59% of millennials considered themselves “unaffiliated” or “nothing in particular” when asked about

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
The reasons for Millennials and their inability to appreciate organized religion are three fold, I believe.

One, millennial privilege leads the individuals and group to self-identify themselves as separate from their parents and grandparents. Such is generational phenomena and it is nothing new.

Two, the explosion of information access and services have given the millennials and digitals access to a plethora of information the like previous generations could not contemplate much less perceive. However, that access leads to a false sense of generational superiority. They lack experience to make wise decisions.

Three, one and two lead to the great flaw - somehow they believe they are exceptional and unique and smarter than the individuals and generations that have come before. Many equate religion with superstion.

Experiences and time will bring them the wisdom to understand and smile at why their own children and grandchildren are laughing at them behind their collective back. :) And perhaps to understand why we smile behind their backs and pat them on the head now.

"The Pew Research Center’s Religious Landscape Study, conducted in 2016, found that nearly 59% of millennials considered themselves “unaffiliated” or “nothing in particular” when asked about their religious identity. Religion is one of the oldest human institutions. Before humanity began gathering in cities, or organizing complex social structures they were already experimenting with forms of systematized spirituality. Religion, especially institutionalized religion, has been so ubiquitous throughout history that its implications have reached far beyond questions of God or spirituality into almost all aspects of human life. Looking at these historic norms and modern trends begs two important questions; why are people religious and why is being religious still important?" americanagora

The reasons for Millennials and their inability to appreciate organized religion are three fold, I believe.

One, millennial privilege leads the individuals and group to self-identify themselves as separate from their parents and grandparents. Such is generational phenomena and it is nothing new.

Two, the explosion of information access and services have given the millennials and digitals access to a plethora of information the like previous generations could not contemplate much less perceive. However, that access leads to a false sense of generational superiority. They lack experience to make wise decisions.

Three, one and two lead to the great flaw - somehow they believe they are exceptional and unique and smarter than the individuals and generations that have come before. Many equate religion with superstion.

Experiences and time will bring them the wisdom to understand and smile at why their own children and grandchildren are laughing at them behind their collective back. :) And perhaps to understand why we smile behind their backs and pat them on the head now.

"The Pew Research Center’s Religious Landscape Study, conducted in 2016, found that nearly 59% of millennials considered themselves “unaffiliated” or “nothing in particular” when asked about their religious identity. Religion is one of the oldest human institutions. Before humanity began gathering in cities, or organizing complex social structures they were already experimenting with forms of systematized spirituality. Religion, especially institutionalized religion, has been so ubiquitous throughout history that its implications have reached far beyond questions of God or spirituality into almost all aspects of human life. Looking at these historic norms and modern trends begs two important questions; why are people religious and why is being religious still important?" americanagora
Because they were made to worship. The only choice they have is in what they choose to worship.

"For me, the last few years of the postmodern era have seemed a bit like the way you feel when you’re in high school and your parents go on a trip, and you throw a party. You get all your friends over and throw this wild disgusting fabulous party. For a while it’s great, free and freeing, parental authority gone and overthrown, a cat’s-away-let’s-play Dionysian revel. But then time passes and the party gets louder and louder, and you run out of drugs, and nobody’s got any money for more drugs, and things get broken and spilled, and there’s a cigarette burn on the couch, and you’re the host and it’s your house too, and you gradually start wishing your parents would come back and restore some fucking order in your house. It’s not a perfect analogy, but the sense I get of my generation of writers and intellectuals or whatever is that it’s 3:00 A.M. and the couch has several burn-holes and somebody’s thrown up in the umbrella stand and we’re wishing the revel would end. The postmodern founders’ patricidal work was great, but patricide produces orphans, and no amount of revelry can make up for the fact that writers my age have been literary orphans throughout our formative years. We’re kind of wishing some parents would come back. And of course we’re uneasy about the fact that we wish they’d come back–I mean, what’s wrong with us? Are we total pussies? Is there something about authority and limits we actually need? And then the uneasiest feeling of all, as we start gradually to realize that parents in fact aren’t ever coming back–which means “we’re” going to have to be the parents." David Foster Wallace

Well, each new successive generation IS actually smarter than previous ones. This is a very, very tough pill for me to swallow, personally, but it is true. Millenials are smart as hell. Which really pains me to say because so many are such annoying turds.

Well, each new successive generation IS actually smarter than previous ones. This is a very, very tough pill for me to swallow, personally, but it is true. Millenials are smart as hell. Which really pains me to say because so many are such annoying turds.
No. They are not. They have access to more information.

That exact same sentiment has been expressed about each new generation since Socrates walked the streets of Athens. .... :cool:

• Banned
Here may be proof of increasing generational smartness. Posted in a HS chemistry teacher's lab recently is an example of digital martness, however, which is not accurate in fact.

17201074_10210676703887330_1767477342925643425_n.jpg

I believe this would be the correct math.

time = money
money = evil^1/2
time = evil^1/2
girl = time x money
girl = evil^1/2 x evil^1/2 = evil

This is awesome news! Millennial's want evidence and are rational!
Or maybe rational like America is to blame for carbon emissions when our emissions are going down and the rest of the world's has increased by 1 billion tons per year for each of the past 14 years? Rational like that?

This is awesome news! Millennial's want evidence and are rational!
Or maybe rational like the occupy movement where they blame everyone else for their failures but themselves while demanding that others give them free stuff? Rational like that?

God doesn't deserve to be worshiped if he doesn't give a damn enough to show him self to his children. A father needs to care and be there for his children.

Respect is earned and worship is doubly so.
Then don't worship him, Matthew. Problem solved.

Forum List

Back