69 years ago today

On Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in warfare, was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Approx. 40,000 people died in Hiroshima that day, with as many as 60,000 more dying over the next year from injuries, disease, radiation etc. Three days later, another atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, with similar casualties.

Analysts estimate that the abrupt end of the war caused by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, saved approx. 500,000 American casualties, and a million or more Japanese casualties, that would otherwise have occurred in the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands.
There would have been no need for an invasion.
Japan quit when the Russians joined the party.
Truman dropped the bomb to scare Stalin out of Korea.

Oh.

My daddy said he was glad he was not one to decide...........

On Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in warfare, was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Approx. 40,000 people died in Hiroshima that day, with as many as 60,000 more dying over the next year from injuries, disease, radiation etc. Three days later, another atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, with similar casualties.

Analysts estimate that the abrupt end of the war caused by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, saved approx. 500,000 American casualties, and a million or more Japanese casualties, that would otherwise have occurred in the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands.

Oh.
"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

"...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives.

"It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'.

"The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."

- Dwight Eisenhower, Mandate For Change, pg. 380"

"In a Newsweek interview, Eisenhower again recalled the meeting with Stimson:

"'...the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing.'"

Hiroshima: Quotes

Learn some history. Yamamoto was against war with the US from the gitgo. He had seen and understood the industrial might of the US.

"I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant.............."

And given him a terrible resolve.

Not so true today though.

If Pearl Harbor happened today America would be asking where it went so wrong so as to cause the well deserved punishment.
Sadly, you are not exaggerating a bit.

Oh.
"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

"...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives.

"It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'.

"'...the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing.'"

If the Japs were ready to surrender then why did we have to drop two bombs?

Horse hockey.

"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

Japan was putting out peace "feelers" saying they would only surrender if they were allowed to keep the warmongering Japanese generals in command of the armed forces, and the Emperor on the throne.

Such a proposal was completely unacceptable, since it would have left Japan in a position to start rebuilding its armed forces, with the same people who started the war, in charge to start another.

Japan's "peace feelers" would not have resulted in a lasting peace. So they were rejected, for good reason. Japan refused to entertain any other form of "peace"... until we started vaporizing their cities one by one with a new superweapon, in a way they were unable to stop or punish us for. Then they changed their mind.

Oh.
"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

Gaza George is beginning to sound like Tokyo Rose with his lying bullshit. Japanese would have fought to the last man.

"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

If the Japs were ready to surrender then why did we have to drop two bombs?
To send a message to the Soviet Union, I suspect.
The Soviets reached Korea before we did, stopping at the 38th parallel as per US request.
Truman may have wanted to ensure they didn't change their minds and push on to Seoul.
It's claimed that Truman's diary contains entries in the summer of '45 indicating the "Japs" were offering surrender with one condition: their Emperor be allowed to live.

"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

Gaza George is beginning to sound like Tokyo Rose with his lying bullshit. Japanese would have fought to the last man.
You know more than Ike:cuckoo:

Japan was a defeated country before the egg heads and the political idiots decided to use their new toy against humans. Japan was desperately trying to negotiate terms of surrender with Stalin when the high school graduate in the White House refused to talk. The major issue was the preservation of the Japanese Emperor but Truman insisted on unconditional surrender and ironically the Japanese Emperor was not prosecuted after we murdered most of the citizens in two Japanese cities.

"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

My father thought so, of course, unlike almost all posters he was there...

"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

Japan was putting out peace "feelers" saying they would only surrender if they were allowed to keep the warmongering Japanese generals in command of the armed forces, and the Emperor on the throne.

Such a proposal was completely unacceptable, since it would have left Japan in a position to start rebuilding its armed forces, with the same people who started the war, in charge to start another.

Japan's "peace feelers" would not have resulted in a lasting peace. So they were rejected, for good reason. Japan refused to entertain any other form of "peace"... until we started vaporizing their cities one by one with a new superweapon, in a way they were unable to stop or punish us for. Then they changed their mind.
Japan had a single condition for surrendering and MacArthur granted that one.
The bombs were dropped to scare Stalin.

"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

The military dictatorship was as cruel as the rest of the Axis; the Rape of Nanking isn't a myth. And it was not within MacArthur's authority to set conditions. Truman proved that when the poser was sacked.

My father did not like the "conditions" MacArthur set upon military targets.......some historians agree.....MacArthur's family had business interests which were off limits.

"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

It would be nice if you backed that up with sources other than your ass.

"DWIGHT EISENHOWER

Japan was defeated. It's navy no longer existed and it had no air defense. US bombers were killing civilians every day in daylight raids. Anybody who thinks that surrender negotiations would not have ended in a "lasting peace" is no better than the nut cases who decided to incinerate Japanese citizens so that MacArthur could become king.

Japan was defeated. It's navy no longer existed and it had no air defense. US bombers were killing civilians every day in daylight raids. Anybody who thinks that surrender negotiations would not have ended in a "lasting peace" is no better than the nut cases who decided to incinerate Japanese citizens so that MacArthur could become king.

Just as Hamas is defeated and more than willing to give up the fight.

69 is my favorite number.

On this day, sixty-nine years ago, LeMay and friends dropped a nuclear device on a city that it specifically saved from bombing so it could send hundreds of technical people in later to examine the blast effects and build better bombs.

Good shit huh?

As a former Marine, speaking on behalf of those Marines that died at Pearl Harbor, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and other battles across the Pacific for a war the Japs started...hey, " don't start none if you don't want none." Should of dropped 10 bombs on the sonsabitches.

Forum List

Back