2 dollar PVC adapter saved me $220 bucks on AC service!

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
The condensation drain line for my AC unit was clogged and causing the water to back up into the AC unit. The guy wanted 220 bucks to blow it out with his air compressor! I said uh uh. I picked up a PVC hose adapter that connects to a garden hose on one end and slips into the PVC drain line on the other end. Voila! I ran water through the line for about a minute and it was cleared. Maybe that 2 dollar hack will save you some bucks.

The condensation drain line for my AC unit was clogged and causing the water to back up into the AC unit. The guy wanted 220 bucks to blow it out with his air compressor! I said uh uh. I picked up a PVC hose adapter that connects to a garden hose on one end and slips into the PVC drain line on the other end. Voila! I ran water through the line for about a minute and it was cleared. Maybe that 2 dollar hack will save you some bucks.
It is funny you mentioned this today because I washed out my AC condensate line using the garden hose adapter just this morning.

I usually do it a couple of times during the summer.

Are you referring to the drain line off the condenser in the attic?
Had one of those clog up with green slime.
I pushed some stiff wire through it till it came out in the attic drain pan and twisted a red shop rag on it and pulled it through.
Clean as a whistle.

He mentioned that, but all he had was an air compressor and my shop vac broke because it's so old. The garden hose adapter is nice because you don't have to deal with the mess of a shop vac.
That's fine I'm sure. Pour some bleach in the drip pan periodically and it will stay clear. Usually the blockage is caused by a kind of floating mold.

ac algae tablets.JPG

Are you referring to the drain line off the condenser in the attic?
Had one of those clog up with green slime.
I pushed some stiff wire through it till it came out in the attic drain pan and twisted a red shop rag on it and pulled it through.
Clean as a whistle.
Yes but mine goes out along the ground floor to a drain outside. I have a plumber's snake but the narrow pipe bends were darn near 90 degrees, I couldn't get a snake through the line.

Forum List

Back