A 1942 Bowery Boys film reveals US attitude toward Asians in WW2

Discussion in 'History' started by Mojo2, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Mojo2

Mojo2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,511
    A 1942 Bowery Boys film reveals US attitude toward Asians in WW2

This 1942 Bowery Boys film, "Let's Get Tough," gives us an idea of what America's attitudes were toward Asians immediately after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Any student of history or WWII or America during the war years or racial prejudice and stereotypes prompted by the attack will find this movie illustrative if not entertaining

Let's Get Tough! (1942) - IMDb

Note the inclusion of a Black member of their gang, who also hurls tomatoes at the Chinese shopkeeper's storefront when the boys thought he was Japanese.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  2. MaryL

MaryL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +468
    My father was wounded by a Japanese soldier in 1942. That generation really seemed to hate Japanese with a passion I couldn't understand. That is a generational thing. I wonder about my own ...dislikes. We lost more people on 9/11 than at Pearl harbor. And then, there are illegal Mexican immigrants (who have damaged me beyond words).I despise Muslims and illegals as much as my dad did the japanese. We all have our wounds. Speaking of fathers, happy fathers day all, vets especially.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  3. Picaro

Picaro VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
  4. Mojo2

Mojo2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,511
    I remember as a little boy in the 2nd or 3rd grade, I had mixed feelings about cute little Nancy Kanugi or some kind of Japanese name. She had come over to where I was playing in the recess yard and made some kind of friendly advance.

I was, however, a fan of WWII films and books and comic books and all I knew about Krauts and Japs was that they were the bad guys.

I liked her, but she was a Jap (this was during the JFK era) so I stopped playing with her and never had much to do with her again after that.

Later, during Lee Iacocca's takeover of the Chrysler Corporation in the 1980's I sold cars for them and met several WWII era vets who absolutely refused to even LOOK at our Mitsubishi models because of WWII.

The movie I posted is an entertaining bit of pro America propaganda I hope everyone watches at least a few minutes of.

5. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,101
    So, Mojo2? That's how America thinks about the traitorous far right today.

In fact, my dad and step dad, who both fought the Japanese as infantry and marine riflemen in WWII, would tell you the military training films were far worse.

Most people have a very difficult time in killing people.

Some of us in the military later adapted without any problems, others not so much.

6. Picaro

Picaro VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    A lot of Japanese cars got vandalized in the '80's, especially in the Midwest where the auto industry was taking a hit. A few here in Texas also, but not nearly as much as in the auto ind. states.

7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    Common citizens only knew what the government told them after FDR took over the media during WW2. The government's racist attitude toward the Japanese bordered on criminal negligence prior to WW2. Maybe that's why we were so unprepared for war in the Pacific. The FDR administration actually thought the Japanese were little near sighted war like creatures who couldn't build a ship that would float or a plane that would fly. The people in charge actually thought that the Japanese had a balance problem that made it impossible to fly a plane.

8. HenryBHough

HenryBHough Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,529

Now Jake....or if you prefer, Pajama Boy, please do not equate your Democrat colleagues with actual Americans.

9. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +557
    There was talk during WWII of letting GI's vote for the president. Republicans and Southerners fought the bill in Congress. Republicans because they knew the vote would be for FDR and Southerners because Blacks would be allowed to vote. I was in a rifle company at Sansapor New Guinea at the time and I was prepared to vote for the first time, but it was not to be. That most of us, if not all in my company, would have voted Democratic for FDR is a given. We heard that there was a Republican in K company but we were too lazy to see if it was true.

10. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,101
    Henry, you are not American in the first place, haven't served in the second place, and don't understand adult conversation. Hush.