54 percent of Los Angeles Shuns English at Home

Is it?
What is American culture? That is --- what's it made of?
It's made of a convergence of various cultures in the effort for assimilation. Holding onto and focusing on individual heritage in lieu of assimilation is segregation. Remember that segregation thing that MLK essentially gave his life to combat?

You're actually equating using one's mother tongue at home to separate drinking fountains?

:cuckoo:
Segregation manifests itself these days in ways more insidious than drinking fountains.
Not speaking English at home discourages assimilation.
Your argument is hyperbolic and disingenuous and you know it.

Uh.... no Skippy, your argument was hyperbolic. That's exactly why I mocked it.
Mine was legit which is why you're avoiding a response.

I uh .. already responded there Peewee. Took all of 2 minutes.
You came back with "I know you are but what am I".

Clearly from that post and 39 you don't know what the word "segregation" means.

Considering a population of 3,928,864, the damage is done

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times

Long as they can read traffic signs I could give a hoot.

-Geaux
-------------------------

More than 350 languages are spoken at home in the U.S., the Census Bureau reported Tuesday, and residents in the country’s biggest cities are drifting away from speaking English at home.

A staggering 54 percent of residents in the Los Angeles metropolitan region speak a language other than English at home, as does 38 percent of the New York City area, 37 percent of Houston, 51 percent of Miami, 40 percent of San Francisco, and 36 percent of Washington, D.C.

More than 350 languages spoken in U.S.; 54 percent of Los Angeles shuns English at home - Washington Times
Better start kissin' Latino ass, they have the political majority in this area............essay!

I don't need to, cuz, I'm from Strong Beach. LA don't fuck with us. They might have South-Central, but we have Compton and the West Side.

Yes, there are some of us that are multilingual, but many of the rest regard that as treason.

That's why I carry the sigline I do. And posts like the OP affirm it every single day.

Thank goodness I have signatures turned off.

Shun English they should just shun America.... But wait, we see that already. The types that think shunning English is a sign of maturity and education are the same ones who are tearing our country apart right now.

American= Speaking English first

-Geaux

Yep. A permanent underclass that will be unable to compete for millions of jobs, destined for a life of under-achievement. All thanks to a group of people who stand to gain politically from that situation. What a fucking waste.

I'd call THAT racism.

Give me a break. So they are victims you say?

-Geaux

Yep. A permanent underclass that will be unable to compete for millions of jobs, destined for a life of under-achievement. All thanks to a group of people who stand to gain politically from that situation. What a fucking waste.

I'd call THAT racism.

-Geaux
In a way. They're victims of a culture that lowers standards for them, even going as far as not expecting them to speak our language.

I'd call THAT racism.

-Geaux
In a way. They're victims of a culture that lowers standards for them, even going as far as not expecting them to speak our language.

The writing was on the wall when California stood up bilingual education, voter ballots in Spanish, and press 1 for english

-Geaux

JohnWaynePush1.jpg

Is it?
It's made of a convergence of various cultures in the effort for assimilation. Holding onto and focusing on individual heritage in lieu of assimilation is segregation. Remember that segregation thing that MLK essentially gave his life to combat?

You're actually equating using one's mother tongue at home to separate drinking fountains?

Segregation manifests itself these days in ways more insidious than drinking fountains.
Not speaking English at home doesn't discourage assimilation. Refusing to learn or speak English outside the home does that.
Not speaking English at home -- that means with your kids -- discourages assimilation because it sends the signal that assimilation isn't pertinent.

Wrong

Is it?

Not speaking English at home discourages assimilation....

You are speaking from ignorance.
I'm speaking from experience. Lots of highspanics where I live. .....

That is not "experience."

upload_2015-11-4_7-9-39.png
The term Los Angeles is misleading. The city of Los Angeles takes up a relatively small area of the area known as The Los Angeles Basin.

One has to take an overall view of the area to make the OP sensible. Yes, there are areas within the basin where English is a second language and the primary language IS NOT always Spanish. My home neighborhood is now predominantly Korean and one sees signs in Korean everywhere.

I'm not certain what the OP was trying to prove here but I think the point is moot. There are farming locals in the Midwest where some people still speak German, Swedish, and other European languages as a sign of respect to their elders who pioneered the area.

I supposed the OP wants us to remove all ethnic names from local towns and cities and replace them with English.

"Damage"? What "damage"?

Thanks for proving my point :up:

-Geaux
You DO know this is a natural progression, right? Those new to the country speak their native language and maybe pick up bare English. Their children speak both languages....but not well. They are the ones who are the natural translators. By the 3rd generation, they are speaking English and have probably let go of their grandparents' language and can barely speak to them....they are totally Americanized. This happens with all...German, Italian, Russian, Mexican, Chinese, etc.

View attachment 53871
The term Los Angeles is misleading. The city of Los Angeles takes up a relatively small area of the area known as The Los Angeles Basin.

One has to take an overall view of the area to make the OP sensible. Yes, there are areas within the basin where English is a second language and the primary language IS NOT always Spanish. My home neighborhood is now predominantly Korean and one sees signs in Korean everywhere.

I'm not certain what the OP was trying to prove here but I think the point is moot. There are farming locals in the Midwest where some people still speak German, Swedish, and other European languages as a sign of respect to their elders who pioneered the area.

I supposed the OP wants us to remove all ethnic names from local towns and cities and replace them with English.
Not to mention blocks in NYC where people can live their entire lives only speaking Russian or Yiddish or Spanish or Chinese, etc.

Republican nanny government trying to regulate the language you speak in your own home?

I'd call THAT racism.

-Geaux

The writing was on the wall when California stood up bilingual education, voter ballots in Spanish, and press 1 for english

-Geaux

JohnWaynePush1.jpg

I do agree with Geaux on this 1 point. If you've just uttered the words "press one for English" --- IN ENGLISH -- then there's no reason to make the listener jump through a hoop just to get to where you already are.

:banghead:

I'm inclined to conclude, "if this is how they think in English, let's go with Lithuanian".

Yes, there are some of us that are multilingual, but many of the rest regard that as treason.

That's why I carry the sigline I do. And posts like the OP affirm it every single day.

Thank goodness I have signatures turned off.

You can do that?

Not to worry, I can bring it into the post for ya and show you what you missed.
Goes like this... ah one, and ah two, and...

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
-- Isaac Asimov... 35 years ago

How ya like me now?

Shun English they should just shun America.... But wait, we see that already. The types that think shunning English is a sign of maturity and education are the same ones who are tearing our country apart right now.

American= Speaking English first

-Geaux

Um... no, that's not what "American" means.

Not speaking English at home doesn't discourage assimilation. Refusing to learn or speak English outside the home does that.
Not speaking English at home -- that means with your kids -- discourages assimilation because it sends the signal that assimilation isn't pertinent.

Wrong
Not where I live. And we have to foot the bill.

Forum List

Back