700 Teachers Leaving Omaha Schools

I'll tell you why! Teachers do not get to select their students. Let my select my students and every one would receive a full ride to Harvard. Give me classes where I am the only person in the classroom that speaks English as a primary language. With those you get what you can. You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit, and have to taste wonderful, can you?
Lots of students who are non-native English speakers go to Ivy League schools too.

I take it these are the DECENT teachers that aren't going to put up with the goobements bullshit anymore, or all this Woke shit either. Good for them. Sad for the kids.

This gets even worse, because the school districts will hire anybody that applies. Which means easy walk-in jobs for all those psychotically deranged, morally bankrupt, SJW's, "transies", and pedophiles. In other words, Bidens dream team.

That begs a question. Why, in 2022, in arguably the richest, most successful country in the world, is teaching a high stress job? Regarding 'recognition', don't teachers have internal self-congratulatory/recognition award programs. In my city one is called the "Teacher of the Year" award.

From my public school experience as a parent in California -- the schools treat the students like prisoners and the teachers like wardens. When you remove all emphasis on discipline and safety AND academic excellence -- what are the minds in those seats DOING in their chairs. They stripped out LOCKERS (because they were hard to search). Made backpacks stay in the hallways -- kids couldn't be trusted and installed all kinds of "color bans" on clothes and other useless things.

They wont REPORT crimes or violence to the police (unless maybe you're NOT a minority student). But they will EXPEL your kid for playing tag on the playground or biting a piece of toast ibto the shape of gun.

You can't make academics bloom in conditions like that.

It's high stress because kids dont get "held back" anymore and yet the teachers are reviewed by the progress they make in academic performance. So the LAG in education proficiency just INCREASES and follows each kid thru 12 years. And the budgets are so scripted that schools have all the room they want for fancy gimmicky stuff, but the teachers end up buying their own supplies.

Lots of students who are non-native English speakers go to Ivy League schools too.

They drag out that process over the kids' WHOLE 12 YEARS in states like California. Because NEW non-English kids are always coming up.. They DONT do "language immersion" and FIX anything. They continue bifurcated paths thru High School in ALL classes including science and math. Teachers' Unions would not get rid of those 10s of thousands of ESL teachers who weren't just teaching ENGLISH -- but math, history, health, science, everything and anything in Cali.

Meanwhile the wealthy people put their English speaking kids into private language immersion schools because they are "cool" and trendy.

They drag out that process over the kids' WHOLE 12 YEARS in states like California. Because NEW non-English kids are always coming up.. They DONT do "language immersion" and FIX anything. They continue bifurcated paths thru High School in ALL classes including science and math. Teachers' Unions would not get rid of those 10s of thousands of ESL teachers who weren't just teaching ENGLISH -- but math, history, health, science, everything and anything in Cali.

Meanwhile the wealthy people put their English speaking kids into private language immersion schools because they are "cool" and trendy.
I don't know about CA, but here all subject-area teachers are required to be SEI certified. Non-native English speaking students will take one dedicated ESL class, but will take Math, History, Science, etc. in the same classes as native speakers.

From my public school experience as a parent in California -- the schools treat the students like prisoners and the teachers like wardens. When you remove all emphasis on discipline and safety AND academic excellence -- what are the minds in those seats DOING in their chairs. They stripped out LOCKERS (because they were hard to search). Made backpacks stay in the hallways -- kids couldn't be trusted and installed all kinds of "color bans" on clothes and other useless things.

They wont REPORT crimes or violence to the police (unless maybe you're NOT a minority student). But they will EXPEL your kid for playing tag on the playground or biting a piece of toast ibto the shape of gun.

It's high stress because kids dont get "held back" anymore and yet the teachers are reviewed by the progress they make in academic performance. So the LAG in education proficiency just INCREASES and follows each kid thru 12 years. And the budgets are so scripted that schools have all the room they want for fancy gimmicky stuff, but the teachers end up buying their own supplies.
For starters we need,

Separate schools for boys and girls.
Uniform dress codes.

That's California. None of that happens in most of the country.

I don't know about CA, but here all subject-area teachers are required to be SEI certified. Non-native English speaking students will take one dedicated ESL class, but will take Math, History, Science, etc. in the same classes as native speakers.

Not the case where the teachers' union are more powerful than the Superintendant/Schoolboards. Or where one party govt just prefers to rewards the teachers' unions with 20% or more job positions.

One of the prime reasons I left Cali. They were threatening to cut Honors/AP classes but had ZERO ISSUE with 20% more teachers to teach everything in Spanish for 12 years.

Seems to me there are plenty of states listed here that provide bilingual instruction in regular coursework. It's a jumble of stuff. See Delaware/Michigan/Florida for example.

Maryland has some kind of "local school choice" to FIX THIS?? It's a problem dude.

You need to learn to read the post to which you are responding. There is nothing in my post about bilingual instruction. Neither did you post!

Not the case where the teachers' union are more powerful than the Superintendant/Schoolboards. Or where one party govt just prefers to rewards the teachers' unions with 20% or more job positions.

I am in one of the bluest of blue states.

Your son is a lucky exception.

Vacation time increases with length of employment. Many switch jobs and therefore must start over regarding vacation time.

initforme is an a very old codger. His son probably had been on Social Security for a decade or two. He thinks everywhere has the cost-of-living in all parts of the US like his California digs. He is very wise and learned on many topics I am certain. Work isnot one of them considering he retired when I was in my 30s.

......They were threatening to cut Honors/AP classes but had ZERO ISSUE with 20% more teachers to teach everything in Spanish for 12 years.
Got a link to one public school teaching everything in Spanish?

Got my wires crossed with another poster. sorry.

But you DID deny that lack of disciplinary leeway and holding kids back a grade was JUST a California thing. That's certainly NOT the case.

No one wants discipline anymore. And that's fine. I just wonder what parents might say when schools are on a three-day-a-week teaching schedule because that's the only way they can retain teachers.

I thought of this today after reading the Pollyanna teachers talk about how if you just "love on students" (I cannot express how much I loathe the expression "love on"....ew) and "build relationships" with them that's all the discipline you need. Oh sure. Let's do that in real life. You speed through a red light, drunk, the cop comes to your house to "love on you" and "build relationships".

I know teachers are not cops and yes, we certainly can have healthy and productive relationships with our students. But in too many cases all notion of healthy respect is gone. Some kids--there's nothing wrong with them, they just need to know where the boundaries are. If you go round "building relationships" with them they have your number. We see this all over the adult world and kids are no different. Assume the best but structure and order your expectations clearly. "This far--no more."

But of course that's too much common sense for the 21st century.

No one wants discipline anymore. And that's fine. I just wonder what parents might say when schools are on a three-day-a-week teaching schedule because that's the only way they can retain teachers.

I thought of this today after reading the Pollyanna teachers talk about how if you just "love on students" (I cannot express how much I loathe the expression "love on"....ew) and "build relationships" with them that's all the discipline you need. Oh sure. Let's do that in real life. You speed through a red light, drunk, the cop comes to your house to "love on you" and "build relationships".

I know teachers are not cops and yes, we certainly can have healthy and productive relationships with our students. But in too many cases all notion of healthy respect is gone. Some kids--there's nothing wrong with them, they just need to know where the boundaries are. If you go round "building relationships" with them they have your number. We see this all over the adult world and kids are no different. Assume the best but structure and order your expectations clearly. "This far--no more."

But of course that's too much common sense for the 21st century.
True. The first response a kid has to a friendly teacher is "what can I get away with?" In my day teachers were disciplinarians, not child
psychologists.

Forum List

Back