28% of Republicans support Same Sex Marriage

Ops I see, so only 31% of all democrats (voters) are bigoted on the issue of Gay marraige! Whew, LAST YEAR only 44% of Democrats were bigots towards the idea of Gay marraige! Man, what a jump! I wonder what changed the minds of these people that used to be like "ewe gay's getting married" to "hell fucking yeah!"

Like most Americans, they are realizing that gays getting married is not that big a deal...it does not affect their own marriage at all.

I think much of the big swing in acceptance of gay marriage can be attributed to the repeal of DADT. People are realizing that gays are just part of our society.

The question is....why are Republicans still stuck in the 1950s?

I guess my point is RW is that it simply does not matter. The Government should not oppose gay marriage but what a group of people think of it should be left up to that person.

At some point you will see a shift in the Republican party and then you will have nothing to run off as the Democratic party, both parties will be the same. BTW how are all the wars going that you now support that you didn’t before all because now a Democrat gets into office? Still supporting the killing of thousands of civilians in other countries so we can kill terrorists? Thought so… Maybe Gallup can run a poll on Dems against the wars in 2006 or something VS 2011… It will look like the Dem party is going back in times or something lol.

Why are Republicans always 20 years behind the times?

America's "unprecedented" support for gay marriage: By the numbers - The Week

Percentage of Americans who believe "same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages," according to Gallup. "This clearly looks like the beginning of the end of the same-sex marriage debate," says Robert P. Jones at The Huffington Post.

Percentage of Americans who supported legal same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Americans who say same-sex marriage "should not be valid," according to Gallup

Percentage of Americans who said same-sex marriage "should not be valid" in a 1996 Gallup poll. "To go from 41 points behind to 8 points ahead in a decade and a half must count as one of the most successful political and social campaigns in history," says Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Beast.

Percentage of Democrats who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Democrats who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of independents who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of independents who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Republicans who now support legalizing same-sex marriage

Percentage of Republicans who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of 18- to 34-year-olds who support legalizing same-sex marriage, up 16 percentage points from 2010. This "overwhelming" number in favor of marriage equality "makes the trend toward growing acceptance both clear and unstoppable," says Jon Walker at Firedoglake.

States that allow legal same-sex marriages: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The District of Columbia also allows them. "At the moment, those advocating changes in constitutions and laws to allow same-sex marriage in additional states can take heart in the apparent shift in national sentiment in their direction," says Gallup's Frank Newport.

Looks like you are out of luck Ed. You and your boyfriend will have to wait. I's put it this way, "even with radical support from democrats and the liberal media and skewed polls it seems that less than half of Americans support homosexual marriage and only around 1/4 of republicans (who won big last fall) support the concept".

Ops I see, so only 31% of all democrats (voters) are bigoted on the issue of Gay marraige! Whew, LAST YEAR only 44% of Democrats were bigots towards the idea of Gay marraige! Man, what a jump! I wonder what changed the minds of these people that used to be like "ewe gay's getting married" to "hell fucking yeah!"

Like most Americans, they are realizing that gays getting married is not that big a deal...it does not affect their own marriage at all.

I think much of the big swing in acceptance of gay marriage can be attributed to the repeal of DADT. People are realizing that gays are just part of our society.

I guess my point is RW is that it simply does not matter. The Government should not oppose gay marriage but what a group of people think of it should be left up to that person.

At some point you will see a shift in the Republican party and then you will have nothing to run off as the Democratic party, both parties will be the same. BTW how are all the wars going that you now support that you didn’t before all because now a Democrat gets into office? Still supporting the killing of thousands of civilians in other countries so we can kill terrorists? Thought so… Maybe Gallup can run a poll on Dems against the wars in 2006 or something VS 2011… It will look like the Dem party is going back in times or something lol.

My view on current wars

Iraq- Never should have gone in, we should have been out a year ago

Afghanistan- Initial invasion was warranted, ten years is more than enough time for a stable government to form....if it ever will
Get the hell out

Pakistan- Love the drones, always have. Best way to terrorize the terrorists

Libya- Handled correctly. It is a European problem....they created it, let them fix it. I support US indirect involvement and support

Gitmo- Close the sucker

Last edited:

Percentage of Americans who believe "same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages," according to Gallup. "This clearly looks like the beginning of the end of the same-sex marriage debate," says Robert P. Jones at The Huffington Post.

Percentage of Americans who supported legal same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Americans who say same-sex marriage "should not be valid," according to Gallup

Percentage of Americans who said same-sex marriage "should not be valid" in a 1996 Gallup poll. "To go from 41 points behind to 8 points ahead in a decade and a half must count as one of the most successful political and social campaigns in history," says Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Beast.

Percentage of Democrats who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of independents who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of Republicans who supported legalizing same-sex marriage in last year's Gallup poll

Percentage of 18- to 34-year-olds who support legalizing same-sex marriage, up 16 percentage points from 2010. This "overwhelming" number in favor of marriage equality "makes the trend toward growing acceptance both clear and unstoppable," says Jon Walker at Firedoglake.

States that allow legal same-sex marriages: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The District of Columbia also allows them. "At the moment, those advocating changes in constitutions and laws to allow same-sex marriage in additional states can take heart in the apparent shift in national sentiment in their direction," says Gallup's Frank Newport.

Looks like you are out of luck Ed. You and your boyfriend will have to wait. I's put it this way, "even with radical support from democrats and the liberal media and skewed polls it seems that less than half of Americans support homosexual marriage and only around 1/4 of republicans (who won big last fall) support the concept".

Massive swing in public opinion in the last year alone. Like it or not, the writing is on the wall. DOMA is being allowed to whither on the vine. The courts are continuing to rule in defense of gay marriage. Now that the public no longer opposes the concept....even right wing hate mongers will not be able to stop it

Republicans may not be stuck in the 1950s, but the most Conservative Americans are!

Even today, we still get posts from Conservatives claiming Martin Luther King was a Republican. I'm not at all surprised to see some of those same Conservatives trying to claim Dr. King as a Conservative. The Conservatives are just today realizing that Wallace and Bull Connor and Lester Maddox aren't the champions of a legacy they would like to embrace. As homophobia wanes, as most stupid bigotry eventually does, watch the Conservatives jump on the same sex bandwagon. One day even the most vile Conservative will see that assuring same sex couples the same protections and benefits of the marriage contract is actually an exercise in liberty, not the alarm that Western Civilization is about to end.

Republicans will always drag their feet so far as social change and justice is concerned. It's the most rabidly Conservative among them who are stomping on the brakes.

Why is RW'er so obsessed with fags?
Maybe he's obsessed with freedom. I know that's why I support same sex marriage.

You see, when a person no longer harbors ignorance and fear, the mind then can grasp the truth. If someone continues to be ignorant, fearful, bigotted and stupid, they will continue to ask ignorant, fearful, bigotted and stupid questions like "Why is RW'er so obsessed with fags?".

It seems that most people of deep faith [man shall not lay with man as he does a woman] are republican. So when you poll them on such things, they are going to default to what the bible says.

Most of these people are neo-con progs that want bigger or more government controls.

*sigh*

If the GOP could squeeze them out, I'd consider rejoining the party. But churches have deep, deep pockets, soooo.

I'm a Republican ( libertarian-leaning) who has long supported same-sex marriage. I am not gay nor is anyone in my family, as far as I know. ( for those who would think that because I believe in the rights of same-sex marriage as a human right. ) I think Republicans who have been opposed are so based upon scriptures in the Bible. I make my own scriptures. The Golden Rule covers them all.

It seems that most people of deep faith [man shall not lay with man as he does a woman] are republican. So when you poll them on such things, they are going to default to what the bible says.
Most of these people are neo-con progs that want bigger or more government controls.

*sigh*

If the GOP could squeeze them out, I'd consider rejoining the party. But churches have deep, deep pockets, soooo.
Those are the same folks who wring their hands in fear every time they see scenes of Madrases operated by the Taliban.

Funny how God should work in our government but not in an Islamic government.

I think that if we left legislating up to humans and matters of divinity up to God, everything should work out just fine.

Maybe he's obsessed with freedom. I know that's why I support same sex marriage.

You see, when a person no longer harbors ignorance and fear, the mind then can grasp the truth. If someone continues to be ignorant, fearful, bigotted and stupid, they will continue to ask ignorant, fearful, bigotted and stupid questions like "Why is RW'er so obsessed with fags?".

They actually have the right to get married, it's just against the law.

The "Defense of marriage act" is unconstitutional.

The only Constitutional way to restrict/regualate marriage, is at the state level.

Seriously, gays should get to enjoy the bliss of weddings and suffer the horrors of divorce just like everyone else.

Why should they have the right to just walk away peacefully?

*sigh*

Yeah that's why I haven't gotten behind the Tea Party, too many religous overtones, I'm looking for more of an inclusive fiscally conservative message.

*sigh*

Those are the same folks who wring their hands in fear every time they see scenes of Madrases operated by the Taliban.

I think that if we left legislating up to humans and matters of divinity up to God, everything should work out just fine.

well the taliban are tyrants and will kill those that are under their controll and won't live the way they demand.

translation: "i'm gonna stay uncommitted as long as i can so i can milk all the votes i possibly can. i've never been committed to anything nor any belief except that from which i can personally benefit. send money."

:thup:

he's not like the others.......:lol:

Poor thing. You can't marry your butt buddy.

it's a little early to be hitting the mad dog isn't it?

:eusa_shhh:

I didn't slur my words. Nothing wrong with being gay. Is there?

*sigh*

Yeah that's why I haven't gotten behind the Tea Party, too many religous overtones, I'm looking for more of an inclusive fiscally conservative message.

When I left the GOP, I searched around for a new 3rd party to join. I was over joyed to come across "The Constitution Party"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothin but a bunch of bible thumpers.

*sigh*

It's a good thing you were not around in 1776. The founding fathers had a lot of "religious overtones". Thankfully, they didn't let the whiners and nabobdinks distract their mission.

I really don't know..

I have no close friends or family members who are homosexuals. In my dealings with homosexuals, I have found them to be decent, caring individuals who seem to want the same things from life that the rest of us do.

I look at marriage as a lifelong commitment between two people. If heterosexual commitments are recognized and encouraged by our society, then homosexual ones should have equal recognition and incentives. It just seems fair

*sigh*

well the taliban are tyrants and will kill those that are under their controll and won't live the way they demand.

Any group that lets God run their government eventually turn into tyrants. The Pilgrims ran to Massachusetts from England to avoid religious tyrants. Some of those same Pilgrims ran away from those little New England settlements to get away from religious tyrants.

Even the Klan claimed God was on their side as they burned, lynched and killed.

God should have no seat in the legislature.

*sigh*

It's a good thing you were not around in 1776. The founding fathers had a lot of "religious overtones". Thankfully, they didn't let the whiners and nabobdinks distract their mission.

The founding fathers were able to work around those religious overtones without shoving it into government, even saying in the Treaty of Tripoli that christianity had nothing to do with the founding of gov't, I don't the same faith in bureacrats in 2011.

I want a message that sounds good to fiscally conservative american christians/atheists/agnostics/jews/hindus/muslims/etc.

Forum List

Back