$400 million cash to Iran is chump change

I just happened to be in the US Army when this day occurred, where were you?

On this day in 1986, President Ronald Reagan went on national television to explain — and, in part, defend — the secret sale of arms to Iran despite a U.S. arms embargo. White House officials hoped the arms transfers through Israel would help secure the release of seven U.S. hostages being held in Lebanon. They also used the proceeds of the sale to funnel weapons to Nicaraguan insurgents, known as the Contras, whom Reagan supported — despite a congressional ban on such transfers.

Read more: Reagan explains secret sale of arms to Iran, Nov. 13, 1986
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

next week the liberals will be crowing about how obama freed the hostages, just as i see they are now crowing that comey exonerated hillary. which is such a departure from the truth is it breath taking.

obama’s $400m cash payout to Iran is unprecedented, say legal experts

Obama’s $400m cash payout to Iran is unprecedented, say legal experts

No other transaction in US history has involved a planeload of bills, say diplomatic historians, raising questions about payment timed to help free prisoners
Not nearly as controversial as when Reagan sold Iran missiles for hostages in Lebanon...During the ban on arms sales with Iran..

The arms were brokered through Israel. There was no ban on arms sales to Israel. It was controversial because the Democrats hated Reagan.
It was controversial cause with all the huff and puff, Reagan turned out to be just another lying politician...

You just turned into a lying USMB poster. You posted this and it is a lie.

"Not nearly as controversial as when Reagan sold Iran missiles for hostages in Lebanon...During the ban on arms sales with Iran..

Pay attention, you will learn something.

Reagan's primary goal was to prevent Communism from spreading to Central America. The Communists in the US Senate passed the Boland Amendments that prevented him from funds to support the Contras. He told his staff to find some money to defeat the Communist takeover and they proceeded to do so. He didn't tell them how to raise the money.
Fuck Reagan and his breaking of the law, did he do any time for his crime? Hell no, just like any other politician president, they walk away from their crimes free and clear...

next week the liberals will be crowing about how obama freed the hostages, just as i see they are now crowing that comey exonerated hillary. which is such a departure from the truth is it breath taking.

No other transaction in US history has involved a planeload of bills, say diplomatic historians, raising questions about payment timed to help free prisoners
Not nearly as controversial as when Reagan sold Iran missiles for hostages in Lebanon...During the ban on arms sales with Iran..

The arms were brokered through Israel. There was no ban on arms sales to Israel. It was controversial because the Democrats hated Reagan.
It was controversial cause with all the huff and puff, Reagan turned out to be just another lying politician...

"Not nearly as controversial as when Reagan sold Iran missiles for hostages in Lebanon...During the ban on arms sales with Iran..

Reagan's primary goal was to prevent Communism from spreading to Central America. The Communists in the US Senate passed the Boland Amendments that prevented him from funds to support the Contras. He told his staff to find some money to defeat the Communist takeover and they proceeded to do so. He didn't tell them how to raise the money.
Fuck Reagan and his breaking of the law, did he do any time for his crime? Hell no, just like any other politician president, they walk away from their crimes free and clear...

Get down on your knees and thank Reagan. If not for him you and I would be speaking Russian today.

On this day in 1986, President Ronald Reagan went on national television to explain — and, in part, defend — the secret sale of arms to Iran despite a U.S. arms embargo. White House officials hoped the arms transfers through Israel would help secure the release of seven U.S. hostages being held in Lebanon. They also used the proceeds of the sale to funnel weapons to Nicaraguan insurgents, known as the Contras, whom Reagan supported — despite a congressional ban on such transfers.

Almost exactly what I said from memory. If you were in favor of the Communist takeover of Nicaragua, you opposed Reagan's opposition to same. And if you were, just say so!

Get down on your knees and thank Reagan. If not for him you and I would be speaking Russian today.
Just like the Russians? Yet Central Americans do not speak English..

Almost exactly what I said from memory. If you were in favor of the Communist takeover of Nicaragua, you opposed Reagan's opposition to same. And if you were, just say so!
Nicaragua has nothing to do with Iran that is non-communist..And thank God we can have a president which breaks the laws he signed off on, what I don't understand is why fools today are complaining when Oblama does it...

once again the left is allowed to change the subject

It has everything with what Oblama did, it was justified by past presidential moves..

What crimes?

"During the early years of the Reagan administration, a civil war raged in Nicaragua, pitting the revolutionary Sandinista government against Contra rebel groups. After the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) carried out a series of acts of sabotage without Congressional intelligence committees being made aware beforehand, the Boland Amendment was passed by Congress, cutting off appropriated funding for the Contras.

It covered only appropriated funds spent by intelligence agencies (such as the CIA). Some of Reagan's national security officials used non-appropriated money spent by the National Security Council (NSC) to circumvent the Amendment. No court ever made a determination whether Boland covered the NSC and, because the law was a prohibition rather than a criminal statute, no one could be indicted for violating it. Opponents alleged that the White House violated the amendment.

Administration officials argued that the Boland Amendment, or any act of Congress would not interfere with the president's conduct of foreign policy by restricting funds, as the president could seek funds from private entities or foreign governments. In this spirit, and despite the Boland Amendment, Vice Admiral John M. Poindexter, USN, and his deputy, Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North, USMC, secretly diverted to the Nicaraguan contras millions of dollars in funds received from a secret deal that some alleged had explicit presidential approval

Nicaragua has nothing to do with Iran that is non-communist..And thank God we can have a president which breaks the laws he signed off on, what I don't understand is why fools today are complaining when Oblama does it...

Obama gave Iran a huge propaganda tool as well as $1.3 Billion dollars. Fools don't understand the difference between Obama giving a country whose leaders call the US the Great Satan over a billion dollars to Reagan who got millions of dollars from Iran to fund anti-Communist forces in Central America.

It has everything with what Oblama did, it was justified by past presidential moves..

Really!

"Other settlements with Iran and other foreign claimants in recent decades bore some similarities to this latest transaction. But none seemed to involve planeloads of cash."

Really!

"Other settlements with Iran and other foreign claimants in recent decades bore some similarities to this latest transaction. But none seemed to involve planeloads of cash."
Cash that originally belonged to whom, confiscated when?

Really!

I am waiting for you to justify a plane load of cash by any past President to a country that sponsors terrorists.

Really!

I am waiting for you to justify a plane load of cash by any past President to a country that sponsors terrorists.
I can't justify what is fact...from precedent actions by former presidents or current ones..

Really!

I can't justify what is fact...from precedent actions by former presidents or current ones..

Is it a fact that former Presidents have sent a planeload of cash to any country?

Forum List

Back