3 power substations vandalized in Washington state, over 14K lost power

I never understood vandalism.

Some do crime for profit, others get in a fight to defend their honors. Vandalism doesn't really fulfill any noble objective, even if that objective is ill conceived.
There are levels of vandalism. Tagging
a wall is bad, in some cases good art. Damaging or destroying electrical substations, pipelines, railroads, bridges and telecommunications and is quite another.
In some countries that sort of vandalism is considered sabotage.

I never understood vandalism.

Some do crime for profit, others get in a fight to defend their honors. Vandalism doesn't really fulfill any noble objective, even if that objective is ill conceived.
Your point is well taken however this kind of destruction has the ability to not only inconvenience people but to put lives at risk, especially during periods of extreme cold like we've observed during this incident and the one in North Carolina where there was at least one reported death where someone succumbed to the freezing temperatures.

It could very well be a power trip for someone who is motivated by the thought of having the ability to cause people to suffer and in some cases die due to their actions, even if indirectly.

This stuff's been going on for years.

It's only recently been in the headlines, though.
Indeed, it was those Left wingers named ELF.

**********​

Last edited:

3 power substations vandalized in Washington state, over 14K lost power​

Yeah, I heard about that, but there wasn't any information that I saw, such as how they define "vandalized," or what in particular they found happened there, such as a freak car accident, some stoop clowning around clumsily, or signs of a focused attack by someone who must have had a working insider knowledge of how these places operate and just where their vulnerabilities were.

No suspects are in custody, according to the sheriff's office.
That's not very reassuring. You mean the gate was unlocked, wide open? No security camera? No deterrent?

"It is unknown if there are any motives or if this was a coordinated attack on the power systems," the sheriff's office said in a statement.
They better get another sheriff then. They can't tell if someone just wandered in and tripped the place up at some key point by accident managing not to kill himself surrounded by 40,000 and even 115,000 volts? Or that three power substations were tripped up by accident?

Come to think of it, maybe those three planes that hit the WTC and Pentagon on 9/11 were an uncoordinated accident with no motive, too. :smoke:

DUMMASS, someone out west knows how to get at key distribution nodes and take them out and was looking to test their effectiveness!

Don't you sleep well knowing that our country is so well protected! :banana:

Yeah, I heard about that, but there wasn't any information that I saw, such as how they define "vandalized," or what in particular they found happened there, such as a freak car accident, some stoop clowning around clumsily, or signs of a focused attack by someone who must have had a working insider knowledge of how these places operate and just where their vulnerabilities were.

That's not very reassuring. You mean the gate was unlocked, wide open? No security camera? No deterrent?

They better get another sheriff then. They can't tell if someone just wandered in and tripped the place up at some key point by accident managing not to kill himself surrounded by 40,000 and even 115,000 volts? Or that three power substations were tripped up by accident?

Come to think of it, maybe those three planes that hit the WTC and Pentagon on 9/11 were an uncoordinated accident with no motive, too. :smoke:

DUMMASS, someone out west knows how to get at key distribution nodes and take them out and was looking to test their effectiveness!

Don't you sleep well knowing that our country is so well protected! :banana:

There was a 4th substation hit later in the evening. Here they are calling it 'burglary without anything taken'. WTF is that???

They are investigating if they were coordinated attacks to the system.....ya don't say

Whoever did this, knew enough to not get zapped. I don't know what or if any security measures are in place, other than most are surrounded by locked chain link fences.

There was a 4th substation hit later in the evening. Here they are calling it 'burglary without anything taken'. WTF is that???
There is no such thing as "burglary without anything taken," that becomes "UNAUTHORIZED ENTRY." I call it an aborted, failed attempt at sabotaging a power substation. Maybe they were interrupted and fled.

They are investigating if they were coordinated attacks to the system.....ya don't say
Maybe just a whole bunch of people all just got the same idea to trip up power stations on Christmas! Pure coincidence! Meantime, you need special tools to do anything in there and not get killed! Biden ought to have the entire country on high alert watching all our power stations, along with an emergency decree to guard them and install video and other break in deterrents and measures.

Whoever did this, knew enough to not get zapped. I don't know what or if any security measures are in place, other than most are surrounded by locked chain link fences.
It is dangerous enough being in there even without touching anything.

Indeed, it was those Left wingers named ELF.

**********​
You realize that was almost 30 years ago? Sounds like a stretch. They are classified as domestic terrorists (rightfully) but going by your link, they haven’t been very active since 2009.

Probably meaning no wire was stolen.

There is no such thing as "burglary without anything taken," that becomes "UNAUTHORIZED ENTRY." I call it an aborted, failed attempt at sabotaging a power substation. Maybe they were interrupted and fled.

Maybe just a whole bunch of people all just got the same idea to trip up power stations on Christmas! Pure coincidence! Meantime, you need special tools to do anything in there and not get killed! Biden ought to have the entire country on high alert watching all our power stations, along with an emergency decree to guard them and install video and other break in deterrents and measures.

It is dangerous enough being in there even without touching anything.

I think that could be hard to do. Many of these are rural substations, and there are thousands of them spread about the country.

Some of them are pretty sophisticated, using drones for example.

Forum List

Back