7 homeschool kids 'stolen' by sheriff's deputies

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
Seven homeschooled children in an Arkansas family have been taken into custody by deputies after authorities reported they found in their home a mineral supplement that was not approved by the federal government.

According to Health Impact News, the product, called MMS, can be purchased online and used to purify water. The family said the water was used on the garden.

The report said the product “has been used in Africa by the Red Cross to treat malaria,” but its presence in the home of the Christian family – the father is a pastor – was reported by an anonymous caller. Deputies responded by asking the parents to step outside into the cold winter air and answer questions. They were then served with a search warrant, and the house was searched for five hours with the children inside.

Friends launched an immediate social media campaign, including a BringTheStanleyKidsHome page on Facebook and a GoFundMe page, to help Hal and Michelle Stanley organize a legal defense and obtain the children’s release from state custody.

Health Impact News released a copy of an email composed by Michelle Stanley after the raid.

“The DHS has come and stolen our kids from us under the guise of ‘protecting our children,’” she wrote.

She said the dispute started a month earlier when an anonymous caller complained about the family allowing the children to be barefoot.

When an investigator arrived, “We showed her some of the ’200 and something’ pair of shoes and told her (actually the kids told her) how it was their preference to go barefoot and that it was like a tradition to briefly run out in the snow barefoot and take a picture of the footprints.”

Then weeks later, “several people showed up at our door, all obviously here for the investigation and we welcomed them in.”

7 homeschool kids 8216 stolen 8217 by sheriff 8217 s deputies

Another example of a family being attacked by the officials because of some stupid reason.

Oh, I like this situation: running barefoot in the snow for fun is dangerous as hell, as well as having detergents at home (of course it means children are going to eat or drink this stuff, that’s what children always do), so we need to separate kids from their parents.

And I also like the rat-caller. His rights and anonymity are well-protected while parents are helpless and deprived of rights, including being in their own house during the search. Lovely, isn’t it?

Looks like having children in our country becomes a challenge. You never know when you will have to fight the government to have them.

I am not surprised, they found out I was homeschooling my 4 year old and tried to make up a reason to take him...I had his mother flee to another state to protect him...This happened in 2005&6...

You have to be careful with World Nut Daily. It sounds like the issue is they fear the parents are poisoning the kids with sodium chlorite, not the home schooling or their religious faith. It is used but is deadly if you don't know what you're doing. Why use it at all if its' a potential health hazard? Clearly much more to this than the lopsided account.

Seven homeschooled children in an Arkansas family have been taken into custody by deputies after authorities reported they found in their home a mineral supplement that was not approved by the federal government.

According to Health Impact News, the product, called MMS, can be purchased online and used to purify water. The family said the water was used on the garden.

The report said the product “has been used in Africa by the Red Cross to treat malaria,” but its presence in the home of the Christian family – the father is a pastor – was reported by an anonymous caller. Deputies responded by asking the parents to step outside into the cold winter air and answer questions. They were then served with a search warrant, and the house was searched for five hours with the children inside.

Friends launched an immediate social media campaign, including a BringTheStanleyKidsHome page on Facebook and a GoFundMe page, to help Hal and Michelle Stanley organize a legal defense and obtain the children’s release from state custody.

Health Impact News released a copy of an email composed by Michelle Stanley after the raid.

“The DHS has come and stolen our kids from us under the guise of ‘protecting our children,’” she wrote.

She said the dispute started a month earlier when an anonymous caller complained about the family allowing the children to be barefoot.

When an investigator arrived, “We showed her some of the ’200 and something’ pair of shoes and told her (actually the kids told her) how it was their preference to go barefoot and that it was like a tradition to briefly run out in the snow barefoot and take a picture of the footprints.”

Then weeks later, “several people showed up at our door, all obviously here for the investigation and we welcomed them in.”

Another example of a family being attacked by the officials because of some stupid reason.

Oh, I like this situation: running barefoot in the snow for fun is dangerous as hell, as well as having detergents at home (of course it means children are going to eat or drink this stuff, that’s what children always do), so we need to separate kids from their parents.

And I also like the rat-caller. His rights and anonymity are well-protected while parents are helpless and deprived of rights, including being in their own house during the search. Lovely, isn’t it?

Looks like having children in our country becomes a challenge. You never know when you will have to fight the government to have them.
If someone makes a report about the safety of children, it has to be investigated. If it wasn't, and some child died or was severely injured or truly mistreated in some way, you'd be attacking the government for not protecting them. This is the kind of thing where the public seem to always be complaining that the government is at fault. Whatever they do, you find fault with it. They can't win.

Be honest: before the complaint, the government was not bothering these people, right?

If someone makes a report about the safety of children, it has to be investigated. If it wasn't, and some child died or was severely injured or truly mistreated in some way, you'd be attacking the government for not protecting them. This is the kind of thing where the public seem to always be complaining that the government is at fault. Whatever they do, you find fault with it. They can't win.

Be honest: before the complaint, the government was not bothering these people, right?

I don't deny the fact that officials need to protect children. There are plenty of examples proving the effectiveness of that system.
But often the people who are in charge of conducting checks or whatever behave like all the parents are convicted criminals. Where's the respect? Where are the rights of the parents being treated? Or if it's child's protection then no adults have any rights?
And just look at the situation. The complaint, the initial POTENTIAL problem doesn't correlate with the reaction that followed. That is what outrages me.

But often the people who are in charge of conducting checks or whatever behave like all the parents are convicted criminals. Where's the respect? Where are the rights of the parents being treated? Or if it's child's protection then no adults have any rights?
And just look at the situation. The complaint, the initial POTENTIAL problem doesn't correlate with the reaction that followed. That is what outrages me.
Only one side of the story was told so it's always wise to at least hear the other side. Some of the pastor/dad/prepper's comments are strange. He swears he doesn't give MMS, some miracle cure, to his children and only uses it for garden water, the garden being their primary food source. If you can't see how stupid that is I feel for you.

Earlier media reports claimed that the search of the Stanley home by GCSO was only for MMS, but Sheriff Mike McCormick said in a statement on Tuesday that, “this is absolutely false.”

The Stanley's believe the investigation and “kidnapping” of their children is truly an attack on their Christian faith. The family doesn't own a television, they home-school their children and they believe in spanking. Hal Stanley believes some people think he and his family are fanatics, and his wife believes that some of their older children are playing along with the abuse and neglect claims.

“I'm not against DHS coming and removing kids when they're really in danger,” said Michelle Stanley. “But you've got two teenagers who wanted to go to public school, they've been fighting for it for a very long time, and I think that they just took advantage of them.”

Garland County parents fight for their seven children in court W - KATV - Breaking News Weather and Razorback Sports

Forum List

Back