73% Wrong...gadzooks .

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Yup..up to 73% believe the country is moving in the wrong direction, that's not overly promising...:lol:

I blame myself....:(

--------

Twenty-seven percent (27%) of Likely U.S. Voters say the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey taken the week ending Sunday, August 4.

That’s just a point higher than the previous two weeks' finding of 26% which marked the lowest level of confidence since mid-January 2012. Confidence in the country's direction rose steadily last fall, peaking at a high of 43% the week just before Election Day. It's been gradually decreasing ever since.

Right Direction or Wrong Track - Rasmussen Reports?

We can acknowledge that we have a culture in fairly rapid decay and try to do something about it, or we can just continue to deny/ignore it.

And by the way, the party affiliation of any given politician at any given moment is not the only place to look.

We can acknowledge that we have a culture in fairly rapid decay and try to do something about it, or we can just continue to deny/ignore it.

And by the way, the party affiliation of any given politician at any given moment is not the only place to look.

It is true, although, Democrats do control 66.6 % of Federal power plus the bully pulpit.

What would you fix or at least what do you think is the primary cause?

It is true, although, Democrats do control 66.6 % of Federal power plus the bully pulpit.

The decay started decades ago and has continued through presidencies and congresses of various stripes.

Well, just my opinion here, and I won't be surprised if I get shit for it: We've become a terribly narcissistic culture, and that narcissism manifests in several ways.

One is in our conspicuous consumption, feeling like we have to have -- even deserve -- the latest and greatest and biggest goodies, even if we have to borrow or borrow too much to get them. We've somehow conflated "stuff we have" with our value as people and with our level of happiness. Then, after we've borrowed and borrowed and inflated our budgets, we complain that it takes multiple incomes to make ends meet. And obviously, this has spread to our various government entities.

Second is this craving we have to be noticed. We now have myriad "celebrities" who are merely famous for being famous, not because they actually did something of value. "Reality TV" is a massive symptom of this, as are YouTube and Facebook. We have over-inflated our self-worth based on essentially nothing, and that leads to even more narcissism and entitlement-based thinking. Part of this is continuing lowered standards, where we're satisfied with less and less to "impress" us. And of course, another symptom is that we scream that we're "offended" at this and "offended" at that, while demanding some sort of retribution in payment for the damage supposedly done to our dainty (and narcisstic) sensibilities, as if we somehow deserve it.

Third is the way so many have convinced themselves that their opinion, and only their opinion, is what matters, particularly on political issues. We all have to be 100% right, 100% of the time, and mature, civil, humble discourse and cooperation are now viewed as abject capitulation and a glaring sign of weakness that must be attacked. Everyone is screaming so that they can be heard, so that they can "win" (as if there were some kind of objective measure for that), very few are trying to actually accomplish anything.

I'm saying "we", by the way.

How do we fix it? First off, I don't see it being fixed, I think the die is cast. But it would take a concerted, ongoing effort by multiple "leaders", from politics and the clergy and popular culture, all saying the same things, all living by example, all showing a little humility. And that's precisely why I don't think it will happen.

Meh. Just my two cents, worth every penny.

Last edited:

The decay started decades ago and has continued through presidencies and congresses of various stripes.

True, it started with the worse president in my memory, William Jefferson Clinton. He sullied the Office like no other before him. I think people can understand, a little, presidents doing things they don't like. But to go on national TV and shake his finger in our collective faces and lie his ass off, disgraceful. Then we have the "free" trade agreements that stuck a knife in the back of the working folks like nothing before. What is happening now was predicted it should be no surprise. It does not matter if the Republicans supported the treaties they would not have passed without a democrat pushing for them harder then they push for anything else in the past.

Last edited:

Well, just my opinion here, and I won't be surprised if I get shit for it: We've become a terribly narcissistic culture, and that narcissism manifests in several ways.

One is in our conspicuous consumption, feeling like we have to have -- even deserve -- the latest and greatest and biggest goodies, even if we have to borrow or borrow too much to get them. We've somehow conflated "stuff we have" with our value as people and with our level of happiness. Then, after we've borrowed and borrowed and inflated our budgets, we complain that it takes multiple incomes to make ends meet. And obviously, this has spread to our various government entities.

Of course, in my opinion, people want nice things. Maybe it is because we don't have to work the field no more and have more free time. That said, how do you fix this? What in society has to change? I can think of ONE way but we are moving away from that towards our demise, in my opinion. But what is yours, how do we fix this problem, if it is a problem?

Second is this craving we have to be noticed. We now have myriad "celebrities" who are merely famous for being famous, not because they actually did something of value. "Reality TV" is a massive symptom of this, as are YouTube and Facebook. We have over-inflated our self-worth based on essentially nothing, and that leads to even more narcissism and entitlement-based thinking. Part of this is continuing lowered standards, where we're satisfied with less and less to "impress" us. And of course, another symptom is that we scream that we're "offended" at this and "offended" at that, while demanding some sort of retribution in return for the damage supposedly done to our dainty (and narcisstic) sensibilities, as if we somehow deserve it.

Again, in my opinion, this is a so what? The problem with this "celebrity worship" is that the Kardashians are not the people one needs to view to get their moral fiber. Again, what would you do to fix this problem, if it is indeed a problem?

Third is the way so many have convinced themselves that their opinion, and only their opinion, is what matters, particularly on political issues. We all have to be 100% right, 100% of the time, and mature, civil, humble discourse and cooperation are now viewed as abject capitulation and a glaring sign of weakness that must be attacked. Everyone is screaming so that they can be heard, so that they can "win" (as if there were some kind of objective measure for that), very few are trying to actually accomplish anything.

Perhaps but I think this has been going on since time eternal, that is why we have wars. So, how does one fix this problem?

How do we fix it? First off, I don't see it being fixed, I think the die is cast. But it would take a concerted, ongoing effort by multiple "leaders", from politics and the clergy and popular culture, all saying the same things, all living by example, all showing a little humility. And that's precisely why I don't think it will happen.

I kept asking how you change specifics without reading this last paragraph to which I agree. We are moving away from precisely the cure you suggest. The clergy are made out to be pedophiles by the MSM and the liberal left. The liberal left characterize the male figure in a family as being idiot dolts. "Father Knows Best" would never make it today.

In my opinion the liberal left is tearing down the very fabric of our society. Communities have been tried that have excluded religion. They didn't work because religion is the cement that holds together people. Hubbard knew that so he invented one, a very successful one at that.

I think it starts with the top and the POTUS. Believe it or not I really want to like Obama. It is hard to not admire anyone who has done what he has done. Unfortunately there are two sides to the coin. He does not instill in my that he believes in America as did Reagan or even Bush(s). In my opinion, he needs to quit being a democrat/liberal and start being an American. We need a president that is a leader not a campaigner.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
True, it started with the worse president in my memory, William Jefferson Clinton. He sullied the Office like no other before him. I think people can understand, a little, presidents doing things they don't like. But to go on national TV and shake his finger in our collective faces and lie his ass off, disgraceful.
That lie wasn't as bad as telling us "Iraq had WMD's". That lie cost us over 4000 American lives, over 1 million Iraqi lives, over 1 trillion US taxpayer dollars, our reputation around the world and turned the principles this nation was founded upon, into a myth. And WTF did we get in return for all the sacrifices we made after we were told that lie? Nothing. Fuckin' nothing! We didn't get jack shit for all the cash we shelled out.

At least under Clinton, we had 8 straight years of economic growth.

Then we have the "free" trade agreements that stuck a knife in the back of the working folks like nothing before. What is happening now was predicted it should be no surprise. It does not matter if the Republicans supported the treaties they would not have passed without a democrat pushing for them harder then they push for anything else in the past.
Well, it was republican's that pushed through the Patriot and Military Commission's Acts which basically made the Bill of Rights null and void. And why even bring up the subject of treatys anyway? You don't honor them. You don't give a shit about treatys when you illegally attack sovereign nations. So why bring it up?

Of course, in my opinion, people want nice things. Maybe it is because we don't have to work the field no more and have more free time. That said, how do you fix this? What in society has to change? I can think of ONE way but we are moving away from that towards our demise, in my opinion. But what is yours, how do we fix this problem, if it is a problem?

Second is this craving we have to be noticed. We now have myriad "celebrities" who are merely famous for being famous, not because they actually did something of value. "Reality TV" is a massive symptom of this, as are YouTube and Facebook. We have over-inflated our self-worth based on essentially nothing, and that leads to even more narcissism and entitlement-based thinking. Part of this is continuing lowered standards, where we're satisfied with less and less to "impress" us. And of course, another symptom is that we scream that we're "offended" at this and "offended" at that, while demanding some sort of retribution in return for the damage supposedly done to our dainty (and narcisstic) sensibilities, as if we somehow deserve it.

Again, in my opinion, this is a so what? The problem with this "celebrity worship" is that the Kardashians are not the people one needs to view to get their moral fiber. Again, what would you do to fix this problem, if it is indeed a problem?

Perhaps but I think this has been going on since time eternal, that is why we have wars. So, how does one fix this problem?

I kept asking how you change specifics without reading this last paragraph to which I agree. We are moving away from precisely the cure you suggest. The clergy are made out to be pedophiles by the MSM and the liberal left. The liberal left characterize the male figure in a family as being idiot dolts. "Father Knows Best" would never make it today.

In my opinion the liberal left is tearing down the very fabric of our society. Communities have been tried that have excluded religion. They didn't work because religion is the cement that holds together people. Hubbard knew that so he invented one, a very successful one at that.

I think it starts with the top and the POTUS. Believe it or not I really want to like Obama. It is hard to not admire anyone who has done what he has done. Unfortunately there are two sides to the coin. He does not instill in my that he believes in America as did Reagan or even Bush(s). In my opinion, he needs to quit being a democrat/liberal and start being an American. We need a president that is a leader not a campaigner.

Just my two cents.

With all due respect, FW, but you missed Mac's point entirely. We the People need to work together to fix our problems. As long as you remain fixated on "blaming the left" nothing is going to be remedied. Mac was 100% right when he said that this has been happening throughout both left and right administrations. It is time to stop the "blame game" and put aside our differences and work together to make American great once again. Anyone who doesn't get that this is the only way it is ever going to be resolved in part of the problem rather than the solution in my humble opinion.

True, it started with the worse president in my memory, William Jefferson Clinton. He sullied the Office like no other before him. I think people can understand, a little, presidents doing things they don't like. But to go on national TV and shake his finger in our collective faces and lie his ass off, disgraceful. Then we have the "free" trade agreements that stuck a knife in the back of the working folks like nothing before. What is happening now was predicted it should be no surprise. It does not matter if the Republicans supported the treaties they would not have passed without a democrat pushing for them harder then they push for anything else in the past.

And now Clinton looks like George Washington, compared to GWB and Obama..

Twitter.

Yup..up to 73% believe the country is moving in the wrong direction, that's not overly promising...:lol:

I find it shocking that 27% of the people think this is the right direction.

:doubt:

Really. I thought it would be more, considering all the freeloaders. But the numbers show that Obama is heading down fast, according to the RCP poll.

Obama now at lowest level ever:

The spread is 6.2% from disapproval's to approvals. An astoundingly high 53% who disapprove of Obama's performance to 44.1% who approve.

RCP has numbers ranging from +3 to -15. Very strange to get such huge disparities.

You really cannot appreciate the gap unless you see the graph at this link. Only one single polling firm has Obama in the black, CBS at above 3%. The lowest is Monmouth with a full 13% gap, Disapproves at 54%, Approves at 41%.

All of which has enormous consequences for legislation in the coming months, immigration, health care, energy issues, ect...

Of special note, in the last few days, there have been nationwide rallies to Impeach Obama, mostly at overpasses in at least 22 states. The rallies were small, typically 4 to 8 sign holders. However, potentially hundreds of thousands of people saw those signs.

Libertarian Republican

Last edited:

--------

Twenty-seven percent (27%) of Likely U.S. Voters say the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey taken the week ending Sunday, August 4.

That’s just a point higher than the previous two weeks' finding of 26% which marked the lowest level of confidence since mid-January 2012. Confidence in the country's direction rose steadily last fall, peaking at a high of 43% the week just before Election Day. It's been gradually decreasing ever since.

Not really surprising. I think it is rather obvious that were not heading in the right direction.

--------

Indeed...we let this happen. Complacency is dangerous. We see the result.

Very true. What we have to do is change the mentality that every problem, big or small, must be solved by government, and must be solved right now.

Eight thousand Hollyweirds tweet their every lib sermon thought on every issue and every made up issue that floats thru their feeble ego minds and a zillion following sheeple think God has spoken and tweet back to ask how high they should jump. Twitter election massacre.

Hollyweird on politics with access to the masses.

Twitter. Aka the Borg.

Second is this craving we have to be noticed. We now have myriad "celebrities" who are merely famous for being famous, not because they actually did something of value. "Reality TV" is a massive symptom of this, as are YouTube and Facebook. We have over-inflated our self-worth based on essentially nothing, and that leads to even more narcissism and entitlement-based thinking. Part of this is continuing lowered standards, where we're satisfied with less and less to "impress" us. And of course, another symptom is that we scream that we're "offended" at this and "offended" at that, while demanding some sort of retribution in payment for the damage supposedly done to our dainty (and narcisstic) sensibilities, as if we somehow deserve it.

Just my two cents.

With all due respect, FW, but you missed Mac's point entirely. We the People need to work together to fix our problems. As long as you remain fixated on "blaming the left" nothing is going to be remedied. Mac was 100% right when he said that this has been happening throughout both left and right administrations. It is time to stop the "blame game" and put aside our differences and work together to make American great once again. Anyone who doesn't get that this is the only way it is ever going to be resolved in part of the problem rather than the solution in my humble opinion.

I don't believe I missed the point at all. Mac and yourself want to blame everyone but I didn't see anything definite as a reason as to why you both feel the country is in demise, just that we are too selfish. Yet we are still the most charitable counties in the world.

I offer that reason and the alternative. We are being systematically torn down. The moral backbone of the country is being removed. One religion, Islam, no matter how perverse their behavior is forgiven by the left because Islam is in direct contention with Christianity which the liberal left vilifies. Black and white division is bigger then ever even though a black president could not have won just with the black vote. The poor are hurting for what? For jobs that is what. Clinton sent them overseas as was predicted and now the liberal left wants the rest of the low skill jobs given to what used to be illegals but are now just potential democrat voters.

What I think is a big part of at least making the country fell good again is strong leadership. A country that does not vilify that which is good so they can get whatever they want. There is absolutely no reason ONE person should be able to impose their will on the vast majority of the people JUST because they are one person. An example is the display of the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments are a fundamental part of the three major religions of the world. The VAST over whelming majority of people either hold to at least the principle of the commandments or don't care. But a few wishing to impose their views on everyone else gets their display banned from public life. There is a reason and it ain't because there is something dangerous in posting the Ten Commandments.

So until you an Mac come up with something other then Kum By Ya will solve the problem or that it is just the American people are assholes I think I'll still with pointing the finger at the people responsible.

Forum List

Back