7 inches of snow and still coming down

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
NC mountains...near the Tn border...heavy wet snow....electric is blinking on and off but so far is coming back...we have 7 inches and its still coming down pretty heavy....

We have nudged forecast accumulations up one more time... now expecting 5"-10" (isolated higher amounts) east and 3"-7" west. (See the discussion section for details on what we mean by east/west today.) Snow began in earnest about noon after a .5" to 1" appetizer along the Blue Ridge this morning. As of 4 PM, I have 7" at our house (near the Blue Ridge east of Boone) and have many reports of over 4" including Beech Mtn. Snow has been falling at a rate of 1.5"+ per hour now for 3 hours and will continue through the evening hours. Accumulating snow will be over by midnight. Winds will increase as the upper-level low gets closer this afternoon and tonight. Temperatures tonight and Monday will be bitterly cold. In contrast, much milder weather is coming for the 2nd half of this

Ray's Weather Center - Banner Elk - averyweather.com

I'm gonna go get in the auto, turn on the 4WD and drive around.
It's snow, not dirt and mud.

I love driving in the snow. The danger is the other idiot that doesn't know how to.

That's me too YWN ... usually ...

I just spun out on some black ice and crashed my car on my way into work.

People are crashing all over route 93 in and out of Boston.

Newport News, Hampton Roads, and Gloucester Va will all shut down tomorrow because we have ONE inch of snow on the ground. LOL

I love driving in the snow. The danger is the other idiot that doesn't know how to.

Funny, here in the south, the danger is often some yankee that thinks he knows how to. Most of the hicks accept that they don't know how to and stay home.
They do make a run on the grocery stores at the first news of inclement weather though. For some odd reason they all buy milk, bread and eggs.
Makes me wonder if they all plan on making french toast.

7" of snow is threadworthy? Sheesh! What would you people do if you got 7-8" of snow a day for 3-4 days in a row?

Welcome to WI. :D (Tho I think the worst is over now)

Funny, here in the south, the danger is often some yankee that thinks he knows how to. Most of the hicks accept that they don't know how to and stay home.
They do make a run on the grocery stores at the first news of inclement weather though. For some odd reason they all buy milk, bread and eggs.
OMG :lol::lol::lol:

I drove in white out conditions (Montana) for 400 miles, dark out, and on a two lane back roads at 10 mph! Talk about white knuckle driving. It was like driving on dry ice and hydroplaning the entire way! Seriously scary. When I pulled up to our driveway, I turned to my two boys, husband and said. "I never want to hear another backseat driver comment again from any of you, for you are all home alive"

LOL

Dang power keeps flickering here too.

Last edited:
I drove in white out conditions (Montana) for 400 miles, dark out, and on a two lane back roads at 10 mph! Talk about white knuckle driving. It was like driving on dry ice and hydroplaning the entire way! Seriously scary. When I pulled up to our driveway, I turned to my two boys, husband and said. "I never want to hear another backseat driver comment again from any of you, for you are all home alive"

LOL

Yer husband let you drive?
What, was he to embarrassed to ask directions to the drivers seat?

LOL

Yer husband let you drive?
What, was he to embarrassed to ask directions to the drivers seat?
No we went to a social gathering and he had too much to drink.

well now we have over a foot of snow....sorry about the car article...yes, 7 inches of snow in a drought stricken area is great for us....12 inches of snow is even better....

it just occurred to me...this is deep enough snow to make my car bottom out.....that is the one major flaw with subarus..they will bottom out in deep snow

Us yankees have more experience driving in the snow than you folks do. We DO know how to drive in the snow.

Last edited:
We have over a foot already and are expecting another 8-10 hours of snowfall

Forum List

Back