7 Gross Foods Your Grandparents Ate That We Taste Tested

I didn't know my grandparents...all of them were deceased before I was born. But my mom loved saurkraut (ewww) and my dad loved hunting dove and cooking them. I tried to save them if they were still alive and I refused to eat any anyway.

Both loved spinach..which makes me barf even if I smell it.

What happens when you just look at it?

:biggrin:

Creamed-Spinach-1024x768.jpg

I remember an old Charlie Chaplin movie where he and his partner in Alaska boiled a shoe and ate it. I'll bet the tongue was tender.

Jeez, they could have at least fried it. Everything tastes better fried. Lol!

Its is the ONLY WAY to eat catfish, so it must be true.

KS_WelsCatfish.jpg

Believe it or not, I've never had catfish before. I've heard it's very good though. I think it's a lot more popular down south. Here in New England, we eat mostly ocean fish. I'd love to try it sometime though.

I remember an old Charlie Chaplin movie where he and his partner in Alaska boiled a shoe and ate it. I'll bet the tongue was tender.

KS_WelsCatfish.jpg

Believe it or not, I've never had catfish before. I've heard it's very good though. I think it's a lot more popular down south. Here in New England, we eat mostly ocean fish. I'd love to try it sometime though.

I cannot begin to imagine why anyone would eat a catfish if you had an alternative.

It is a VERY GREASY FISH, so frying it actually MASKS this horrid characteristic.

I once tried to grill catfish....it was like grilling a piece of rubber...a tire.....thick black smoke; yellow drippings into the flames....OH MY GAWD!

ewww. ewww. ewwww.

Friends have made dishes with spinach in it...like lasagna...and I could SMELL it. Refused to eat it. I just can't eat it. It's GROSS.

KS_WelsCatfish.jpg

Catfish is pretty good fried. However, flounder or tilapia are better IMO.

I'll also eat spinach raw as a side dish sometimes. lol

KS_WelsCatfish.jpg

I cannot begin to imagine why anyone would eat a catfish if you had an alternative.

It is a VERY GREASY FISH, so frying it actually MASKS this horrid characteristic.

I once tried to grill catfish....it was like grilling a piece of rubber...a tire.....thick black smoke; yellow drippings into the flames....OH MY GAWD!

Lol! Interesting, because I've heard that it was good before. If what you say is true, I probably wouldn't like it. I really only like the delicate white flaky kind of fish, like flounder or cod. Most shellfish is delicious though!

I prefer mine without the gelatin though. :smile:

KS_WelsCatfish.jpg

Catfish is pretty good fried. However, flounder or tilapia are better IMO.

I'll also eat spinach raw as a side dish sometimes. lol

Well, when it's raw, it's kind of like eating leaves, so a lot of people might even prefer that way, in a salad or something.

I've had tilapia before (which is actually a fresh water fish, I believe), because it's relatively inexpensive, and I didn't think it was bad. I drizzled it with melted butter and put cracker crumbs on it, bake it and squeeze some lemon juice on it at the end. I liked it. :smile:

ewww. ewww. ewwww.

Friends have made dishes with spinach in it...like lasagna...and I could SMELL it. Refused to eat it. I just can't eat it. It's GROSS.
Can't be as gross as a woman neighbor of mine in her 60's. She picks her nose and eats it. Now that's gross.

Well, when it's raw, it's kind of like eating leaves, so a lot of people might even prefer that way, in a salad or something.

I've had tilapia before (which is actually a fresh water fish, I believe), because it's relatively inexpensive, and I didn't think it was bad. I drizzled it with melted butter and put cracker crumbs on it, bake it and squeeze some lemon juice on it at the end. I liked it. :smile:

It's really crunchy, and it doesn't require any preparation whatsoever if you get the right kind.

Sounds like a winner in my book. :D

I tend to go pretty heavy on the tartar sauce myself where fish is concerned. lol

Tripe, when ripe....

Pickled onions.....

Pickled eggs.....

But NOTHING touched the Chinese take-out shop's "Hundred Year Old Eggs".

No point in changing your underwear until the third day after feasting.

ewww. just....ewww. My kids never picked or flicked or licked. Not that I ever saw, anyway. Well, ONE did play in his poopy diaper and smear it all over his crib one day. He must have woken up in the wee hours and instead of crying for milk, he decided to play. Ack!

Forum List

Back