20-year-old Mexican police chief fired

I was under the impression that if you can prove your life is in danger, you can qualify for asylum.

She is no longer the police, she got fired. Tough to prove a continuing threat.

How does anyone prove that they are under threat from their original countries though? this made the news so she has a better case than most, Cartels will still kill her whether she is still in the police or not.

Every Mexican is under threat from the cartels. It is a Mexican problem, not US.

She is no longer the police, she got fired. Tough to prove a continuing threat.

How does anyone prove that they are under threat from their original countries though? this made the news so she has a better case than most, Cartels will still kill her whether she is still in the police or not.

Every Mexican is under threat from the cartels. It is a Mexican problem, not US.

Good point, I still think she deserves credit for at least applying to stay here. She could have just come into the country and just lived illegaly and not said a word.

It was her plan all along. She is one smart cookie. She had to know it was a matter of time before she became a target. How much easier is it to ask for asylum when you put yourself in danger???? A free ticket into the 'evil' U. S. of A.

It was her plan all along. She is one smart cookie. She had to know it was a matter of time before she became a target. How much easier is it to ask for asylum when you put yourself in danger???? A free ticket into the 'evil' U. S. of A.

I'll let her stay with me until she gets on her feet, shes a hottie.

[

She left Mexico and the 2 pesos/month job so she could hop the border, shack up with 15 illegals, drop 6 kids in front of the Staute of Liberty, and live on welfare and "I Love Lucy".

[

She left Mexico and the 2 pesos/month job so she could hop the border, shack up with 15 illegals, drop 6 kids in front of the Staute of Liberty, and live on welfare and "I Love Lucy".

If thats true why would she apply for asylum? the difference is she actually applied for something, instead of just hiding and doing the things that you said.

[

If thats true why would she apply for asylum? the difference is she actually applied for something, instead of just hiding and doing the things that you said.

OK, Why don't all Mexicans apply for asylum?

There are actual cases where the Mexican Police tried to arrest a plane load of drug smuggles and were shot up by the Mexican Army. I don't believe anyone took a shot at her. She just took a dangerous job.

Last edited:

I don't know but the point is she did, shes not trying to be here illegally because if that were the case she would just go to a sanctuary city and be done with it.

I don't know but the point is she did, shes not trying to be here illegally because if that were the case she would just go to a sanctuary city and be done with it.

Give her time and her 15 minutes of fame.

Hey! Getting drafted and going to Nam was dangerous too!

Let's see how many sanctuary cities we have when their federal funding is withheld for noncompliance with federal rules and laws

She most likely IS in San Francisco waiting to be granted asylum.

marisol_valles_0310.jpg

When 20-year old criminology student Marisol Valles was sworn in as a police chief in the embattled Mexican state of Chihuahua in October, she became an instant celebrity as the bravest woman in Mexico. Pundits and media commentators cheered the slight, bespectacled, innocent-looking young mother who had the guts to stand up to the drug cartels. What made her especially valiant was the fact that her predecessor as police chief of the small farming town of Praxedis Guadalupe Guerrero had been kidnapped and beheaded. The new sheriff said she would not even carry a gun, but would focus instead on community policing to cure the murderous ills.

Now, five months later, Valles has hit world news again with more ominous headlines: she has become the latest Mexican to seek political asylum in the United States. In her short-lived career she received reported death threats while many fellow police officers in Chihuahua were killed or fled. Like many asylum seekers, she will likely argue that her government is incapable of offering her protection from murderers.

Valles' case draws attention to a rising phenomenon — Mexicans seeking asylum in the United States using drug war violence as a rationale. Other recent cases include a cameraman from Durango state who had been kidnapped for a week until his TV station aired a narco propaganda video; an American-paid informant who says he would be strung from a tree if he steps foot south of the Rio Grande; and a Ciudad Juarez police officer who survived one bullet from gangsters and didn't want to stay around to be shot again. With the level of bloodshed in northern Mexico, immigration lawyers say, these asylum seekers have good arguments as to why Uncle Sam should offer them refuge. "A couple of years ago I wouldn't rarely move forward with Mexican political asylum applications as judges would almost always refuse them," says Houston immigration lawyer John Nechman. "Now I am handling three cases, which are all to do with drug related violence, and I have bunch of other possible cases I could take on."
Read more: Will Mexico's Runaway Sheriff Find Asylum in the U.S.? - TIME

marisol_valles_0310.jpg

When 20-year old criminology student Marisol Valles was sworn in as a police chief in the embattled Mexican state of Chihuahua in October, she became an instant celebrity as the bravest woman in Mexico. Pundits and media commentators cheered the slight, bespectacled, innocent-looking young mother who had the guts to stand up to the drug cartels. What made her especially valiant was the fact that her predecessor as police chief of the small farming town of Praxedis Guadalupe Guerrero had been kidnapped and beheaded. The new sheriff said she would not even carry a gun, but would focus instead on community policing to cure the murderous ills.

Now, five months later, Valles has hit world news again with more ominous headlines: she has become the latest Mexican to seek political asylum in the United States. In her short-lived career she received reported death threats while many fellow police officers in Chihuahua were killed or fled. Like many asylum seekers, she will likely argue that her government is incapable of offering her protection from murderers.

Valles' case draws attention to a rising phenomenon — Mexicans seeking asylum in the United States using drug war violence as a rationale. Other recent cases include a cameraman from Durango state who had been kidnapped for a week until his TV station aired a narco propaganda video; an American-paid informant who says he would be strung from a tree if he steps foot south of the Rio Grande; and a Ciudad Juarez police officer who survived one bullet from gangsters and didn't want to stay around to be shot again. With the level of bloodshed in northern Mexico, immigration lawyers say, these asylum seekers have good arguments as to why Uncle Sam should offer them refuge. "A couple of years ago I wouldn't rarely move forward with Mexican political asylum applications as judges would almost always refuse them," says Houston immigration lawyer John Nechman. "Now I am handling three cases, which are all to do with drug related violence, and I have bunch of other possible cases I could take on."

I heard her 12 year old brother, the mayor, will apoint his 16 year old gangbanger brother Jose to the job of Chief of Police.:lol:

marisol_valles_0310.jpg

It's ALL been a ploy! People in that God forsaken country will do ANYTHING to get the hey out of there! Just wait until the 'tsunami' of asylum seekers hit the news and OUR shores!

She'd be a trophy for the drug cartels...
:eek:
'Bravest woman in Mexico' seeks asylum in United States
May 23, 2011 - Marisol Valles Garcia says threats forced her to leave, gave her "fear that will last a lifetime"; She was police chief for four months in the border town of Praxedis G. Guerrero; Her idealism drew international attention; Attorney: "She represented the average person saying, 'No more'"
When the cell phone rang, the words "private number" flashed on the screen. Marisol Valles Garcia knew who was calling. The threatening, mysterious voice on the other end of the line had hounded her for almost four months. But this phone call had a starkly sinister tone. The man said something he'd never said before. He was coming to pick up the 21-year-old police chief at the station. "Some people" wanted to see her, he said. The same day -- March 1 -- her mother spotted strange cars driving past the family's home. Valles Garcia knew it was only a matter of time before they closed in.

She called her husband and told him to grab their 1-year-old son. Four months after headlines around the world heralded her as the "bravest woman in Mexico," Valles Garcia plotted a hasty escape across a remote border crossing in West Texas. Terrified of being tortured or killed, she fled the country without packing a suitcase. With her parents, sisters, husband and son, Valles Garcia crossed a footbridge into the United States and asked for asylum. "I came here for the security my country cannot provide for me," she told CNN in a recent interview. "The fear will never go away. What I experienced is a fear that will last a lifetime."

t1larg.mexico.chief.fired.gi.jpg

Marisol Valles Garcia, pictured in October, was the only person who accepted the top police job in Praxedis, Mexico.

A few days after she left Mexico, Valles Garcia learned her mother's house had been ransacked. She is hiding in the United States while she awaits a ruling in her asylum case, and agreed to speak with CNN in El Paso, Texas. The asylum process is a lengthy legal road that could take up to three years, El Paso attorney Carlos Spector said, and there's no guarantee U.S. authorities will grant the request. But Spector said one thing is certain: Going back to Mexico would be a death sentence. "I have no doubt she will be killed," said Spector, who calls Valles Garcia "the Rosa Parks of Mexico." "She is a trophy for the cartels. She represented the average person saying, 'No more,'" he said.

Last October, Valles Garcia took a job no one wanted. She became police chief in the small Mexican border town of Praxedis G. Guerrero. The previous police chief had been murdered. Drug cartel assassins cut off his head. Nationwide, the Mexican government says there have been more than 34,600 drug-related deaths since President Felipe Calderon began a crackdown on cartels in December 2006. Praxedis, located only about 35 miles away from Ciudad Juarez, is in a region that has seen some of the bloodiest conflict, as rival cartels fight over smuggling routes into the United States.

MORE

Forum List

Back