$25.00 1961 Stevens 16 ga. Brought Back From The Dead

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
When I went to the local pawn shop this morning I was asked if I wanted a broke shotgun for $25.00. It was part of a four-gun deal he got and he did not want to mess with it.

Not expecting much the owner brought me out a 220E Savage 16 ga in full choke and other than the wrist being cracked on both sides it was not in all that bad shape. I could have lived without the Tru-Oil finish but mechanically it's just fine.

I paid the man and took it home and got to work on it. I was able it inject epoxy into the cracks, clamp, then drill/pin it to where it's serviceable, likely stronger. It turned out OK, nice and tight.

16 002 (2).JPG

I would love to have it. That's a nice looking firearm. I can see myself upland quail and dove hunting with it . So would you say your repairs will hold up under multi firing as in a day in the dove fields?

I would love to have it. That's a nice looking firearm. I can see myself upland quail and dove hunting with it . So would you say your repairs will hold up under multi firing as in a day in the dove fields?
Likely so. The steel pins really do the job in that regard if you know what you are about.

I'm pretty sure I know what happened....When I pulled the stock there was only a flat washer and no lock washer. Likely left out during it's Tru-Oil refinish.

I suspect someone shot it with the stock a bit loose and that is why it cracked.....Of course I installed a lock washer when I put it back together and even a bit of blue locktite on the stock bolt threads. It's the simple things that come back and bite you sometimes.

Shotguns are very unforgiving of loose stocks. Same with loose forends on Auto-5s or Model 11s.

Forum List

Back