43 people turn to Indiana needle exchange to curb HIV

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
More than 40 people have received help in the first two weeks of a temporary needle exchange program implemented to help stem an HIV outbreak of more than 100 cases in Scott County associated with intravenous drug use.

As of last Friday, 95 people in the area had tested positive for HIV with an additional 11 preliminary positives, state health officials said Tuesday at a weekly briefing on the outbreak.

And here:
INDIANAPOLIS — An Indiana county at the heart of an H.I.V. outbreak has seen a “significant increase” in the number of cases more than two weeks into a short-term needle exchange program, state health officials said.

There are now 120 confirmed H.I.V. cases and 10 preliminary positive cases tied to Scott County, the Indiana State Department of Health said on Friday. That is up from 106 the previous week.

Health officials who declared an epidemic last month have said that they expect the number of cases to rise as more people are tested. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sent staff members to Indiana last month to help with testing, the Health Department said in a news release. The growing number of cases could put pressure on Gov. Mike Pence to extend the 30-day needle exchange program that he approved on March 26.

A spokeswoman for the governor, Kara Brooks, said on Friday that Mr. Pence was reviewing reports and recommendations from health officials and would decide within the next few days whether to extend the program beyond April 25.

The Scott County outbreak has occurred among intravenous drug users and primarily involves the use of the high-powered painkiller Opana, health officials have said. The county usually sees about five H.I.V. cases a year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/us/indiana-says-hiv-outbreak-is-worsening.html?_r=0

Indiana isn't the only state: Texas HB65:
Texas Legislature Online - 84 R History for HB 65

And here:

Needle exchange called success despite doubts

Utilize the harm reduction method in it's entirety. As tax payers we will pay it is how we will pay. Least harm to society

More than 40 people have received help in the first two weeks of a temporary needle exchange program implemented to help stem an HIV outbreak of more than 100 cases in Scott County associated with intravenous drug use.

As of last Friday, 95 people in the area had tested positive for HIV with an additional 11 preliminary positives, state health officials said Tuesday at a weekly briefing on the outbreak.

And here:
INDIANAPOLIS — An Indiana county at the heart of an H.I.V. outbreak has seen a “significant increase” in the number of cases more than two weeks into a short-term needle exchange program, state health officials said.

There are now 120 confirmed H.I.V. cases and 10 preliminary positive cases tied to Scott County, the Indiana State Department of Health said on Friday. That is up from 106 the previous week.

Health officials who declared an epidemic last month have said that they expect the number of cases to rise as more people are tested. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sent staff members to Indiana last month to help with testing, the Health Department said in a news release. The growing number of cases could put pressure on Gov. Mike Pence to extend the 30-day needle exchange program that he approved on March 26.

A spokeswoman for the governor, Kara Brooks, said on Friday that Mr. Pence was reviewing reports and recommendations from health officials and would decide within the next few days whether to extend the program beyond April 25.

The Scott County outbreak has occurred among intravenous drug users and primarily involves the use of the high-powered painkiller Opana, health officials have said. The county usually sees about five H.I.V. cases a year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/us/indiana-says-hiv-outbreak-is-worsening.html?_r=0

And here:

Utilize the harm reduction method in it's entirety. As tax payers we will pay it is how we will pay. Least harm to society

Far cheaper for the state to do needle exchanges than absorb the costs of treating the resulting diseases from sharing dirty needles.

Maybe the tea party governor of Indiana will notice that hate and shame never does cure a human with a disease.....

And here:

And here:

Far cheaper for the state to do needle exchanges than absorb the costs of treating the resulting diseases from sharing dirty needles.

I agree. In fact, I think they should go further with the harm reduction method.

And here:

And here:

I agree. In fact, I think they should go further with the harm reduction method.

Drug addiction is exactly that - addiction. Instead of making it a moral issue, we should treat it for what it is, a medical issue. When shock jock Rush Limbaugh was addicted to narcotics we didn't make it a moral issue and lock him away, he got medical treatment. Isn't any different than an IV addict's addiction. And treating them differently doesn't help anyone.

And here:

And here:

Drug addiction is exactly that - addiction. Instead of making it a moral issue, we should treat it for what it is, a medical issue. When shock jock Rush Limbaugh was addicted to narcotics we didn't make it a moral issue and lock him away, he got medical treatment. Isn't any different than an IV addict's addiction. And treating them differently doesn't help anyone.
Addiction is a disease which alters the mind...it should be treat like any other disease..And stop the stigmatizing and discrimination of addicts that need support form the community...

I believe intervention programs are vital...along with rehab...for no less than 90 days....

It depends on the rehab and what is available. NA/AA programs work for a rather small percentage of people---mostly men. In fact, there is a high amount of criticism with 12 step programs. The rehabs only keep records for some 3 months so it is impossible to gather statistics and they make a hell of a lot of money.

Forum List

Back