75% of Oklahoma high school students can't name first president

The number one problem in American education is lack of parental involvement. You could have national education or local education, state-financed or privately-financed education -- if the kids are doing poorly, the parents are the problem. Period.

And now some moonbats want to take the pledge out of schools.

This Newdow decision was appealed to the US Supreme court. Newdow was dismissed for lack of Prudential standing.

ELK GROVE UNIFIED SCHOOL DIST. V. NEWDOW

He filed suit again with other Plaintiff's, here is the status, according to WIKI.

Newdow v. Carey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Case pending!

This is the District Court's opinion appealed to the 9th Circuit. He cites even though the case was reversed due to Standing, he is bound by precedent still to rule for the Plaintiff's on the issue of the Word God being a violation of the Establishment clause, as the 9th did.

http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/cnn/docs/religion/newdowus91405opn.pdf

Hey blu - are you a teacher too? :eusa_whistle:

I've been teaching for 12 years. 24 Parent/Teacher conferences and 12 Back to School Nights. I've met approx. 12 parents in 12 years. Some years I've met none.

When I call home and say "Johnny hasn't done any homework" the usual response is "I know. Johnny doesn't like homework".

We do the best we can with what got to work with. It's like banging your head against the wall sometimes.

Foreign students cannot believe how many of these students take their education for granted. I wish we could instill that in our American kids.

I am not a teacher officially, but I live with my gf and her son, and we work with him at least an hour a day after his hw on stuff outside his classroom, and I know many people I grew up whose parents were like you said and never made them do hw or take school serious and now they are working for minimum wage.

also, its very true on foreign students, I went to a college where a bunch of foreign students go, and they knew all the stuff we did the first two years of college as they covered it in their version of high school. the average american doesn't value education at all and woudl rather idolize sports figures or other entertainers. In a proper world, scientists and other highly educated people would be idolized instead of jocks and hollywood losers.

Hey blu - are you a teacher too? :eusa_whistle:

I've been teaching for 12 years. 24 Parent/Teacher conferences and 12 Back to School Nights. I've met approx. 12 parents in 12 years. Some years I've met none.

When I call home and say "Johnny hasn't done any homework" the usual response is "I know. Johnny doesn't like homework".

We do the best we can with what got to work with. It's like banging your head against the wall sometimes.

Foreign students cannot believe how many of these students take their education for granted. I wish we could instill that in our American kids.

I am not a teacher officially, but I live with my gf and her son, and we work with him at least an hour a day after his hw on stuff outside his classroom, and I know many people I grew up whose parents were like you said and never made them do hw or take school serious and now they are working for minimum wage.

also, its very true on foreign students, I went to a college where a bunch of foreign students go, and they knew all the stuff we did the first two years of college as they covered it in their version of high school. the average american doesn't value education at all and woudl rather idolize sports figures or other entertainers. In a proper world, scientists and other highly educated people would be idolized instead of jocks and hollywood losers.

:clap2:

First of all, is anyone saying that Washington being the first president HASN'T been taught to these kids?

Second of all, most teenagers retain what is only relevant to them. Explain to them how dead presidents are relevant to them. Go on. I wish you luck.

If you thing George Washington is nothing but a dead president then you should have failed history, civics and politics. Where did you go to school, was it CA or a foreign country?

That's pretty funny that you now say that I am like those kids. Far from it. History is my hobby...but I am not foolish enough to expect kids in HS today to have that same passion.

So...let me ask again...do you think they have NEVER been taught that Washington was our First President?

Why were they allowed to move on to the next grade if they didn't learn it?
The problem is twofold, parents that don't take an active participation in their children's education, and schools that pass children onto the next grade when they obviously haven't learned what they were supposed to.

Forum List

Back