The best gun for home defense

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
First of all the term "home defense" is pretty broad. Let's say a person is qualified and wants a weapon to defend his family against the crazy who might come knocking on his door at 3 AM. A shotgun would be intimidating enough but it is unwieldy and hard to get to in an emergency. A handgun seems to be ideal for late night emergencies but I personally favor a wheel gun (revolver). You don't need to check a safety or feed a magazine or see if there is one in the chamber. The Tauris "judge" revolver is ideal. A revolver that can shoot a .45 or a 410 shotgun shell.

First of all the term "home defense" is pretty broad. Let's say a person is qualified and wants a weapon to defend his family against the crazy who might come knocking on his door at 3 AM. A shotgun would be intimidating enough but it is unwieldy and hard to get to in an emergency. A handgun seems to be ideal for late night emergencies but I personally favor a wheel gun (revolver). You don't need to check a safety or feed a magazine or see if there is one in the chamber. The Tauris "judge" revolver is ideal. A revolver that can shoot a .45 or a 410 shotgun shell.

The best self-defense weapon for the home is whatever one is comfortable and proficient with.

For me in the home it’s a Colt 1911 – perfectly safe in condition 1 and ready to use with a quick flick of the safety. It chambers a highly effective round on a reliable and manageable platform.

For those of us in rural areas who need to defend our property outside of the home, such as during a tropical storm/hurricane, an AK or SKS is the perfect weapon; both also chamber an effective round, are utterly reliable, and as used only at short range, accuracy is not an issue.

The best self-defense weapon for the home is whatever one is comfortable and proficient with.

For me in the home it’s a Colt 1911 – perfectly safe in condition 1 and ready to use with a quick flick of the safety. It chambers a highly effective round on a reliable and manageable platform.

For those of us in rural areas who need to defend our property outside of the home, such as during a tropical storm/hurricane, an AK or SKS is the perfect weapon; both also chamber an effective round, are utterly reliable, and as used only at short range, accuracy is not an issue.

I've always looked at ARs and AKs as the "Oh shit it's bad" guns. In other words I'm not likely to break it out for home defense.
Protecting your property from looters would be one of those "Oh shit it's bad" moments for sure. Gotta have that extra mag capacity for groups of looters.

There are different standards for home defense. It might seem sexist but I like the revolver because it's easy for a woman to use. There are no safeties to worry about or checking whether or not a round is chambered and no clack clack noise when you need to make sure it's ready to fire. A revolver has a nice 12 pound double action pull so there are no wild rounds going off and it's easy to conceal in a pocket. Looters and biker gangs are a different animal, a semi auto mild recoil SKS might be the ticket.

Well, I was going to address your question about which is the best HD firearm, but it's clear you're a revolver guy...which is cool. They're a fine choice. But which one...

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "Judge". For me, it would make a fine snake gun for horse riders out West, but if I was to choose a revolver for a home defense weapon, it would be this one:

Smith & Wesson 327 TRR8 Revolver - Article - POLICE Magazine

It's designed for HD and for the SWAT guy that first goes through the door holding the shield. A semi-auto in his hands would end up tossing empty cases into the guys behind him, and because he's holding the sidearm up against the side of the shield, that shield may impede the slide action of a semi-auto.

I like that it's designed to attach a light and/or laser under the barrel, while the top can take traditional sites or wide-view red 'dot' aiming systems designed for close quarters combat.

It's really cool HD revolver, IMO. I would choose .357 mag for the caliber.

Last edited:

Well, I was going to address your question about which is the best HD firearm, but it's clear you're a revolver guy...which is cool. They're a fine choice. But which one...

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "Judge". For me, it would make a fine snake gun for horse riders out West, but if I was to choose a revolver for a home defense weapon, it would be this one:

It's designed for HD and for the SWAT guy that first goes through the door holding the shield. A semi-auto in his hands would end up tossing empty cases into the guys behind him, and because he's holding the sidearm up against the side of the shield, that shield may impede the slide action of a semi-auto.

I like that it's designed to attach a light and/or laser under the barrel, while the top can take traditional sites or wide-view red 'dot' aiming systems designed for close quarters combat.

What you need in a home defense situation is to hit the target rather than a kill shot. The .357 is too much gun and in a panic situation you probably wouldn't even see the laser dot. I wouldn't hang my hat on a blast from a hand held 410 but it's an attention getter and probably would halt an assault and if the next cylinder is loaded with a .45 you have what you need.

Amazing that Clayton prefers a set of weapons he openly defends people that want to ban them.

I have no handguns anymore. My daughter lost my 9mm. I do have an M1 Garand and an M1 carbine with 1100 rounds for the carbine and about a thousand for the Garand with 25 loaded clips. I have 4 30 round mags 4 15 round mags a 10 round and a 5 round mag for the carbine but those are not loaded as the spring would wear out. I keep 50 rounds and several magazines on my computer desk.

But my weapons are not stored in an easy to reach spot right now, they are in the closet with a large Jewelry cabinet blocking one door.

No crime here right now hell I don't even usually lock my door at night.

My paranoia and suicidal thoughts make it a good idea to not fuel those thoughts with ready to hand weapons. But at the same time I HAVE to have them available so I compromise.

As long as I have geodon my suicidal thoughts are under complete control. They are there every day but not at any stage I would act on, just a wish I was dead but the family depends on me type deal.

Haven't tried to purchase a handgun because in 99 I attempted suicide and the Local Sheriff knows it, not sure if he would approve my hand gun permit or not. I can buy long guns though, just don't have the need or the money for anything.

Part of buying a weapon includes enough material and ammo to make it useful if ,as my delusional thinking keeps me going on, the end of society.

What you need in a home defense situation is to hit the target rather than a kill shot. The .357 is too much gun and in a panic situation you probably wouldn't even see the laser dot. I wouldn't hang my hat on a blast from a hand held 410 but it's an attention getter and probably would halt an assault and if the next cylinder is loaded with a .45 you have what you need.

I strongly disagree with everything you've written there, but no matter, you asked for advice, you can reject it.

12 gauge shotgun and a big dog are best for home defense. If the barking doesn't dissuade a break in..then the clac clac of the 12 gauge definitely will.

No need to even shoot.

What ever you choose it has to be readily available to do any good.
That's why a security system and a good dog are your best first options.

My .380 stays either tucked just under my mattress or under the center armrest of my truck.

If we're just chilling and watching TV when a home-invasion occurred, I'd never get to a gun in time

Best home defense? I have claymores and foo gas hidden in the walls with infrared triggers. Just remember to deactivate the sensors if ya get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

12 gauge shotgun and a big dog are best for home defense. If the barking doesn't dissuade a break in..then the clac clac of the 12 gauge definitely will.

No need to even shoot.

Or you just warned an intruder you are armed, and if the intruder is armed then he may just start top open fire indiscriminately.

If I lived in a crime-ridden area, or an isolated house on acreage, I would want two of those. One in my nightstand drawer and one next to my favorite chair in the living room. As a woman living alone, that, plus any sized dog, would make me feel secure. Of course I would have some training in hand gun use, behind me.

I used to target practice with skill, but was more accurate with a rifle than a handgun.

When I rode my horse in secluded areas, I wore a .22 caliber pistol strapped around my waist, where it was visible. That made me feel secure.

I prefer shotguns. I have one loaded with 3 birdshot rounds and 2 slugs. If the birdshot doesn't scare them off, then the slugs will.

As a backup I have a revolver, six-shooter .357 . They've served me just fine so far, see no reason to upgrade.

I prefer shotguns. I have one loaded with 3 birdshot rounds and 2 slugs. If the birdshot doesn't scare them off, then the slugs will.

As a backup I have a revolver, six-shooter .357 . They've served me just fine so far, see no reason to upgrade.

This is what I was going to say. I liked my .357, but the shotgun can fire so many different rounds that it makes a very effective general firearm. I like that revolvers don't jam, and anything more powerful than a .357 is just excess, but a .25 in a stocking can be a deadly last resort.

No need to even shoot.

Or you just warned an intruder you are armed, and if the intruder is armed then he may just start top open fire indiscriminately.

:lol:

Yes..just what every "intruder" wants..a gun battle.

No need to even shoot.

:lol:

Yes..just what every "intruder" wants..a gun battle.

Someone that is willing to enter your home,very likely knowing your there,and you want to second guess them,good luck with that.

Forum List

Back