Forum is constantly crashing for me

SYTFE

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2016
Trolling/No Content
What is going on? I have to say that this place is one of the SLOWEST forums I've ever posted on, and it's starting to get really frustrating. Sometimes this site takes ages to load, sometimes I can't even finish composing a post because it crashes. This only happens to me here. Today it's crashed at least 5 times. XenForo is the biggest piece of shit forum software in existence. I'd recommend scrapping everything and rebuilding with Vbulletin.

What's with the sponsored links by Taboola BS? I know you're not making money on those...

Slow as hell for me too. I have to disable the script a lot of the time with a add-on on firefox called yesscipt. The problem with doing this is all the editing stuff when you go to post a message stops working when I do this...So I go back and forth.

No problems yet

th

What is going on? I have to say that this place is one of the SLOWEST forums I've ever posted on, and it's starting to get really frustrating. Sometimes this site takes ages to load, sometimes I can't even finish composing a post because it crashes. This only happens to me here. Today it's crashed at least 5 times. XenForo is the biggest piece of shit forum software in existence. I'd recommend scrapping everything and rebuilding with Vbulletin.

What's with the sponsored links by Taboola BS? I know you're not making money on those...

I had the same problem.

XenForo is actually one of the better packages I've seen.

I do not think that is your problem. In my experience, it is the ad links that US Message Board has decided to run.

Whether they choose the ads directly, or hired a ad-service to display them.... the ads will pop up video ads, that automatically play.

These auto-play ads, absolutely murdered my computer. I don't know if there is a setting on USMB side, or if it's simply inherent to the ads, but these auto-play ads just destroy my computer.

I quickly installed "adblock plus", and then blocked all video ads.

This may hurt how much ad money USMB gets.... but I simply can't use the forum with those video ads grinding my computers to a near catatonic state. The instant I blocked those ads, my computer sprang back to life.

If I could not block the ads, then I would not use the forum anymore. It's not just a choice, it's imposible to use the forum with ads making my computer into a Commodore 64.

Anyway, that is your solution. Either install Adblock Plus to your web browser... or install any other ad blocking software that will prevent the videos from coming up. It's the videos that are the killers. You can't use this forum without blocking them.

That's my advice. Find a way to block the ads. If that doesn't stop the crash and slow-tastic crap.... then maybe it's the scripts and forum software. Sad to say, it really is one of the better packages.

Last edited:
  • Banned

I had the same problem.

I do not think that is your problem. In my experience, it is the ad links that US Message Board has decided to run.

Whether they choose the ads directly, or hired a ad-service to display them.... the ads will pop up video ads, that automatically play.

These auto-play ads, absolutely murdered my computer. I don't know if there is a setting on USMB side, or if it's simply inherent to the ads, but these auto-play ads just destroy my computer.

This may hurt how much ad money USMB gets.... but I simply can't use the forum with those video ads grinding my computers to a near catatonic state. The instant I blocked those ads, my computer sprang back to life.

If I could not block the ads, then I would not use the forum anymore. It's not just a choice, it's imposible to use the forum with ads making my computer into a Commodore 64.

Anyway, that is your solution. Either install Adblock Plus to your web browser... or install any other ad blocking software that will prevent the videos from coming up. It's the videos that are the killers. You can't use this forum without blocking them.

They're only running display ads from 2 platforms, google adsense and taboola. You are correct about the auto-play movie ads -- those always kill me too. However, google's platform by itself will not slow down performance, they're actually blazing fast. It's just a particular "type" of display ad that is slow as molasses.

Those need to be disabled, cereal killer. The click through rate on those is very low, only run text based and image based ads. Disable rich media/flash ads.

But I also suspect it has something to do with the Xenforo "alert" feature. That always seems to wreak havoc with firefox for me.

Code is very bloated with a ton of stuff running in the background. This forum needs a complete overhaul.

• Banned
Slow as hell for me too. I have to disable the script a lot of the time with a add-on on firefox called yesscipt. The problem with doing this is all the editing stuff when you go to post a message stops working when I do this...So I go back and forth.

Yup. The auto-save feature when writing a post is another likely problem.

The forum works fine for me. Absolutely no issues.

Clearly, the OP is failing at the interwebs.

I had the same problem.

That's my advice. Find a way to block the ads. If that doesn't stop the crash and slow-tastic crap.... then maybe it's the scripts and forum software. Sad to say, it really is one of the better packages.

Are you using Firefox as well? Chrome?

I had the same problem.

They're only running display ads from 2 platforms, google adsense and taboola. You are correct about the auto-play movie ads -- those always kill me too. However, google's platform by itself will not slow down performance, they're actually blazing fast. It's just a particular "type" of display ad that is slow as molasses.

Those need to be disabled, cereal killer. The click through rate on those is very low, only run text based and image based ads. Disable rich media/flash ads.

But I also suspect it has something to do with the Xenforo "alert" feature. That always seems to wreak havoc with firefox for me.

Code is very bloated with a ton of stuff running in the background. This forum needs a complete overhaul.

Don't know what to tell you on that. Once I blocked the ads, I have had zero issues whatsoever.

I'm running a 2009 Imac Mini, 2 Ghz, 3 Gb of ram. Zero issues on Firefox, Safari, or Opera.

Additionally, I have used my laptop at work to connect to this forum, and it's a Pentium Slobile 1.7 Ghz with only 768 MB of ram.

Works perfectly.

My guess based on what you have said, is that you either have an infestation of Adware on your computer, or your Firefox needs a reset.

Just a guess though.

Besides that, most of the scripts are fairly basic, and I wouldn't want to lose the auto-save function.

Last edited:

Trust the people telling you that Google Chrome has issues handling the auto-play stuff. My experience and folks I've talked to on USMB all agree. Tons of performance once you find those switches to turn it off. Problem might be you have multiple tabs open with these ads RELOADING new material all the time. Or even TWO ads on page with animation.

Worth it to avoid the annoying side effects of adblockers holding you up after 30 to buy the licenses.

Not having any problems with Opera. I think it's my Firefox. I probably should delete Firefox and re-download it.

I'm on a 2010 MacBook Pro, btw.

Not having any problems with Opera. I think it's my Firefox. I probably should delete Firefox and re-download it.

I'm on a 2010 MacBook Pro, btw.

Firefox has a nifty reset feature. It barfs out all the crap, and keeps only your personal data (logins and such). It is effectively the same as deleting everything and starting over, except you don't have to re-enter all your passwords. Although I would hope you have that information backed up somewhere.

Even then, the reset function dumps a folder on your desktop, which contains all the old data it barfed up during the reset. Thus in the highly unlikely event that you lose something you need, you could go digging through the old data folder to find it.

I have had to do a reset on Firefox several times. Once because it simply got bogged down, and a few others because I moronically installed some adware/malware that switched on Forest Gump mode, and wouldn't do anything but go to a web address that installed more adware. (death penalty for virus / malware developers is my campaign slogan. Vote for Andy in this election).

Regardless in all 3 resets, it kept all my personal data, and barfed out the crap. Never had to dig through it for anything. Kept it on a backup drive in cased I needed it for about 6 months, and deleted it.

You should try doing the reset function first. It's possible it could fix everything. Can't hurt to try.

Forum List

Back