800-Year-Old Seal Used by St. Sabas Uncovered

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It must be exciting to be an archeologist in the Middle East and discover such ancient things.

Posted by: Lea Speyer May 28, 2014 , 12:00 pm

An 800-year-old lead seal used by the Monastery of St. Sabas was uncovered by archaeologists in Jerusalem. The rare seal, found in the Bayit VeGan neighborhood, was discovered a year and a half ago but only identified as a unique seal after processing and studying the material.

The seal was uncovered in what archaeologists with the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) believe was part of a farmstead belonging to the monastery’s property. According to the IAA, the farmstead was built during the Byzantine period (5th-6th centuries CE). The site was abandoned at the end of the Byzantine period and resettled during the 11th-12th centuries CE during the Crusader period. The farmstead reached its largest size during the Mamluk period in the 13th-14th centuries CE.

While excavating the area, archaeologists uncovered items that “reflected daily life in the farmstead.” However, the seal, described as a “rare lead seal dating to the Crusader period,” was a surprise.

Read more at

800-Year-Old Seal Used by St. Sabas Uncovered - Israel News

It must be exciting to be an archeologist in the Middle East and discover such ancient things.

An 800-year-old lead seal used by the Monastery of St. Sabas was uncovered by archaeologists in Jerusalem. The rare seal, found in the Bayit VeGan neighborhood, was discovered a year and a half ago but only identified as a unique seal after processing and studying the material.

The seal was uncovered in what archaeologists with the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) believe was part of a farmstead belonging to the monastery’s property. According to the IAA, the farmstead was built during the Byzantine period (5th-6th centuries CE). The site was abandoned at the end of the Byzantine period and resettled during the 11th-12th centuries CE during the Crusader period. The farmstead reached its largest size during the Mamluk period in the 13th-14th centuries CE.

While excavating the area, archaeologists uncovered items that “reflected daily life in the farmstead.” However, the seal, described as a “rare lead seal dating to the Crusader period,” was a surprise.

Read more at

So will Israel give the site where the seal was found back to the Christians?? ... :cool:

He wasn't a saint when he used it...

Maybe you would like to tell us the years that he lived. It is my impression from the article that the seal was used in a Monestery which was named after him.

Read more at

So will Israel give the site where the seal was found back to the Christians?? ... :cool:

Did they ask for it?
Probably not...let the Jews handle the psycho Arabs.

Maybe you would like to tell us the years that he lived. It is my impression from the article that the seal was used in a Monestery which was named after him.

Okay, I guess you don't like cute...

Anyway...

I've never heard of this particular saint and I have no idea when he lived. But I do know this...

The title of your thread says:

Since they don't make you a saint until you're dead (so far as I know), if Sabas used this seal, he was alive and not a saint.

I realize you used the headline from the story so the title is not yours, but there you go...

Anyway...

I've never heard of this particular saint and I have no idea when he lived. But I do know this...

Since they don't make you a saint until you're dead (so far as I know), if Sabas used this seal, he was alive and not a saint.

I realize you used the headline from the story so the title is not yours, but there you go...

Sorry, but I didn't realize you were trying to be cute. However, I would think that regardless of the title, when someone read the article, they would surely pick up that it was the monestery itself that was being spoken about and not the Saint it was named after. Truthfully, I don't know all the Saints either. I never heard of the Saint that the Catholic Church in my area is named after. I probably should look him up.

Anyway...

Sorry, but I didn't realize you were trying to be cute. However, I would think that regardless of the title, when someone read the article, they would surely pick up that it was the monestery itself that was being spoken about and not the Saint it was named after. Truthfully, I don't know all the Saints either. I never heard of the Saint that the Catholic Church in my area is named after. I probably should look him up.

Maybe you need to move to the other side of the tracks, where us Catholics live.

Forum List

Back