A Beautiful Country

Isaac Brock

Sep 28, 2003
The last week and a half was truly illuminating for me. I had the opportunity to travel through a large section of the United States in order to compete at an international engineering competition is Las Cruces, NM. Now, I am no stranger to the states as my rowing often allows me frequent dips south of the 49th. I travelled through the centre of your country:
North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado to a final destination of New Mexico and Texas.

The scenery was breathtaking from rolling prairies, to high-top mountains to expansive scrub-desert. Americans should have pride in the natural wealth of your country.

However, it was the people that made it really worthwhile. Travelling through some fairly, well, conservative, areas of the country. Our team was not worried, but certainly we had it in mind that we were Canadians with opposing ideas. However our concerns were completely unfounded. We found hospitality wherever we trekked. From the ranchers and truckers in the diner in South Dakota, to the Elders in the reserves in New Mexico, to our hispanic boarding family and to our university hosts and fellow students at the competition itself.

I've always said in Canada that if all us Canadians travelled across our own countries we'd realize we have more in common that different and that we could avoid issues such as separation and alienation.

I'd suggest the US is no different. Despite sometimes the evidence to the contrary, you are one people. People may have a plurality of views on what is right is wrong, but that is healthy and should be incouraged. You should be proud of your country, all of it. I know now, more than ever, that I'm proud to be your neighbour even if we don't always agree.

Thanks for the uplifting words Isaac. I have had a chance to witness some good ol' Southern hospitality myself lately, but I'm glad to hear that your trip was so pleasant.

Great to hear you had a pleasant experience here in the States. One on one, I believe that most people are nice and hospitable.

Thank you for the words, Isaac. I hope to travel to Canada someday and visit some of the beautiful places friends have told me of. One of my closest friends has been to Banff several times and tells me the drive there, through the Canadian Rockies, and Banff itself is just breathtaking.

acludem

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
The last week and a half was truly illuminating for me. I had the opportunity to travel through a large section of the United States in order to compete at an international engineering competition is Las Cruces, NM. Now, I am no stranger to the states as my rowing often allows me frequent dips south of the 49th. I travelled through the centre of your country:
North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado to a final destination of New Mexico and Texas.

The scenery was breathtaking from rolling prairies, to high-top mountains to expansive scrub-desert. Americans should have pride in the natural wealth of your country.

However, it was the people that made it really worthwhile. Travelling through some fairly, well, conservative, areas of the country. Our team was not worried, but certainly we had it in mind that we were Canadians with opposing ideas. However our concerns were completely unfounded. We found hospitality wherever we trekked. From the ranchers and truckers in the diner in South Dakota, to the Elders in the reserves in New Mexico, to our hispanic boarding family and to our university hosts and fellow students at the competition itself.

I've always said in Canada that if all us Canadians travelled across our own countries we'd realize we have more in common that different and that we could avoid issues such as separation and alienation.

I'd suggest the US is no different. Despite sometimes the evidence to the contrary, you are one people. People may have a plurality of views on what is right is wrong, but that is healthy and should be incouraged. You should be proud of your country, all of it. I know now, more than ever, that I'm proud to be your neighbour even if we don't always agree.

You outta see my route from college to home and back. I start mere minutes from the Ozark National Forest in Arkansas and come quite close to the Buffallo National River. After I'm out of the Ozarks, it's nothing but rolling farmland as far as the eye can see until I hit my grandparents' house in NE Arkansas. The next day, I hop up into the boot heel of Missouri, then catch a highway all the way to Jackson. Then I turn towards Nashville, so more farmland. After Nashville, I hit the Appalachians on my way to Chattanooga. There's even a town called Monteagle which is waaaaay up on top of a mountain. The view from the highway is beautiful. Last time I took that route was back from Christmas and there was a clear elevation line where the temperature dropped below freezing. After Chattanooga, it's deep south all the way home. First to Atlanta, then turn NE for home. The view, the food, and the people are all magnificent.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Sounds like you had a good time, Isaac. Swing by New York next time and I'll buy you a beer. :)

Sounds good!

You outta see my route from college to home and back.

Wow now that sounds like a scenic trip!

If anyone ever comes up to Canada I suggest skipping my part of the country and taking a look at BC from the island to Prince George and than inland. For those who like adventure, Nahanni River/Fall, Northwest Terretories or Algonquin Park in Ontario(A must see in fall!). Quebec is really quite nice too with the old cities and settlements and detractors aside, most of them are quite hospitable. Or if you haven't had your fair share of funny accents you can always take to the highway in Newfoundland and visit Town.

Forum List

Back