30 year old decides not to buy health insurance

Who should pay for that 30 year old who decided NOT to buy health insurance?

• No one, let him die in the waiting room, make an example of him

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • If the hospitals pay for illegals' care they should care for a citizen

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • The hospital should simply bill the young man for his care

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • The State he lives in should pay via Medicaid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Federal government should pay via Medicaid

• THE ACTUAL ANSWER is "Meduical Assistance" pays for those who have no money.

• Total voters
Now we know why republicans oppose mandatory healthcare coverage....it is easier to just let him die than make sure he has coverage

Why must I provide medical care for a gangbanger who gets his ass shot? How is that my responsibility?

So lets get this straight

All Americans without healthcare should be denied it because gangbangers might get some

Republican priorities

I'd let a gangbanger die in the streets - I wouldn't help that person.

They're swiss cheese because they made a decision to join a gang and with that comes the consequences.

Gangbangers are a liability to society, taxpayers either pay to incarcerate them or the hospitals eat their medical bills from the lead they caught.....

Not to mention they're collecting welfare...

Not to mention the welfare....

Nobody really gives a shit about your gangbangers when we have 35 million uninsured

Maybe, just maybe the uninsured could get treatment if urban hospitals didn't exacerbate their resources treating gangbangers with bullet holes?

Ever see "It's a Wonderful Life?"

"every time a gangbager is shot an indigent person doesn't get dialysis."

Get it???

Gee...maybe we could have special policies just for gangbangers

Nobody really gives a shit about your gangbangers when we have 35 million uninsured

Maybe, just maybe the uninsured could get treatment if urban hospitals didn't exacerbate their resources treating gangbangers with bullet holes?

Get it???

We should - no emergency treatment to those shot.....

Get it???

We should - no emergency treatment to those shot.....

Thats a bit over the top.

Now we know why republicans oppose mandatory healthcare coverage....it is easier to just let him die than make sure he has coverage

Why must I provide medical care for a gangbanger who gets his ass shot? How is that my responsibility?

All Americans without healthcare should be denied it because gangbangers might get some

Republican priorities

Do something about the gangstas instead of babying them.

Republican priorities

Do something about the gangstas instead of babying them.

OK

If I get rid of all the gangstas....will you let 30 million Americans buy health insurance?

Seems simple enough

Can't sqeeze blood out of a stone, folks.

They want debtors prison.

They want people who are barely eeking by to pay the same taxes as Paris Hilton.

We would have prisons overflowing with people who could not pay their taxes.

That is what some want

And then they want to privatize prisons. THE FREE MARKET MAN.....

Oh god how bad are these people.

That 30 year old who decides not to buy health insurance ends up needing 6-months of hospitalization. Who should pay?

The 30 year old, his family, and then, if necessary, a charity.

Let's stop pretending that this man didn't have a responsibility to take care of himself.

So a horrible car accident is his fault? Him getting cancer is his fault? His liver not functioning correctly is his fualt?

Do you have any idea how idiotic you sound?

What about the guy who meth lab blows up in his face and burns a large percent of his body? I know of a burn unit that is contemplating closing because they get so many of those, and of course cooking meth doesn't come with health insurance, that the unit is about to go belly up.

We are speaking of health insurance, correct?
There are zero states that have deregulated the sale of health insurance over state lines.

Not true. Maine, Wyoming, and Georgia spring to mind immediately.

Even if your point was accurate, what's the implication here? Are you advocating for state or federal action to achieve what you're describing?

I am not speaking out against state regulations. I am speaking FOR the people who would benefit from free market.

You did say that health insurers should not be forced to "adhere to rigid state 'rules'" didn't you? State regulations are what prevent out-of-state insurers from selling products in the state. In general these are a byproduct of consumer protections in the state.

I'm trying to disentangle what you're suggesting from the Republican party's across-state-lines proposal, which very specifically and purposefully uses federal power to defang state laws.

I believe I realize where you are going with this, so allow me to clarify a few things:

I am fully aware of the complexity of reforming HI.

When I post on this subject, I am not posting as any political party, but as a consumer, a health care provider and person who also happens to have a legal Eagle badge.
Thus, I will only focus on Maine, especially since I just rang up my State a' Mainer relatives to get their views.
The state regs I refer to are the ones that are driving up private HI premiums, as this article states:
Maine High Court Affirms State's Rejection of Anthem Health Insurance Rate Hike; Consumers... -- WASHINGTON, April 26, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

I agree with what the State of Maine is attempting to accomplish.

I am NOT stating there be zero state regulation, because I am well aware that HI companies will take advantage of the 'system' given the chance, including monopolization.
Again: HI should revert back to it's original intent: Catastrophic Insurance only, along with being non-profit. Take out the profit, HMOs, shareholders, contracts with providers, etc, and what the consumer will find is health care costs that are much lower.
If we have to make a co-pay at the Doc's office, logic would dictate the co-pay would cover the actual visit to begin with.
Again: competition that crosses state lines is a win for consumers. Of course all states would have to agree to same state over-sites, such as Maine currently has.
Again: ZERO states have deregulated the sale (and acceptence of sold HI) of HI across state lines.

There were several hospitals in California who had to close their maternity wards because of illegal immigrants birthing children.

or a 49 year old who works for Ron Paul and does the same and then dies leaving the bill to the hospital.

No, he gets pnuemonia, and gets treatment from the hospital. The treatment to kill the pneumonia was a complete success, but the patient died. the hospital sens the bill to his family, who are not legally responsible for said bill. They decide to pay it anyway, and get help from their friends, their sons friends, and people who had no idea who anyone was but decided to help anyway.

I like that method myself, but we could try yours and see what happens.

Same man, same hospital, no health insurance. They still bill the family, who have no money, and neither do their friends, or anyone else, because no one deserves to keep any money they earn, it all belongs to the government. The hospital sues, and the government sells the family home to pay for the bills, and keeps all the extra money for their trouble.

Not sure why anyone prefers that, but no one ever said you were intelligent.

So you pissed away 30 years of premiums. thats the point.................

No, the point is that sooner or later you will need medical care. Are you married? Plan on having children?

Sooner or later? Is true. I am married I raised 4 children. The last child, we used a mid wife to save money. Couldnt afford insurance then. I paid my bills out of pocket, made payments etc.

I should not be forced into coverage I do not want or need. This entire premise by the left is for someone else to pay. Mandated coverages prove that point.

What would you have done if your wife needed an emergency c-section?

You gambled, it all came out okay, but that simply is not the case for everyone.

Sooner or later? Is true. I am married I raised 4 children. The last child, we used a mid wife to save money. Couldnt afford insurance then. I paid my bills out of pocket, made payments etc.

I should not be forced into coverage I do not want or need. This entire premise by the left is for someone else to pay. Mandated coverages prove that point.

and i shouldn't have had to pay for two wars and tax cuts for the top 1% of the US that weren't needed and weren't wanted.

and you endangered your wife by using a midwife, imo.

I didnt start the war. Which has nothing to do with the topic. I was a little peeved at GWs nation building.

The mid wife, if you knew anything about them. You would know it still required regular doctor visits and his final approval.

And you'd know they can't do c-sections. Your wife could have had an abruption, a cord prolapse, a breech presentation, shoulder dystocia, uterine inversion, or any of a hundred other pathologies that a midwife couldn't manage.

I am not trying to knock your personal decision, but you gambled with what has historically been the number one mortality factor for women.

Again, it sounds like it all came out roses for you. But your policy of "just gamble and hope it goes okay" is not acceptable to the rest of the nation.

I think you've missed Full Auto's point here. What he's complaining about is the regulatory and tax constraints that push insurance toward a low-deductible, high-premium standard. Many of us see high-deductible, low-premium (catastrophic coverage) as a more cost-effective way of using insurance. If we got back to using insurance as insurance, instead of as a really expensive credit card for any health needs, we could restore sanity to the health care market and provide the downward price pressure that is masked under the current arrangement.

I guess I did miss that.

So, basically reserve it for catastrophic medical events?

I think that would be a better way to go, yeah. But that's not really the point. I could be totally wrong. The point I'd like to make is that in our zeal for regulating everything under the sun, we've set up constraints that prevent consumers from trying out alternatives solutions. This is great for the established interests in the health care industry - keeping us all herded is good for business - but it kills rational market dynamics. Now, instead of actually allowing people to look for sane solutions, we've decided to double down on the old school insurance and, through force of law, demand that everyone remain on board a sinking ship.

If we had a single payer system like Medicare for all, the 30 year old would have been making regular doctor visits and might have been enrolled in a wellness program that would have granted him additional tax credits, and the reason he would have gone into a coma is detected early. A little bit of preventative maintenance saved his life and $. Win-win!

are you sure about that?......i know a whole bunch of guys over 50 with Ins. and none of them say they go to the Doctor for the checkups they need at their age....everyone of them say "no one is sticking anything up my ass"....

I'd let a gangbanger die in the streets - I wouldn't help that person.

They're swiss cheese because they made a decision to join a gang and with that comes the consequences.

Gangbangers are a liability to society, taxpayers either pay to incarcerate them or the hospitals eat their medical bills from the lead they caught.....

Not to mention they're collecting welfare...

Not to mention the welfare....

last week someone said it was close to 50 million......another time it was 25 million.....will the real number please stand up?.....

Forum List

Back