8 amazing caverns in the US

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Formed over thousands, even millions of years, caverns are hidden natural wonders filled with gravity -defying formations made through the Earth’s constant shifting. While there are some 55,500-plus caves in the U.S., few have become major tourist attractions. Some are too dangerous for amateurs while the discovery of others has just begun. But you don’t have to be a professional spelunker to explore the beauty down below. Here are some of the most noteworthy caverns in the U.S.

8 amazing caverns in the US | Fox News

i've been to carlsbad, mammoth and luray. and of course howe right here in our own backyard

i've been to carlsbad, mammoth and luray. and of course howe right here in our own backyard

Carlsbad is a neat place...the caverns and the drive up to them. I have also been to The Cave Of The Winds in Manitou Springs CO. Much smaller than Carlsbad Caverns...but still worth seeing.

Carlsbad is a neat place...the caverns and the drive up to them. I have also been to The Cave Of The Winds in Manitou Springs CO. Much smaller than Carlsbad Caverns...but still worth seeing.

I've also done a lot of small caves and mines. nothing like crawling through a tight tunnel with no lights. very freaky.

I've also done a lot of small caves and mines. nothing like crawling through a tight tunnel with no lights. very freaky.

I remember a part of the tour at Cave Of The Winds where they turn off the lights...and you literally stand there and can't even see your hand in front of your face. I can't imagine trying to navigate a cramped tunnel, sometimes on your belly, with no light. Freaky indeed. Plus, I am kind of claustrophobic and sometimes suffer from panic attacks...so um... yeah.

I remember a part of the tour at Cave Of The Winds where they turn off the lights...and you literally stand there and can't even see your hand in front of your face. I can't imagine trying to navigate a cramped tunnel, sometimes on your belly, with no light. Freaky indeed. Plus, I am kind of claustrophobic and sometimes suffer from panic attacks...so um... yeah.

there is one by us where you literally crawl through on your stomach. its so tight there is no way you could turn around. eventually after about 40' of this tight crawling it opens up to a very small room. the first time I did it I could really feel my hear racing

If you ever get the chance;

Gunung Mulu National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in the middle of a rain forest.

Looks pretty amazing.

I had the opportunity to visit Mulu in 1997. It was un-freekinbeleavable. Something like six Super Domes could fit in the big cave. If you are ever in that part of the world, it is about a 2 hour flight from Singapore to Miri, and then a 45 minute puddle jumper flight from there.

I just googled some images, to get an idea. Not sure if all of these are from there...but some of them are really beautiful. Looks like there is some interesting critters along with the rock formations and bodies of water.

Gunung Mulu National Park images - Google Search

Been to Luray and Cave of the Winds. Most people don't know Cave of the Winds has intersecting caves that go on for miles with other openings. My best friend and I used to use one of the openings and explore for miles and with that one you'd better be up on your spelunking skills. Vertical shafts, boulder piles and passage cracks not to mention the twists and turns, if you didn't know your way you'd get lost.

The cavers I knew would roll their eyes at the term "spelunking". They were cavers, not spelunkers, and the activity was called "caving".

I don't know if the whole nation is like that, but that's how it is in Kentucky. Sloan's Valley Cave, down by Lake Cumberland. Nearly as many miles as Mammoth Cave, though not nearly as mammoth, and not well known. Because of the lake right next to it, it's a very wet cave, with water levels fluctuating unpredictably. It's closed down to everyone now, to keep the bat-killing fungus out.

The cavers I knew would roll their eyes at the term "spelunking". They were cavers, not spelunkers, and the activity was called "caving".

I don't know if the whole nation is like that, but that's how it is in Kentucky. Sloan's Valley Cave, down by Lake Cumberland. Nearly as many miles as Mammoth Cave, though not nearly as mammoth, and not well known. Because of the lake right next to it, it's a very wet cave, with water levels fluctuating unpredictably. It's closed down to everyone now, to keep the bat-killing fungus out.

caving? spelunking? I thought it was potholing

Forum List

Back