$400 million cash to Iran is chump change

TooTall

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2013
The $400 million cash that had to be delivered in the middle of the night to provide a huge propaganda win to Iran was about 1/3 of what Obama sent them last Friday.
And Obama telling us on TV that he could not wire the money was just another lie. The $1.3 billion was a series of 14 different wire transfers.

The Wall Street Journal reported last week that the $400 million was delivered to Tehran in cash on January 17 – the same day Iran released three American prisoners. Critics claimed that the White House had essentially paid ransom for the hostages. The US State Department confirmed the link between the prisoner release and the payment, but insisted that the US had simply withheld the payment until the US citizens were set free in order to keep leverage over Tehran in case it tried to bail on the deal.

State Department spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau confirmed on Wednesday that, two days after the cash delivery, the interest on the debt was paid as well. The $1.3 billion was transferred in 13 separate payments of $99,999,999.99, with the final payment amounting to about $10 million.

“The $1.3 billion payment has been made. It was made through a transaction involving central banks but obviously not the US central bank because there are extensive restrictions on the financial relationship between the United States and Iran,” White House Press secretary Josh Earnest said earlier this week.

US paid $1.3bn in interest on debt to Iran left over from Shah’s time, critics call it ‘ransom’

It was Iran's money. Why not give it back at the most opportunistic time - like getting hostages released?
Why would the administration go to such lengths to keep this money transfer a secret?

Sigh.

It was NEVER a secret.

Obama defends Iran payment, says was not 'some nefarious deal'

"We announced these payments in January, many months ago. It wasn't a secret. This wasn't some nefarious deal," Obama said at a press conference at the Pentagon.

At the time, the United States said it had settled a long-standing Iranian claim at the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in The Hague, releasing $400 million in funds frozen since 1981, plus $1.3 billion in interest that was owed to Iran.

------------------

Unlike some countries, like Russia, which Donald Trump supports, the US follows international law.

In January, there was no way to wire transfer to a country that had been under sanctions for decades. Jan was 8 months ago.

Now is months after the first payment.

Do keep up.

Sigh.

It was NEVER a secret.

"We announced these payments in January, many months ago. It wasn't a secret. This wasn't some nefarious deal," Obama said at a press conference at the Pentagon.

At the time, the United States said it had settled a long-standing Iranian claim at the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in The Hague, releasing $400 million in funds frozen since 1981, plus $1.3 billion in interest that was owed to Iran.

------------------

Unlike some countries, like Russia, which Donald Trump supports, the US follows international law.

In January, there was no way to wire transfer to a country that had been under sanctions for decades. Jan was 8 months ago.

Do keep up.

$400 million?

You liberals pay that fucking tab..

If it was me I would have just spent 20 million on one nuke missile on Tehran.

How the fuck can Obama just give $1.3b to Iran w/o Congress' budget approval?
Why the big lie that the $400m in cash was all we owed, such a deal?!
I'm still pissed at the $1.0b BO wasted on Solyndra...
Now I see why Sen Coburn wants to put the US back on the right track with a "Convention of States"
Sen. Tom Coburn: "We're failing for the same reason other republics failed"
Say you gave me a hundred bucks to buy a gun. But before I could give it to you, you were arrested and went to prison.

After a year, you get out and you come to me and tell me you want your 100 dollars back. So I give you the hundred dollars back. Whose money did I give you? Your's or mine?

It was Iran's money. Why not give it back at the most opportunistic time - like getting hostages released?
Because the Supreme Court ruled the money was to go to the victims of Iranian terrorism. Obama thought it would be better used by terrorists.

When is Obama going to return the Russian money?

How the fuck can Obama just give $1.3b to Iran w/o Congress' budget approval?
Why the big lie that the $400m in cash was all we owed, such a deal?!
I'm still pissed at the $1.0b BO wasted on Solyndra...
Now I see why Sen Coburn wants to put the US back on the right track with a "Convention of States"
Sen. Tom Coburn: "We're failing for the same reason other republics failed"
Say you gave me a hundred bucks to buy a gun. But before I could give it to you, you were arrested and went to prison.

After a year, you get out and you come to me and tell me you want your 100 dollars back. So I give you the hundred dollars back. Whose money did I give you? Your's or mine?
Hey tard, the money was supposed to go to the victims.

May be unprecedented in recent U.S. history, according to legal experts and diplomatic historians...
confused.gif

Little precedent for $400 million cash payment to Iran
Aug 27,`16 | WASHINGTON (AP) -- A $400 million cash delivery to Iran to repay a decades-old arbitration claim may be unprecedented in recent U.S. history, according to legal experts and diplomatic historians, raising further questions about a payment timed to help free four American prisoners in Iran.
The money was sent to Iran on Jan. 17, the same day Iran agreed to release the prisoners. The Obama administration claimed for months the events were separate, but recently acknowledged the cash was used as leverage until the Americans were allowed to leave Iran. Only then, did the U.S. allow a plane with euros, Swiss francs and other foreign currency loaded on pallets to take off in the other direction for Tehran. "There's actually not anything particularly unusual about the mechanism for this transaction," White House press secretary Josh Earnest said this week of the initial cash payment. But diplomatic historians and lawyers with expertise in international arbitration struggled to find any similar examples.

Asked to recall a similar payment of the U.S. using cash or hard money to settle an international dispute, the office of the State Department historian couldn't provide an example. The acknowledgement that the prisoners and the payment were linked, and the unusual cash delivery, have fueled Republican claims that a "ransom" was paid. At a news conference this month, President Barack Obama said cash was used because the U.S. and Iran don't have a banking relationship after years of U.S. sanctions on Iran, making a check or wire transfer impossible. The $400 million was the principal owed by the U.S. on a 1970s Iranian account for buying U.S. military equipment. After Iran's 1979 overthrow of the U.S.-backed shah and the U.S. Embassy hostage crisis in Tehran, the weapons were never delivered. Iran has wanted the money back plus interest ever since. Seven months ago, two sides put the matter to rest with a $1.7 billion settlement.

Alan Henrikson, diplomatic history professor at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, found a precedent by reaching back to the 1848 Treaty of Guadelupe Hidalgo that ended the Mexican-American War. The accord called for the United States to pay Mexico $15 million, an amount worth about $482 million in today's money, he said. The payment was determined "in consideration of the extension acquired by the boundaries of the United States," vague diplomatic wording designed to compensate Mexico for a massive loss of territory that included all of California and parts of seven other states. At the same time, the Americans avoided any acceptance of national guilt.

The treaty stipulated that the U.S. immediately pay $3 million - or nearly $100 million in 2016 dollars - in Mexico City in the form of Mexico's gold or silver coin. The remainder had to be paid the same way in $3 million installments each year, with the debt subject to a fixed rate of 6 percent annual interest. President Ulysses S. Grant would later declare it "conscience money." "Ambiguity is often needed in diplomacy in order to achieve agreement," Henrikson said. "What is important, in my view, is that both sides to a negotiation clearly understand, even if only tacitly, what is being agreed upon when ambiguity is used. This is not all that subtle, actually. It is life."

MORE

May be unprecedented in recent U.S. history, according to legal experts and diplomatic historians...
confused.gif

Little precedent for $400 million cash payment to Iran
Aug 27,`16 | WASHINGTON (AP) -- A $400 million cash delivery to Iran to repay a decades-old arbitration claim may be unprecedented in recent U.S. history, according to legal experts and diplomatic historians, raising further questions about a payment timed to help free four American prisoners in Iran.
The money was sent to Iran on Jan. 17, the same day Iran agreed to release the prisoners. The Obama administration claimed for months the events were separate, but recently acknowledged the cash was used as leverage until the Americans were allowed to leave Iran. Only then, did the U.S. allow a plane with euros, Swiss francs and other foreign currency loaded on pallets to take off in the other direction for Tehran. "There's actually not anything particularly unusual about the mechanism for this transaction," White House press secretary Josh Earnest said this week of the initial cash payment. But diplomatic historians and lawyers with expertise in international arbitration struggled to find any similar examples.

Asked to recall a similar payment of the U.S. using cash or hard money to settle an international dispute, the office of the State Department historian couldn't provide an example. The acknowledgement that the prisoners and the payment were linked, and the unusual cash delivery, have fueled Republican claims that a "ransom" was paid. At a news conference this month, President Barack Obama said cash was used because the U.S. and Iran don't have a banking relationship after years of U.S. sanctions on Iran, making a check or wire transfer impossible. The $400 million was the principal owed by the U.S. on a 1970s Iranian account for buying U.S. military equipment. After Iran's 1979 overthrow of the U.S.-backed shah and the U.S. Embassy hostage crisis in Tehran, the weapons were never delivered. Iran has wanted the money back plus interest ever since. Seven months ago, two sides put the matter to rest with a $1.7 billion settlement.

Alan Henrikson, diplomatic history professor at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, found a precedent by reaching back to the 1848 Treaty of Guadelupe Hidalgo that ended the Mexican-American War. The accord called for the United States to pay Mexico $15 million, an amount worth about $482 million in today's money, he said. The payment was determined "in consideration of the extension acquired by the boundaries of the United States," vague diplomatic wording designed to compensate Mexico for a massive loss of territory that included all of California and parts of seven other states. At the same time, the Americans avoided any acceptance of national guilt.

The treaty stipulated that the U.S. immediately pay $3 million - or nearly $100 million in 2016 dollars - in Mexico City in the form of Mexico's gold or silver coin. The remainder had to be paid the same way in $3 million installments each year, with the debt subject to a fixed rate of 6 percent annual interest. President Ulysses S. Grant would later declare it "conscience money." "Ambiguity is often needed in diplomacy in order to achieve agreement," Henrikson said. "What is important, in my view, is that both sides to a negotiation clearly understand, even if only tacitly, what is being agreed upon when ambiguity is used. This is not all that subtle, actually. It is life."

MORE

From your link:

"The administration has been ambiguous from the start about its settlement seven months ago. Reports by the Wall Street Journal have led to recent acknowledgements about the $400 million delivered in stacks of cash and the connection to the American prisoners. But officials still won't say how Iran received the $1.3 billion in interest.

It was done "in a fairly above-board way," a senior administration official intimately involved in the Iran negotiations said in a conference call last week, saying only that the interest payments involved an unidentified, foreign central bank. The official wasn't authorized to be quoted by name and demanded anonymity. The State Department said Wednesday the payments were made Jan. 19, two days after the cash delivery."

The $1.3 Billion in interest was done with a wire transfer to a mutual bank. Obama got suckered by Iran into falling for the cash transfer. By doing it their way he give them a huge propaganda tool. He is either stupid or is letting Valerie Jarrett call the shots.

Sigh.

It was NEVER a secret.

------------------

Do keep up.

it wasn't hidden only because it was found out. obama circumvented the law by sending cash why else do it? that is the point you are missing.

next week the liberals will be crowing about how obama freed the hostages, just as i see they are now crowing that comey exonerated hillary. which is such a departure from the truth is it breath taking.

obama’s $400m cash payout to Iran is unprecedented, say legal experts

Obama’s $400m cash payout to Iran is unprecedented, say legal experts

No other transaction in US history has involved a planeload of bills, say diplomatic historians, raising questions about payment timed to help free prisoners

next week the liberals will be crowing about how obama freed the hostages, just as i see they are now crowing that comey exonerated hillary. which is such a departure from the truth is it breath taking.

No other transaction in US history has involved a planeload of bills, say diplomatic historians, raising questions about payment timed to help free prisoners

Not nearly as controversial as when Reagan sold Iran missiles for hostages in Lebanon...During the ban on arms sales with Iran..

Not nearly as controversial as when Reagan sold Iran missiles for hostages in Lebanon...During the ban on arms sales with Iran..

The arms were brokered through Israel. There was no ban on arms sales to Israel. It was controversial because the Democrats hated Reagan.

Reagan? Wasn't that like 30 years ago? Let's get modern and talk about why Stevens was killed selling arms to the Syrian rebels, or should I say ISIS?

Reagan? Wasn't that like 30 years ago? Let's get modern and talk about why Stevens was killed selling arms to the Syrian rebels, or should I say ISIS?
Stephens was doing the same thing Reagan was doing,, the only difference is the names have changed...

The arms were brokered through Israel. There was no ban on arms sales to Israel. It was controversial because the Democrats hated Reagan.
It was controversial cause with all the huff and puff, Reagan turned out to be just another lying politician...

Stephens was doing the same thing Reagan was doing,, the only difference is the names have changed...

and you are doing way all mad-libs do, changing the lie.

It was controversial cause with all the huff and puff, Reagan turned out to be just another lying politician...

You just turned into a lying USMB poster. You posted this and it is a lie.

"Not nearly as controversial as when Reagan sold Iran missiles for hostages in Lebanon...During the ban on arms sales with Iran..

Pay attention, you will learn something.

Reagan's primary goal was to prevent Communism from spreading to Central America. The Communists in the US Senate passed the Boland Amendments that prevented him from funds to support the Contras. He told his staff to find some money to defeat the Communist takeover and they proceeded to do so. He didn't tell them how to raise the money.

Forum List

Back