50th anniversary Apollo 11 commemorative coin

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The coin depicts the moon landing on one side and JFK on the other side but wait, the moon landing happened in 1969 and JFK died in 1963. Nixon was president when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. What's going on?

The coin depicts the moon landing on one side and JFK on the other side but wait, the moon landing happened in 1969 and JFK died in 1963. Nixon was president when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. What's going on?

One my favorite coins in my collection.

Actually, the US Mint's 50th Anniversary Moon Landing set of coins does not depict JFK at all. The Mint issued the same design on a $5 gold commemorative, $1 Silver commemorative, and 50 cent clad.

a1.PNG

The obverse (heads) design features the inscriptions “MERCURY,” “GEMINI,” and “APOLLO,” separated by phases of the Moon, and a footprint on the lunar surface.

The reverse (tails) design features a representation of a close-up of the famous ‘Buzz Aldrin on the Moon’ photograph taken July 20, 1969, that shows just the visor and part of the helmet of astronaut Buzz Aldrin. The reflection in Buzz Aldrin’s helmet includes astronaut Neil Armstrong, the United States flag, and the lunar lander.

Check out the US Mint's web site for all the details about the design.

Actually, the US Mint's 50th Anniversary Moon Landing set of coins does not depict JFK at all. The Mint issued the same design on a $5 gold commemorative, $1 Silver commemorative, and 50 cent clad.

View attachment 386404

The obverse (heads) design features the inscriptions “MERCURY,” “GEMINI,” and “APOLLO,” separated by phases of the Moon, and a footprint on the lunar surface.

The reverse (tails) design features a representation of a close-up of the famous ‘Buzz Aldrin on the Moon’ photograph taken July 20, 1969, that shows just the visor and part of the helmet of astronaut Buzz Aldrin. The reflection in Buzz Aldrin’s helmet includes astronaut Neil Armstrong, the United States flag, and the lunar lander.

Check out the US Mint's web site for all the details about the design.
I swear I saw a TV spot that featured the coin with the moon landing and JFK. Maybe it was a private mint. Generally commemorative coins are junk and the one with the footprint looks like some sort of slug. It's an ugly coin but silver is around $27 per oz so if you bought the coins when they were around $6.50 you did well. I wonder if they will give President Trump credit when we put a man on Mars? Not likely?

JFK got it going

Forum List

Back