2 tesla Magnetic Shield placed at Mars Lagrange point would shield Martian atmosphere for affordable

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
2 tesla Magnetic Shield placed at Mars Lagrange point would shield Martian atmosphere for affordable partial terraforming

An inflatable structure(s) can generate a magnetic dipole field at a level of perhaps 1 or 2 Tesla (or 10,000 to 20,000 Gauss) as an active shield against the solar wind and allow the Martian atmosphere to thicken overtime.
Mars atmosphere would naturally thicken over time, which lead to many new possibilities for human exploration and colonization. According to Green and his colleagues, these would include an average increase of about 4 °C (~7 °F), which would be enough to melt the carbon dioxide ice in the northern polar ice cap. This would trigger a greenhouse effect, warming the atmosphere further and causing the water ice in the polar caps to melt.

I wonder what you think about this?

2 tesla Magnetic Shield placed at Mars Lagrange point would shield Martian atmosphere for affordable partial terraforming

An inflatable structure(s) can generate a magnetic dipole field at a level of perhaps 1 or 2 Tesla (or 10,000 to 20,000 Gauss) as an active shield against the solar wind and allow the Martian atmosphere to thicken overtime.
Mars atmosphere would naturally thicken over time, which lead to many new possibilities for human exploration and colonization. According to Green and his colleagues, these would include an average increase of about 4 °C (~7 °F), which would be enough to melt the carbon dioxide ice in the northern polar ice cap. This would trigger a greenhouse effect, warming the atmosphere further and causing the water ice in the polar caps to melt.

I guess they want man-made global warming on Mars.

• Banned

I guess they want man-made global warming on Mars.

It would be a good thing for human colonization.

The shield is interesting, but first we should do some more exploration - by remotes? - to make sure there's something there that would warrant the expenditures to go there & set up a scientific research station &/or a colony. I'm all in favor of exploration for its own sake, but it would be helpful to have some likely payoff in the near future.

Would be all for it. Colonizing space really is the next frontier for man before trying to reach even grater heights.

Forum List

Back