75% of Oklahoma high school students can't name first president

First of all, is anyone saying that Washington being the first president HASN'T been taught to these kids?

Second of all, most teenagers retain what is only relevant to them. Explain to them how dead presidents are relevant to them. Go on. I wish you luck.

If you thing George Washington is nothing but a dead president then you should have failed history, civics and politics. Where did you go to school, was it CA or a foreign country?

First of all, is anyone saying that Washington being the first president HASN'T been taught to these kids?

Second of all, most teenagers retain what is only relevant to them. Explain to them how dead presidents are relevant to them. Go on. I wish you luck.

If you thing George Washington is nothing but a dead president then you should have failed history, civics and politics. Where did you go to school, was it CA or a foreign country?

That's pretty funny that you now say that I am like those kids. Far from it. History is my hobby...but I am not foolish enough to expect kids in HS today to have that same passion.

So...let me ask again...do you think they have NEVER been taught that Washington was our First President?

Let's invite the federal government to takeover health care. They've done such a bang up job involving themselves in the education of our young.

Ah, you beat me to it!

Poor Chris thought he was getting away with a snide joke regarding Oklahoma, when in fact he has simply given further proof of the government's inability to run few things with anything resembling efficiency and results based performance.

The Department of Education is a crock - a complete waste of taxpayer dollars and perhaps the most damaging legacy of the Carter administration....

As for the "relevance" of Washington arguement - that is valid in that the history of the Founders is increasingly ignored within our schools. American history pre-Civil War is often hardly touched upon in today's history class rooms. It is a hit and miss process until the Civil War, which is too often categorized as the war to free the blacks, and then it jumps to the WWI era where teachers give much time to the League of Nations. From there its off to the Great Depression and the New Deal, then WWII, and then another jump to civil rights, JFK, the New Society, Vietnam, Watergate, and then the year is about over - maybe a week or so given to American history post Watergate.

The above description is factual - I have reviewed the actual curriculum of high school history classes for over a hundred school districts across the country and sat in on at least as many high school history classes. The void of knowledge being created by our students is astonishing, and does a terrible disservice to the real history of our country, and the lack of knowledge surrounding the Founding Fathers is among the most grievous of these offenses...

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel

To make it relevant to teenagers let's go back to basics hey Kid's His picture is on the dollar bill that we earn and pay taxes so you know this stuff but it is also what gets you on line with xbox many 1$ bills with President George Washington's face on it that's 1 $ our first 1st President i will send my bill to Uncle SAM.
American bob

Would anyone care to really answer my question.

Does anyone here BELIEVE that these kids have never been taught that George Washington was our first President?

I don't know. Is social studies still taught?

Would anyone care to really answer my question.

Does anyone here BELIEVE that these kids have never been taught that George Washington was our first President?

I don't know. Is social studies still taught?

As far as I know it is...tho some states have made it a 2nd tier course because of the presure to get Math and Language grades up.

BTW...here is an example of the FIFTH grade framework for Oklahoma:

http://www.tulsaschools.org/employees/tr/xl_files/Gr5Qtr2IntegCurr0506.pdf

That framework is actually pretty good - though I have my doubts as to how much of it is actually taught, and to what degree.

And the sad part is, this information should be revisited in earnest at the high school level when a student's maturity is far more capable to grasp the concepts contained within the framework of the nation's founding history...

Let's invite the federal government to takeover health care. They've done such a bang up job involving themselves in the education of our young.

Ah, you beat me to it!

Poor Chris thought he was getting away with a snide joke regarding Oklahoma, when in fact he has simply given further proof of the government's inability to run few things with anything resembling efficiency and results based performance.

The Department of Education is a crock - a complete waste of taxpayer dollars and perhaps the most damaging legacy of the Carter administration....

As for the "relevance" of Washington arguement - that is valid in that the history of the Founders is increasingly ignored within our schools. American history pre-Civil War is often hardly touched upon in today's history class rooms. It is a hit and miss process until the Civil War, which is too often categorized as the war to free the blacks, and then it jumps to the WWI era where teachers give much time to the League of Nations. From there its off to the Great Depression and the New Deal, then WWII, and then another jump to civil rights, JFK, the New Society, Vietnam, Watergate, and then the year is about over - maybe a week or so given to American history post Watergate.

The above description is factual - I have reviewed the actual curriculum of high school history classes for over a hundred school districts across the country and sat in on at least as many high school history classes. The void of knowledge being created by our students is astonishing, and does a terrible disservice to the real history of our country, and the lack of knowledge surrounding the Founding Fathers is among the most grievous of these offenses...

How dare you insult the great state of Oklahoma!

Their university has a great football team!

Last edited:

Ah, you beat me to it!

go blow yourself, scumfuck.

Ah, you beat me to it!

We beat their ass last year (both my home team and later my alma mater).

History here is taught by coaches, Civics isn't taught at all. .

this is very true. my western civ teacher was the defensive coordinator and the civics teacher was the shot put coach. both classes were a joke

Except, you know, education policy is set by the states.
uh, not quite
remember teddy kennedy's little baby called NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND

Exactly - the federal intrusion into "state run" education is dominant to the point of an absolute monopoly. If the state does not comply with the Department of Eds plans, federal funding will be pulled. Without federal funding, the schools cannot function - not to mention the lawsuits that will be filed against the state, districts , etc.

There was a district back in the day that initially refused the AIDS curriculum, thinking it too agendized and wasting time that could be better spent teaching different content. The state threatened the district, then the feds did. Basically, about 40% of the district's funding would be pulled, including most of its special ed funding, which in turn would get the district sued.

Guess what - AIDS curriculum was installed post haste and the superintendent who was willing to question its legitimacy was not given a new contract.

These examples are legion in our public schools, and ultimately, the students suffer the most from it...

92% of immigrants got the answer correct.

Very bad.

is this legal immigrants? if so that makes perfect sense and is something I realized long ago. Immigrants into any "group" generally know more than the people defaulted in. Examples being if your parents are catholic and have you baptized young, then you get all the benefits of it, while possibly never learning the teachings. On the other hand, if you convert later in life you must take classes, pass tests, etc showing you are devoted and truly learned the stuff.
It is the same for people born in the country vs immigrants who must study for the immigration test.

Forum List

Back