9 days without a murder.

My daughter graduated from UCF two years ago. She moved to NYC to find work. She got a nice job as a manager of a high-end steakhouse in manhattan. I was proud of her, stil am, but I worried about her being in NYC. She lives in Astoria.

I went up to see her there after about 6 months. I was surprised to find out how safe it was in NYC these days. In Astoria where she lives, kids play outside, and women walk the streets (no, not hookers) at might going to and from work. My daughter gets home at about midnight from the restaurant and has to walk three blocks from the subway station.

I was doing the tourist thing while I was there and several times while I was trying to read the map and find out how to get somewhere, a NY resident would stop and ask if I needed help. This floored me. Whta city was I in? Because this can't be big bad NYC!

After my 2nd trip a few months ago, I came back to Orlando and was getting gas near my home at about 1am. Two guys were about to go to fighting at the pump next to me. I was wondering if one of them was going to pull a gun.

I felt safer in NYC. Funny shit.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back