66% of Child Torture Victims "Homeschooled"

War on Parents continue in liberal lala land.
I call some bullshit here... "some form of imprisonment"... without describing what "some form" actually is.
Is grounding a child to their room considered imprisonment in this study? Probably. But who knows?
That is the problem with these kind of studies. Unless you can see the study itself, and specifically what is the determinant factors - it is data that can easily be manipulated to produce a desired result.

Since they really don't visit homes of homes of homeschooling and small daycares (6 or less), I am against them all. Put your child into a decent daycare, a larger one not a 6 child one, and no one should homeschool their kids.
I am pro public schools , that is why we pay taxes. The gov. should not fund parochial schools nor private schools and states should not either.
Michigan court approves public funding for private school mandates
In my years of teaching, I can think offhand of three homeschooled students who were among the best and brightest I ever had.

Homeschooling can be awesome when it is done well.

Why were they homeschooled and are you a public teacher, and what were their parents like? The norm is religious zealots want them homeschooled.
One had parents who you would probably term "zealots" but they were actually very decent people who weren't out to change the world at all and raised highly successful, respectful and bright, motivated children. Another was living in a not so nice area of Boston and wanted her children to be safe; being a woman with a doctorate herself, she took on the job and did it spectacularly. The other parents I did not know. It was most likely for academic reasons; the public school was known for being one of the worst in the area, academically. If the child was being raised by religious zealots, he never let on.

I call some bullshit here... "some form of imprisonment"... without describing what "some form" actually is.
Is grounding a child to their room considered imprisonment in this study? Probably. But who knows?
That is the problem with these kind of studies. Unless you can see the study itself, and specifically what is the determinant factors - it is data that can easily be manipulated to produce a desired result.

Sure but I wouldn't expect that. I would say the stats are borne out in anecdotal stories from all over the nation which are also cited in the article. We're also seeing this in schools more and more. Again, it's not anywhere close to most homeschoolers--it's a minority and a slim one at that. But hey it's also a slim minority of public school teachers who are abusers and no one cares about that.

Sure but I wouldn't expect that. I would say the stats are borne out in anecdotal stories from all over the nation which are also cited in the article. We're also seeing this in schools more and more. Again, it's not anywhere close to most homeschoolers--it's a minority and a slim one at that. But hey it's also a slim minority of public school teachers who are abusers and no one cares about that.
Exactly.
We have all seen these "studies" typically paid for by an organization that is wanting a desired result.
I always look for the broad descriptions... as in this study "some form of punishment"... that could mean almost anything.

Sexual abuse of children is not limited to homeschooled children:

Prevalence of Educator Sexual Abuse When I talk about educator sexual abuse, one of the first questions parents (but not educators) ask is, “How widespread is this practice?” Parents want to know how much to worry about educator sexual abuse and where to place it on the list of evils that can harm children. Despite a number of national studies about child sexual abuse funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Justice, and the U.S. Department of Education, there are no national studies that document educator sexual abuse.1 It is curious to note that none of the federally funded studies of child sexual abuse provide data that could answer parents’ questions. In these studies, teachers are most often subsumed in the category “other” that includes any person who is not a parent or parent substitute. Since 49 percent of children are sexually abused by someone other than a parent or parent substitute, it seems sensible to know what types of “others” are sexually abusing children. Most knowledge of educator sexual abuse comes from newspaper reports, hardly a reliable sample. However, newspaper coverage does remind us that educator sexual abuse is a regular occurrence in all parts of the United States. Below is a sampling of stories that were published during just one month (February 2003) and which represent only those incidents that have come to the attention of school and law enforcement officials. • Henderson, NC: The Henderson County School Board agrees to pay $1.78 million to the families of 17 children who were alleged sexual victims of a former teacher assistant. • Augusta, WI: Family alleges sexual assault of 12-year-old boy by male teacher. • Ann Arbor, MI: Male high school teacher assaults female student. • Indiana: Former Baptist school principal to be sentenced for taking an 11-year-old female student across country to have sex with her. • Omaha, NE: Wrestling coach sentenced to 45 days in jail and required to apologize publicly to female student he assaulted. • Sarasota, FL: Former female high school assistant coach pleads no contest to unlawful sexual activity and committing a lewd and lascivious act with two students on her basketball and softball teams. • Westminster, CO: Male softball coach gets six years in prison for sexually assaulting seven girls on his softball team. • Amelia, OH: Former male high school administrative assistant gets 18-month sentence for having sex with female high school student. • Hackensack, NJ: 42-year-old female middle school teacher admits sexual intercourse with sixth grade male student. • Yonkers, NY: 50-year-old male Montessori teacher fondles 7-yearold student in bathroom. • Bullhead City, AZ: Male ELL teacher has sexual contact with 12- year-old female student. Teacher is a registered sex offender in Florida.
https://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/orsp_shakeshaft_spring03.pdf
Wherever human beings exist, there is considerable abuse of weaker persons. And when teachers start filling childrens' heads with correctional methods of families as being bad, those children who had as few as 3 spankings for bad behavior are at risk for never speaking to their parents in a civil manner again after the age of 18, when they leave home, hating parents for not letting them stay out until 5 am on prom night after condemning their parents for "everything," including inclusion in worship services during their childhood which had only a beneficial effect on their adult success.
I'm not convinced that 66% of parents abuse children using homeschooling as their cover story. But 98% of academia are against home schooling, because it diminishes their power. I'm rather glad Mrs. Edison did not allow her son, Thomas to continually stay in trouble at school for mischief. At home, she was able to channel his brilliant mind into doing good for humanity, and he lit up the world, literally, with the incandescent light bulb. That brave parent gave the world a gift I doubt all the schools globally can boast. Because who can read a book at night without fear of ruining his or her eyes vs. a candlestick reader doing likewise? Candlesticks don't power computers, either. So I'm just not convinced that this percentage is much more than a myth to enrich the school system that receives a set amount of money per head of children it serves, and it gets nothing for home-schooled children. If you follow the money in most debates, the debate makes a little more sense.
I deplore, however, abuse of any kind. Spankings administered to prevent children from being wild animals is effective. Over-administrated, it can be lethal and even degrading. Under-administrated, children can become killers, thieves, rapists, and any other abuse known to mankind. Even when administered properly, children can grow up thinking everybody in the world is as good as their own parents, and be careless in their associations, which can get them paired up with people who literally use them to take the rap for their own crimes which can range from pilfering a business to serial murders. Life takes a balance and is best lived with a reverence for what is good and disdain for what leads to angst among men and women.

Last edited:
Sexual abuse of children is not limited to homeschooled children:

Prevalence of Educator Sexual Abuse When I talk about educator sexual abuse, one of the first questions parents (but not educators) ask is, “How widespread is this practice?” Parents want to know how much to worry about educator sexual abuse and where to place it on the list of evils that can harm children. Despite a number of national studies about child sexual abuse funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Justice, and the U.S. Department of Education, there are no national studies that document educator sexual abuse.1 It is curious to note that none of the federally funded studies of child sexual abuse provide data that could answer parents’ questions. In these studies, teachers are most often subsumed in the category “other” that includes any person who is not a parent or parent substitute. Since 49 percent of children are sexually abused by someone other than a parent or parent substitute, it seems sensible to know what types of “others” are sexually abusing children. Most knowledge of educator sexual abuse comes from newspaper reports, hardly a reliable sample. However, newspaper coverage does remind us that educator sexual abuse is a regular occurrence in all parts of the United States. Below is a sampling of stories that were published during just one month (February 2003) and which represent only those incidents that have come to the attention of school and law enforcement officials. • Henderson, NC: The Henderson County School Board agrees to pay $1.78 million to the families of 17 children who were alleged sexual victims of a former teacher assistant. • Augusta, WI: Family alleges sexual assault of 12-year-old boy by male teacher. • Ann Arbor, MI: Male high school teacher assaults female student. • Indiana: Former Baptist school principal to be sentenced for taking an 11-year-old female student across country to have sex with her. • Omaha, NE: Wrestling coach sentenced to 45 days in jail and required to apologize publicly to female student he assaulted. • Sarasota, FL: Former female high school assistant coach pleads no contest to unlawful sexual activity and committing a lewd and lascivious act with two students on her basketball and softball teams. • Westminster, CO: Male softball coach gets six years in prison for sexually assaulting seven girls on his softball team. • Amelia, OH: Former male high school administrative assistant gets 18-month sentence for having sex with female high school student. • Hackensack, NJ: 42-year-old female middle school teacher admits sexual intercourse with sixth grade male student. • Yonkers, NY: 50-year-old male Montessori teacher fondles 7-yearold student in bathroom. • Bullhead City, AZ: Male ELL teacher has sexual contact with 12- year-old female student. Teacher is a registered sex offender in Florida.
https://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/orsp_shakeshaft_spring03.pdf
Wherever human beings exist, there is considerable abuse of weaker persons. And when teachers start filling childrens' heads with correctional methods of families as being bad, those children who had as few as 3 spankings for bad behavior are at risk for never speaking to their parents in a civil manner again after the age of 18, when they leave home, hating parents for not letting them stay out until 5 am on prom night after condemning their parents for "everything," including inclusion in worship services during their childhood which had only a beneficial effect on their adult success.
I'm not convinced that 66% of parents abuse children using homeschooling as their cover story. But 98% of academia are against home schooling, because it diminishes their power. I'm rather glad Mrs. Edison did not allow her son, Thomas to continually stay in trouble at school for mischief. At home, she was able to channel his brilliant mind into doing good for humanity, and he lit up the world, literally, with the incandescent light bulb. That brave parent gave the world a gift I doubt all the schools globally can boast. Because who can read a book at night without fear of ruining his or her eyes vs. a candlestick reader doing likewise? Candlesticks don't power computers, either. So I'm just not convinced that this percentage is much more than a myth to enrich the school system that receives a set amount of money per head of children it serves, and it gets nothing for home-schooled children. If you follow the money in most debates, the debate makes a little more sense.
I deplore, however, abuse of any kind. Spankings administered to prevent children from being wild animals is effective. Over-administrated, it can be lethal and even degrading. Under-administrated, children can become killers, thieves, rapists, and any other abuse known to mankind. Even when administered properly, children can grow up thinking everybody in the world is as good as their own parents, and be careless in their associations, which can get them paired up with people who literally use them to take the rap for their own crimes which can range from pilfering a business to serial murders. Life takes a balance and is best lived with a reverence for what is good and disdain for what leads to angst among men and women.

People are dug deeply into the trenches on either side, I can tell you that.

I used to be a vocal proponent of homeschooling. Yes I was, even in the teachers' lounge. The stats don't lie; it almost always works. You know who ruined it for me?

Homeschoolers.

As a whole they are so insular, petty, vindictive and downright nasty toward the public schools that after YEARS I just couldn't take it anymore.

I am talking in my own church. I am talking about my own public schooled children being approached by homeschooled kids are church and told "Ew! How can you go to SCHOOL? Don't you know what they do there?" Over and over and over. And they are not the only public school kids in our church.

So when I hear the nasty about homeschool go on at school now, I shrug and walk away. Sorry. I'm done.

And of course they are. If you had designs to torture, starve, beat and neglect your children, why in the world would you daily send them to a place of mandatory reporters?

You wouldn't. You would either withdraw or never enroll them. Which is exactly what the study below found.

This is a serious and growing problem in the homeschooling community which, true to form, homeschoolers are not addressing except to fight oversight. This WILL have a negative effect not only on the perception of homeschooling but also on their success rate over time.

Particularly severe abuse cases that involve school-age children also tend to involve homeschooling. In a 2014 study of child torture, Barbara Knox, a pediatrician at the University of Wisconsin, found that 47% of school-age victims had been withdrawn from school for homeschooling and an additional 29% had never been enrolled.

The Turpin child abuse story fits a widespread and disturbing homeschooling pattern
Conservatives are big on homeschooling.

And of course they are. If you had designs to torture, starve, beat and neglect your children, why in the world would you daily send them to a place of mandatory reporters?

You wouldn't. You would either withdraw or never enroll them. Which is exactly what the study below found.

This is a serious and growing problem in the homeschooling community which, true to form, homeschoolers are not addressing except to fight oversight. This WILL have a negative effect not only on the perception of homeschooling but also on their success rate over time.

Particularly severe abuse cases that involve school-age children also tend to involve homeschooling. In a 2014 study of child torture, Barbara Knox, a pediatrician at the University of Wisconsin, found that 47% of school-age victims had been withdrawn from school for homeschooling and an additional 29% had never been enrolled.

The Turpin child abuse story fits a widespread and disturbing homeschooling pattern

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Crepitus is about 80% trolling, and 20% just... nonsensical ramblings.

Since they really don't visit homes of homes of homeschooling and small daycares (6 or less), I am against them all. Put your child into a decent daycare, a larger one not a 6 child one, and no one should homeschool their kids.
I am pro public schools , that is why we pay taxes. The gov. should not fund parochial schools nor private schools and states should not either.
Michigan court approves public funding for private school mandates

I agree the Government should not fund private schools. I went to public schools. No child of mine would ever step foot inside a public school (or most private ones). They would be homeschooled, just like my brothers six kids are.

Geeze, Crepitus, conservatives are everywhere! The sky is falling! -- I think not. :rolleyes:

I hated and loved homeschooling. I hated having to make the child learn but that is what whips are for...

But I loved not having to get up early to take the kid to school.

Actually with the digital age teaching child is so much easier than the analog era...

Geeze, Crepitus, conservatives are everywhere! The sky is falling! -- I think not
Certainly there are more problems in all schools in general these days as the innocent get traumatized at public school shootings, little red schoolhouse shootings and in religious settings and in private at home when their parents or captors are sick menacing weird freaks. Lots of evil drugs out there and dumb violent "entertainment" that is not meant for children to watch. You have got to be a vigilant super parent these days. God bless the children and protect them. The sky is falling on the people and we the people must try to be good people. We must have agencies check-in periodically at many locations.

And how many children is that exactly?

Percentages are meaningless without the total number on which they are based

The vast majority of parents who homeschool do not torture their kids

How do you know?
Because the vast majority of all parents do not torture their kids.

Again, how do you know?
61% of child abuse is perpetrated by people other than the child's parents
https://www.nationalchildrensallian...media-kit/national-statistics-on-child-abuse/

people-investigated-2015_0.png

giphy.gif
Take the blinders off and look at the correlation.

giphy.gif
Take the blinders off and look at the correlation.
Be intelligent enough to know that correlation does not equal causation

Forum List

Back