we do has lousy visibility to the membership.

The staff at USMB are some of the BEST and most people-conscious folks I've EVER worked with in ANY endeavor.. And the Rules of this place are the simplest and most brilliant strategy to allow full discussion and free speech that I've ever seen in a public forum. So simple in fact -- we're forced to train the Robo-Mods that arrived from S. Korea last month to replace us.. :biggrin:

Just thought you might need to know -- their names are Socko and Dingyah. And they are fascinated with the Ban Buttons....

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  6. Pumpkin Row

Pumpkin Row Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,160
    So, then, should we go with the newsletter idea, would you volunteer, and if so, who would you want to work with?

7. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44,442
    Mods are Gods on this Board.

You are asking to get hit by lightning.

8. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,813

I thank you for that. And Thx for not mentioning the forums. Not sure that wasn't sarcasm, but a lot of that exists .I've experienced that before as have many other members and it stinks. . It's tyranny. plain and simple.

That is a GOLDEN example of why the USMB rules are so simple..... That's why this is my social network home base...

OTH --- As theDoc pointed out --- pure Democracy on a message board will take it down faster. So I personally (and I'm not speaking for USMB or Staff) don't see a problem with members discussing ideas and proposals for "inspecting" the inner workings of the Moderation Team. I think it's healthy to do that as long as specific gripes and specific personalities are left completely out of the discussion..

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  9. Lucy Hamilton

Lucy Hamilton Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,038
    Why wasn't this thread treated like any threads that would openly criticise moderators and moderation at this forum,. that's why wasn't the thread locked within minutes of the OP?

Phoenix joined in June and has a little more than 1,000 posts and he's allowed to get away with the OP, why?

Watch for this comment of mine to be deleted, which will only fuel the rumours that began last night.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pumpkin Row

Pumpkin Row Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,160
    He asked a Mod in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.