57% of Americans Support a Public Option

I have not talked with A SINGLE PERSON yet who wants the government in the health care business. Let's review the article.

Independents and senior citizens, two groups crucial to the debate, have warmed to the idea of a public option, and are particularly supportive if it would be administered by the states and limited to those without access to affordable private coverage.

Seniors are supportive? They already have a plan. How does that make them "crucial" to the debate? Note the definition of public option here, adminstered by the states and limited to those without access to affordable coverage. Sounds great we should limit the number of people who can enroll to 30% of the population.

But in a sign of the fragile coalition politics that influence the negotiations in Congress, Obama's approval ratings on health-care reform are slipping among his fellow Democrats even as they are solidifying among independents and seniors. Among Democrats, strong approval of his handling of the issue has dropped 15 percentage points since mid-September.

oops!

These numbers underscore the challenges ahead for the president and Democratic leaders in Congress as they attempt to maintain support among liberals and moderates in their own party while continuing to win over at least a few Republican lawmakers.

Overall, 45 percent of Americans favor the broad outlines of the proposals now moving in Congress, while 48 percent are opposed, about the same division that existed in August, at the height of angry town hall meetings over health-care reform. Seven in 10 Democrats back the plan, while almost nine in 10 Republicans oppose it. Independents divide 52 percent against, 42 percent in favor of the legislation.

Sounds like the early numbers we heard. So how does that translate to higher poll points?

There are also deep splits in the new poll over whether the proposed changes would go too far or not far enough in expanding coverage and controlling costs. Twice as many see the plan as leaning toward too much government involvement, but since last month there has been a nine-point increase in the number who say government should be more involved.

This keeps getting better and better. Did you read this before you decided to use it? lol

On the issue that has been perhaps the most pronounced flash point in the national debate, 57 percent of all Americans now favor a public insurance option, while 40 percent oppose it. Support has risen since mid-August, when a bare majority, 52 percent, said they favored it. (In a June Post-ABC poll, support was 62 percent.)

Okay, so in June ABC said 62% when other polls said 52%? Now ABC says the number is 57%. Is my math rusty, or does that mean support is DOWN 5%?

This part in particular:

On the issue that has been perhaps the most pronounced flash point in the national debate, 57 percent of all Americans now favor a public insurance option, while 40 percent oppose it. Support has risen since mid-August, when a bare majority, 52 percent, said they favored it. (In a June Post-ABC poll, support was 62 percent.)

Okay, so in June ABC said 62% when other polls said 52%? Now ABC says the number is 57%. Is my math rusty, or does that mean support is DOWN 5%?[/QUOTE]

Your CBS poll has no bearing on the June polls. If you want to compare it to the ABC current poll it shows no change.

So who did have the most accurate poll for the Presidential election in 2008 NYcarbineer?

My guess is that this is where the poll sample came from:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGeAXCLT2pw]YouTube - Obama Causes Welfare Chaos In Detroit[/ame]

Do you have evidence that the poll cited in the OP is skewed?

Ah, there's Carbinier the Poll Spinner....:clap2:

Even YOU have to admit that using 20% R is quite a bit undersampled... Well, if you wanted to be intelletually honest you would...

I'm not holding my breath on it, though...

Please... Spin away...

Liberal - 23%

Moderate - 36%

Conservative - 38%

...that's from the poll. What's wrong with those numbers??

A recent CBS/NY Times poll showed 62% support public option

Poll: Congress Gets Low Health Care Grade - CBS News

Health Care Policies

Much of the public remains unconvinced that the reform proposals would benefit them personally - just 18 percent think they would. In fact, 31 percent believe reforms would hurt them and another 45 percent think they would have no effect.

Republicans (5 percent), seniors (7 percent) and those with insurance (14 percent) are some of the least likely groups to say they would be helped by the current reform proposals. Democrats (26 percent) and those earning less than $50,000 (25 percent) are most likely to say they would be helped.

The much-debated "public option" -- a government-run insurance plan -- still has the support of 62 percent of the public.

When asked to choose between providing coverage to the uninsured and keeping down costs as the more serious problem right now, 59 percent of Americans choose expanding coverage while 35 percent select keeping costs down.

This poll also asked Americans about the state of the economy: 84 percent say the economy is in bad shape, and just 16 percent say it is good. The unemployment rate reached a 26-year high last month, and the economy lost more jobs in September than anticipated.

Americans' outlook for the national economy has not changed since last month; the good news may be that most don't think it's getting worse. Just under a third think it is getting better, and 18 percent say it is getting worse. About half think it is staying the same.

The last two CBS polls only sampled 22% of Republicans in " a random sample of adults nationwide". :eusa_hand:

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/poll_health_care_100909.pdf?tag=contentMain;contentBody