83% of Doctors Will Leave Medicine due to ACA.....

geauxtohell

Choose your weapon.
Jun 27, 2009
Out here in the middle.
So about that soon to be famous poll (cross posted from another thread for easy reference):

83% of doctors said they would seriously consider leaving medicine.

Link?

The Doctor Patient Medical Association has released a new survey of about 700 doctors, and the results are bleak. Scary bleak. Among other dismal figures, Doctors' Attitudes on the Future of Medicine: What’s Wrong, Who’s to Blame, and What Will Fix It found that 83% of respondents are contemplating leaving the industry if Obamacare is fully implemented, owing to its disastrous projected consequences. Indeed, they openly blame the healthcare law for their industry's woes:

KEY FINDINGS

90% say the medical system is on the WRONG TRACK
83% say they are thinking about QUITTING
61% say the system challenges their ETHICS
85% say the patient-physician relationship is in a TAILSPIN
65% say GOVERNMENT INVOLVEMENT is most to blame for current problems
72% say individual insurance mandate will NOT result in improved access care
49% say they will STOP accepting Medicaid patients
74% say they will STOP ACCEPTING Medicare patients, or leave Medicare completely
52% say they would rather treat some Medicaid/Medicare patient for FREE
57% give the AMA a FAILING GRADE representing them
1 out of 3 doctors is HESITANT to voice their opinion
2 out of 3 say they are JUST SQUEAKING BY OR IN THE RED financially
95% say private practice is losing out to CORPORATE MEDICINE
80% say DOCTORS/MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS are most likely to help solve things
70% say REDUCING GOVERNMENT would be single best fix.

Thanks Obamacare: 83% of Doctors Surveyed Say They May Quit - Kate Hicks

I am sorry, but other than the DPMA's obvious guiding bias (founded in February of 2011):

Guiding Principles | Doctor Patient Medical Association

There poll is obviously biased as well:

Here is their methodology-
ABOUT THE SURVEY

The survey was conducted by fax and online from April 18 to May 22, 2012. DPMAF obtained the office fax numbers of 36,000 doctors in active clinical practice, and 16, 227 faxes were successfully delivered. Doctors were asked to return their completed surveys by fax, or online at a web address included in the faxed copy. Browser rules prevented doctors from filing duplicate surveys, and respondents were asked to provide personal identification for verification. The response rate was 4.3% for a total of 699 completed surveys.

SURVEY RESPONDENTS

Doctors from 45 states responded, in addition to 130 who did not provide their geographical information.
Most are in solo or small group practice (81%) and office-based (89%) versus hospital-based (11%).
Most of the doctors are mid-career (77%) and have been in practice between 11 and 30 years.

First, the poll has a huge selection bias* as it is limited to physicians who have their own fax (Not a given. Many doctors don't have their own fax line in an office. For example, EM physicians work out of the department. The fax machines there are for patient business only.) This is evident by the fact that EM isn't represented as a group in the respondents:

DPMA Foundation : Physician Attitude Survey Demographics

So, the one specialty that is in the thick of this thing ("Patients getting all their care in the ED") isn't represented in this poll.

The survey also has an extremely low power. Of the 16K successful faxes they delivered, less than 5% bothered to respond. So could we conclude from that number that 95% of physicians are not worried about ACA? Probably not. However, it leads to a large degree of statistical doubt.

The "fax bias" is further borne out in the responses they got. 81% in solo or group practice?

So already, it is dubious to say that a large number of physicians will leave medicine..... What is more accurate is "a large number of physicians in solo or small group practice" will leave medicine. That is far from representative of the whole and it is done with a rather large selection bias (via the fax).

*The concepts I bolded "selection bias" and "power" are true statistical data properties and you can double check my logic on that.

The sky is always falling around Katzndogz.

:lol:

In fairness, this poll is going to get a lot of play in the coming days. I doubt the media has the mental ability to figure this out.

It's a biased poll. I suspect the biased group who conducted it chose to elicit responses via fax for a reason. They aren't stupid.

Not so coincidentally, the primary respondents from this poll (private practice) are also the physicians who have the latitude to decline patients with insurance (non emergent or emergency room based).

That doesn't make them bad people, but it means they have an interest in preserving the status quo.

Not so coincidentally, the primary respondents from this poll (private practice) are also the physicians who have the latitude to decline patients with insurance (non emergent or emergency room based).

That doesn't make them bad people, but it means they have an interest in preserving the status quo.

It's unfortunate we can't assume what seems to be glaringly obvious with respect to the dismal amount of responses from the poll.

We can however safely assume that Katz is several blueberries short of a muffin....because he/she truly believes the initial statement he/she made. :thup:

Getting rid of Obama is a start.................:clap2:

$0695798d97f274fbf5b90f4c47ad4086.jpg <------Click picture for larger version

Boy oh boy is the quality of medical care for Americans gonna take a crash dive shortly or what??? I could not believe the % of physicians planning to clear the field of health care & take on other fields of employment. The 83% was so unbelievable that I checked other websites out to see if it was not a scare story. Sure enough, the other links are reporting the same percentage also...

Thanks Obamacare: 83% of Doctors Surveyed Say They May Quit - Kate Hicks

Thanks Obamacare: 83% of Doctors Surveyed Say They May Quit | askmarion

Thanks Obamacare: 83% of Doctors Surveyed Say They May Quit

* Who Is John Galt? 83% of Doctors Surveyed Say They May Quit*—*Pink Flamingo Bar

I've been warning the constituency about this GOP vs DNC good guy/bad guy game forever & a day. Now the horror of big government is showing up in spades at Americas front door just as it is has Europe. I'll say it again... GET OUT of the GOP/DNC & marry up with the constitutionally based parties before you are wishing to Christ you had!

If the constituency has not woke up with sore bleeding bungers they sure as hell outta been. Those big g'ment boys have both hands planted firmly on the back of the constituencies shoulders & their phukin' ya to death! It's not just the medical field problem but a host of other fields that big g'ment has invaded that is draining the constituency dry...

Drug War Clock | DrugSense

Estimated War-Related Costs, Iraq and Afghanistan &mdash; Infoplease.com

A Guide to Nation Building | RAND

Wake up... while there's still time!

Forum List

Back